Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Hey Brian I just hope the info helps, you don't look to need advice considering how sharp your images are
Thanks! There's much cross-over between photographic disciplines, composition, light (whether you're making it or looking for it), and most importantly, the location of the 'delete' key. But, this sort of action shooting is not at all my forte, and motocross is totally foreign to me, so your experience, advice, and examples are a tremendous help at getting up to speed!

I thought I'd throw in some more images for the hell of it, they're all jumps too though from different points on the track. The last one was shot at 1/125s as he was moving away. It was the only one of four images that were sharp enough to process and to be honest I was surprised this one even worked. Slow shutter speeds and subjects approaching or leaving tend to be bad combos.
All groovy, I really like the last one too. Those colourful sponsor banners have potential to be annoying, but when you nail the rider between a gap like this I think they add to the interest and context.

Here's some images on the National MX webpage that includes some pretty cool wide angle images. I attended rounds 9 and 10 if you're interested in comparing: Images Archives - MX Nationals
Some of those wide-angles in the 'gopro' galleries are insanely cool, remote cameras that may be sacrificed to the dirt gods look like a prerequisite.

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
I'm really likin' these motorcross images. Keep 'em coming.
Cheers. I'm afraid if I post many more they'll start to get repetitive. Hahaha.

I wasn't really planning on stitching these together when I was shooting, but it worked out pretty well. Next time I'll start the sequence earlier to get a full arc, make sure I get more of the surrounding area, and be more mindful of the background throughout the entire sequence (the flag-dudes placement was luckily interesting, the trailer is hideous though).

Some really good stuff from this bloke brian including examples of being on the outside of the corner: Bart Amsing | Flickr

@ 1/30s
Tas
I see what you mean about Bart's cornering photos - those dirt waves are simple amazing!

And another impressive panning shot...the thought crossed my mind are you using Shake Reduction with your K-1 for these? I understand it's supposed to detect panning now? My attempts with panning with SR have been a failure (mostly vs other subjects and with my k5iis).

09-22-2016, 10:25 PM - 4 Likes   #227
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope to get to the coast again soon

Having moved from Newcastle I'm no longer a short drive from a surf coast. A shame but that's life. With any luck I'll get some more surfers this weekend after a sunrise.

Here's some surf shots from earlier this year with the K5 and DA*300.

Tas
09-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #228
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Red Bull Reign 3 x 3 Basketball Comp in Oz

My plans for a sunrise on the coast looked unpromising with no cloud and no surf to entice the surfers so I decided to head into Brisvegas for a coffee and brekky on the Bike. As I took the bike parking would be cheap/free but I could only take a couple of lenses. I went with the Zeiss 85 f1.4 and the D-FA 15-30. After brekkie I took the camera with the 15-30 for a walk and came across an event being set up. I said g'day to one of the security blokes and found it was the Red Bull Reign competition. I captured a ton of images but the harsh light and hot sun (I was wering a black motorcycle jacket) meant I left early. Still anyone in Oz living in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne have an opportunity to capture the comp in October.

The details and competition info for Oz:

Red Bull Reign is a national Basketball event where teams compete in the ultimate 3 x 3 battle testing endurance, skills, teamwork, and ability to own their court while trying to accumulate the most points possible to outlast their opponents. Red Bull Reign is different than all other 3 x 3 basketball tournaments because of the amount of games played and the point accumulation twist.

Regional Qualifiers:

Gold Coast – August 6 & 7 2016
Townsville - July 30 2016

The winning team from each regional qualifier will receive a cash prize and gain automatic entry (including travel and accommodation) into their corresponding state qualifier listed below.

State Qualifiers;

Perth – September 17 2016
Brisbane – September 24 2016
Adelaide – October 8 2016
Sydney – Oct 15 2016
Melbourne (National Final) – Oct 22 2016

The winning team at each state qualifier receives a cash prize and a spot in the Red Bull Reign National Finals in Melbourne on October 22nd, where they have the chance to win an additional cash prize of $8,000 and be crowned the Red Bull Reign National Champions.

<a href="http://www.redbull.com.au/au/en/events/1331797405755/red-bull-reign" rel="nofollow">www.redbull.com.au/au/en/events/1331797405755/red-bull-reign</a>

And some pics from today.

Tas
09-24-2016, 03:05 PM - 3 Likes   #229
Veteran Member

Last wave

09-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm afraid if I post many more they'll start to get repetitive. Hahaha.
Awesome shot and stitching Tas!
I know what you mean. They aren't repetitive to me each has their own fingerprint in the details.

Here's some surf shots from earlier this year with the K5 and DA*300.
I like the detail in all three of these and that third one, WOW really like that.

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 08:35 AM ----------

Middle school favorites from this week. Its always hard to pick when you have this much light to shoot with. I kinda like the warmth introduced as the sun starts to get low.

myFlickr

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 08:50 AM ----------

I missed two Fridays ago and this past Thursday's game. Had something come up at work that kept me off the field -- hate when that happens!

This last Friday we played on field that had not so desirable lights. Aside from the quantity of light, you can see the inconsistencies in color in the below due to the fluctuating frequencies of the lights. To compensate I adjust temp and in some cases the yellow/orange/green saturation slider. It is give and take though I hone in on the whites and get them as close as possible.

It is probably more evident if you scroll through the small icons of this album. You can see all the different shades of green/yellow/orange the grass is on these. In post I focus more on the subjects than the landscape though. Next step is to force myself into Photoshop and learn to brush up my favorites for presentation.

20160923 Wind vs Bulldogs | Flickr

myFlickr
09-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #231
Pentaxian

High school volleyball

Pentax k-50 and Sigma 70 F/2.8 macro. Photos taken in manual mode at F/2.8 1/200 sec. ISO-4000 manual white balance.I think someone asked if the Sigma was fast enough at focusing for sports, i have taken over a thousand volleyball photos with the Sigma with no problem as long as i'm not to close. When the players are very close to me i have trouble surely due to the narrow depth of field which i simply try to avoid.

Last edited by bschriver11; 07-17-2017 at 03:18 PM.
10-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #232
Pentaxian

To continue the volleyball theme (k3ii + da 70, manual exposure and wb)

10-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #233
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here's one from me to throw in the mix...

10-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #234
Pentaxian

10-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #235
Pentaxian

sprint football

Last edited by aaacb; 10-22-2016 at 07:14 AM.
10-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #236
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some more Red Bull Reign Basketball

Tas
10-25-2016, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #237
Pentaxian

DA15

DA* 60-250

DA 40
10-30-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #238

Photos: Albums
Last month I participated in a vertical kilometer race, whihc is 1k+ vertical climb in 5km horizontal. Somehow I survived, and had taken up my K-30 with the 15mm DA attached, as the lightest weight combo I could muster, and grabbed a few shots of the later competitors on their way up (the race is run as a time trial, with competitors going off at minute intervals). I got to the top in thick mist, but 5 minutes later it cleared wonderfully, so here is a small selection:

10-31-2016, 06:50 PM - 4 Likes   #239
Pentaxian

We had our last football game of the season Friday. The first drive of our opponent ended with a nice interception in the end zone. I was following the receiver and caught a series of shots of the play.

10-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #240

Congrats on a TRULY EPIC capture!!! IMO the best action sequence in the thread!!! What an interception! What gear were you using?