Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M100/2.8:

12-16-2017, 07:36 AM - 3 Likes   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

football season pics

Decided to wait until end of season this year to go through and pick some of my favs...too many to post. As always when lighting is good the pictures are great and easy to get. High School Stadium quality/quantity of lighting is dismal at best most of the time.

Had a good time this year taking these. Equipment used -- K-5iis with DA*200 and K3ii with DA*50-135.

myFlickr
12-22-2017, 05:33 PM - 5 Likes   #303
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blast from the past...

...well, last year anyway.

I managed to get to the final two rounds of the Oz National MX Championships. From memory this was the first opportunity I had to take the D-FA* 70-200 along. It was impressive from the outset too working really well with the K-1.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 12-23-2017 at 04:45 AM.
01-08-2018, 10:44 AM - 6 Likes   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just had a nice sporty weekend with some wild ice skating Saturday (due to lack of snow) and then powder skiing Sunday. Fun!
We had to hike a few miles down into this canyon to get this ice which was totally worth it!
K-1 & 15-30

Then it snowed, starting as we hiked out, making for some nice skiing Sunday.
K-3 & 18-135

01-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #305
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Just had a nice sporty weekend with some wild ice skating Saturday (due to lack of snow) and then powder skiing Sunday. Fun! We had to hike a few miles down into this canyon to get this ice which was totally worth it!
Sounds like an excellent trip Matt. Ta for sharing as I'm about to go outside and sweat my butt off.

I think your images tell the story well too and are worth clicking on to view on the black matte on Flickr. The patterns in the ice of the first image could be an art piece all by themselves.

Tas
01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Sounds like an excellent trip Matt. Ta for sharing as I'm about to go outside and sweat my butt off.

I think your images tell the story well too and are worth clicking on to view on the black matte on Flickr. The patterns in the ice of the first image could be an art piece all by themselves.

Tas
Thanks! The great thing about this "trip" is it was all local to me and I slept in my own bed!
01-10-2018, 01:23 AM - 3 Likes   #307
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

National MX Championships from 2016, K-1 and the D-FA 70-200.

K-1 and the 150-450.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 01-10-2018 at 04:16 PM.
01-12-2018, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #308
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tracking a rider at 1/40s, D-FA 150-450 & K-1.

Tas
01-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We had to hike a few miles down into this canyon to get this ice which was totally worth it!
awesome views and great pics, blast Matt. I've never ice skated before, but that really looks fun, particularly the hike to location for a day of skating. The skiing picture is phenomenal.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
National MX Championships
All your motorcross pics are great Tas! I especially like the one a couple post back where rider is coming at you over the burm with the track in the background.
01-12-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #310
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Test cricket. The ultimate rivalry is for "The Ashes" between England and Australia.

Q7 + DFA100WR. Hand held from the grand stand.

Ashes day 3
01-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
awesome views and great pics, blast Matt. I've never ice skated before, but that really looks fun, particularly the hike to location for a day of skating. The skiing picture is phenomenal.
Thanks! I skated a lot as a kid in Michigan and then didn't for something like 20 years. I skated every now and then for he last decade or so but only just got the long blade speed skates which are a ton of fun and much more appropriate on this kind of ice than my old hockey skates. So I'm now hoping for either no snow or lots of it because a little just messes up the ice but still doesn't make skiing that good.

Colorado Public Radio just did a little radio interview with an old friend (and college professor) in the skating scene here explaining it.
Skaters Chase The Slick Draw Of Wild Ice Around Gunnison | CPR
01-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #312
Veteran Member

Great stuff here! I'm excited to be seeing this image I took in August at the Pro Challenge in Mountain Flyer, a cycling magazine (mostly mountain biking) soon.
As you might imagine weather sealing came into play for this. I also had my Metz 58 AF-2 which isn't sealed but I had it all wrapped in a bag.
Others put their cameras away and the TV cameras couldn't beam up to the helicopter so the WR setup really paid off for me.
K-3 & DA* 16-50
Nice one Matt of the savage sport of cycle racing. I am an ex-racer and turned to photography. Reminds me that I need to print some B&W negatives from the Tour of Italy which started in my home town in Ireland a few years back.
01-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Q7 + DFA100WR. Hand held from the grand stand
Impressive result for such a small sensor. What was the shutter speed?

This kit is so you can work within a max. 200mm FL lens restriction imposed on spectators to keep them from intruding upon the work of professional photographers?

How much cropping of the frame is there in this shot?

Dan.
01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Nice one Matt of the savage sport of cycle racing. I am an ex-racer and turned to photography. Reminds me that I need to print some B&W negatives from the Tour of Italy which started in my home town in Ireland a few years back.
Thanks!
I'd be interested to see some of your old shots! I used to race too but only offroad for me. I'm still a pretty avid cyclist and use my mountain bike to get to photo locations when it makes sense.
I keep losing friends to car/bike accidents so I've been road riding less and less the past few years. I do still bike commute on my fixed gear but that's a pretty short neighborhood trip.
The same year as this shot I also got to do a stage of the Pro Challenge on the back of a press moto which was really fun! Hard but fun.
01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #315
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
All your motorcross pics are great Tas! I especially like the one a couple post back where rider is coming at you over the burm with the track in the background.
Thanks Russell, glad you're enjoying them, MX is an excellent event to capture and I hope to get back to some this year. I've plenty more from this series too so I'll drop some more in the thread.

Tas