Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
West Kansas would be a good place to get some heat lightning shots. Its like fire work shows out there. Here in Florida its like artillery strikes.

06-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

build a better mousetrap

QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
I read somewhere (here ? ) that it's possible to wire a flash optical slave sensor to the camera so it acts like a remote. Sudden flash (=lightning) and it triggers the camera.
Not sure where you read it, but I have always wanted to build a lightning trigger. I have read about some fancy ones, but thought I would give a simple version a try.

Went to a local camera repair shop (yes, some still exist) and inquired about a cheap flash, brand didn't matter, and it didn't matter if it worked or not, I explained all I wanted was the foot. He gave me one (really cheap looking from the 1970's) no charge.

Unscrewed the foot, connected the wires to a mini audio plug, (center pin of the plug to the center of the flash foot) plugged it into my *istD, and manually triggered my flash (simulated lightning)

Shutter tripped just fine.

Now I have a flash triggered camera, next step is lightning. Forcast for the upcoming 4 days is evening thunder storms.

If I get a shot, I'll post it

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-25-2008 at 09:57 AM.
06-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not sure where you read it, but I have always wanted to build a lightning trigger. I have read about some fancy ones, but thought I would give a simple version a try.

Went to a local camera repair shop (yes, some still exist) and inquired about a cheap flash, brand didn't matter, and it didn't matter if it worked or not, I explained all I wanted was the foot. He gave me one (really cheap looking from the 1970's) no charge.

Unscrewed the foot, connected the wires to a mini audio plug, (center pin of the plug to the center of the flash foot) plugged it into my *istD, and manually triggered my flash (simulated lightning)

Shutter tripped just fine.

Now I have a flash triggered camera, next step is lightning. Forcast for the upcoming 4 days is evening thunder storms.

If I get a shot, I'll post it
What you are describing sounds more simple than the link you posted above. What about using and old style remove slave trigger?
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What you are describing sounds more simple than the link you posted above. What about using and old style remove slave trigger?
That's what I am using. the only marking's on my trigger are "Mini-Cell" and "Made in Japan"

I bought it about 4 years ago, really cheap, from a photo store, just to give remote trigger to an old Sunpak Autozoom 3000 flash for background lighting.

it seems to work just fine as a camera trigger, the only question is about sensitivity. how bright a flash do I need to set this off. That will be known hopefully after the weekend.