Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After only winning one game last year we are 3-0 to start this season. Here are a few of my favorite shots from this week. Most are with the Bigma in the first quarter. I switched to the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 after the first quarter.

This one was with the 70-200.

09-03-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #422
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Riding with M85/2

09-03-2018, 08:32 PM - 3 Likes   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cycling yesterday at the West Elk Classic with a K-1ii & 24-70/2.8 and a K-3 with a Tamron 70-200/3.8
Road racing with some long dirt pass stretches to keep it interesting.

Long course race winner Dave Wiens

"Wheelie Guy" who pulls these off every year in the final climb after 120+ miles. Impressive!
09-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #424
Veteran Member

Many great photos posted by many people here, I have enjoyed catching up with this thread.

My son is playing high school football this year at WR. Looking for advice from GvilleRick and Rtmarwitz (and anyone else with experience shooting football). I have a K-5 and K-5iis. Primary lens for better light will be a Sigma 100-300 f4, and in lower light a Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

1) What setting do you use for focus? I am trying to choose between center point and Auto 5
2) Do you use a Monopod?
3) What mode do you shoot in? I have experimented with AV, M, and was thinking of TAV.
4) What's the highest ISO you use?
5) Advice on field positioning?
6) I am surprised by how difficult it is to keep up with the action on pass plays. You don't know where it's going, and getting focus on the eventual receiver is very tough!
7) What other tips do you have?

Thanks for your help!

09-05-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #425
Forum Member

jake14mw asked:

------
1) What setting do you use for focus? I am trying to choose between center point and Auto 5

I tried using autofocus for sports with just a single center point but didn't like it... too many shots with the background in focus when it slides off of a player.

Auto 5 works much better for me.

------
2) Do you use a Monopod?

Only if I'm shooting my 500mm; for 300mm and less I hand-hold. This is really just personal preference, however: some people can hand-hold a 500mm, and some use a monopod even for short teles.

------
3) What mode do you shoot in? I have experimented with AV, M, and was thinking of TAV.

I almost always shoot sports on M. For night games, I set the exposure strictly by looking at the image histograms; I don't use the metering system at all.

------

On my K-70 I use ISO 6400 a lot and it works great, but at ISO 12800 the image quality degrades too much for me.

This really depends a lot upon the camera. Your older K-5s may not work as well at 6400 as my newer K-70. But certainly try 6400 and see what you think.

------

Don't stand too close to the field, and absolutely don't kneel down unless you are fast and agile. Football players, even in high school, can get to the sideline much faster than you might think, and you don't want to risk being injured in a collision.

Other than that, move around a lot and try different angles, and don't discount shooting from up in the grandstands.

------
6) I am surprised by how difficult it is to keep up with the action on pass plays. You don't know where it's going, and getting focus on the eventual receiver is very tough!

Learn to predict, and let the action come to you, rather than simply react. Learn who your team's top receivers are, and learn the situations where the coach likes to call a pass play. Then, when you think a pass is coming, pick one of the good receivers and just follow him (don't watch the quarterback or anyone else). If you guessed right, you have a good chance to get a great shot. If you guessed wrong, you get nothing, but them's the breaks.

------

Shoot a lot of games! If your son is on the varsity, then shoot the JV games as well... they're good practice. If you have a college nearby then shoot some of their games as well (although some colleges may not let you shoot from the sidelines unless you have a press pass).
09-08-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #426
Pentaxian

Hi, jake14mw

I use center point most of the time but have also used 33 point. I need to try the other options. The main thing is I do have my camera set to use the AF rear button to focus and once I got used to it I like it much better.

2) Do you use a Monopod?
I'm like richfam, I do use monopod when using the Bigma most of the time but sometimes will even shoot it handheld when there is lots of light. My main lens is usually the Sigma 70-200 and on the K5iis it worked really well. I have to crop more with it on the K1 since it is full frame. I also use a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for closeup shots of cheerleaders, crowd, sideline shots, etc.

I usually shoot TAv when there is plenty of light and set it to something like 1/800 to 1/1250 and f4 to f6.3.
I also switch to manual mode as the sun goes down and the lights come on. I drop to something like 1/320 to 1/500 and f2.8 to 3.5 or so. I also use a flash frequently so then it is set to 1/200 and I set the flash in manual mode to 1/4 or 1/8.

On my K5iis I tried to stay under 3200 but would use 6400 at times. You just need to experiment and see what you like. On the K1 I can use 6400 with no problem and have it set to use 6400 as the max in TAv mode. I still prefer 1600-3200 as much as possible.

Like richfam said, move around and try different angles. It can depend on what the school will allow. I teach at our High School and can shoot from anywhere and will sometimes go into the Press Box to get some shots as well as in the stands.

I like shooting from behind the endzone as the team is getting close to scoring but the referees can get in the way. Last night we stopped our opponent from scoring and I decided to stay behind the endzone for the first few plays of our offense for a different view. This shot shows some pressure coming. The QB threw quickly to a WR and it resulted in an 82 yard TD. I missed the catch since I was behind the linemen but I liked this shot. I also git a shot of the throw and the team celebrating.

I will kneel some but you do have to be ready to move. Last night I had to move pretty quickly to get out of the way once. When the player starts to get bigger in the viewfinder it is time to move.

This takes a combination of practice, learning to anticipate what could happen, and luck. Obviously you have a particular player you would concentrate on so you can follow him and be more likely to catch the play. I have watched our team enough that I can often guess who might get the throw. A few times the QB actually told me where he planned to throw next. Still, most of my best shots were from just being lucky enough to be in the right spot and looking at the right player.

I agree 100% with richfam, shoot other games if you can. Shooting JV for me has several advantages. One is that they start at 6pm instead of 7:30 so there is more light. It can be harsh at times so that means having to watch when shooting into the sun. JV is also a bit slower so you can follow the action a bit more. There may be fewer passes but the passes that are attempted are usually more predictable and shorter routes. It is also generally more relaxed so you usually have more freedom to move around. I've shot scrimmages where I was allowed to be on the playing field.

Once you've shot some be sure and post your favorites here.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:10 AM ----------

We were on the road last night and the game was a nail biter. We ended up scoring in the final five minutes to take a 1 point lead and then held on for the win. We are 4-0 to start a season for the first time since 1967. We had an 82 yard TD pass for our first score but the rest of the game was a pound it out type of game.

09-09-2018, 05:16 AM   #427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax AW and WR in use

I've been using Pentax AW and WR gear for some time now. I finally had the guts to try it out the past Friday. It rained for 3 of the 4 quarters in this game and at times pretty hard. I was really nervous, but everything worked well and so far there doesn't seem to be any moisture intrusion. I did let my gear ride open air in the back seats of the car for the 2.5 hour drive home and then at home for the next day and half.

Quantity of light was decent, but I have been at better venues.The quality of the light was above average for high school football. This is my first season with the K-1 and its exactly what I wanted compared to the K-3. I can shoot is at 6400 and even 12800 and the noise levels are more than acceptable for these types of photos. I believe all the below were shot at 6400.

09-09-2018, 05:48 AM   #428
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
Hi, jake14mw

I also use a flash frequently so then it is set to 1/200 and I set the flash in manual mode to 1/4 or 1/8.

Thank you very much to Richfam and GvilleRick for answering my questions, I appreciate it. Rick, is your flash on camera? How do you prevent ghosting at 1/200? The K-5ii max synch speed is 1/180. Have you ever tried HSS?

I have to try and learn to use back button focus.
09-09-2018, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #429
Veteran Member

My son's first football game since he was 9 years old. He's a HS senior, WR #5. Had a big game, proud of him. Biggest problem for me, as a parent, you don't see the game very well when taking pictures! These are some of the best ones, many many worse ones taken. By the end of the game proper is exposure is somewhere around 1/350 f2.8 ISO6400. Very difficult then.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-09-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
I've been using Pentax AW and WR gear for some time now. I finally had the guts to try it out the past Friday. It rained for 3 of the 4 quarters in this game and at times pretty hard.
I've shot junior athletics and soccer in the rain. I like the extra drama and determination that you see in heavy rain. And the splashing around. I use the DA* 60-250/F4. It's OK for about 60-90 mins but eventually the changes in internal volume from constant zooming in and out seems to draw moist air into the lens and it fogs up. An internal focus (IF) zoom lens would probably be better.

K-5 for sports-photography - Page 40 - PentaxForums.com

If shooting a subject some distance away in heavy rain, the amount of rain greatly decreases the contrast. (I think it's more than just the heavily overcast conditions.) I find it worthwhile to increase the Contrast/raise the Black Point when you develop the images.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-09-2018 at 06:48 AM.
09-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
football game
So...did the kid catch that pass? The suspense is killing me.
09-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
So...did the kid catch that pass? The suspense is killing me.
Ha, no. It was a little too long. Off his fingertips!
09-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Biggest problem for me, as a parent, you don't see the game very well when taking pictures!
Yeah, I get asked often after a game what I thought about it. I rarely have my eyes off the camera during plays with the thought I might miss a shot. At best you can see how big the holes are for the running backs.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I like the extra drama and determination that you see in heavy rain. And the splashing around.
I have not shot sports in the rain before, but I know the photos are getting a lot of attention from players, parents, studetns etc. on flickr. Most likely due to the added rain element. It was fun looking through them afterward, but I'd be lying if I said I look forward to shooting in the rain again. It still makes me a bit nervous.
09-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #434
Pentaxian

Thank you very much to Richfam and GvilleRick for answering my questions, I appreciate it. Rick, is your flash on camera? How do you prevent ghosting at 1/200? The K-5ii max synch speed is 1/180. Have you ever tried HSS?

I have to try and learn to use back button focus.
Yes, I have a AF 540 flash that works well. I have used HSS at times and it works well. The shots you posted look great.
09-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #435

QuoteOriginally posted by richfam Quote
jake14mw asked:]

------

Learn to predict, and let the action come to you, rather than simply react. Learn who your team's top receivers are, and learn the situations where the coach likes to call a pass play. Then, when you think a pass is coming, pick one of the good receivers and just follow him (don't watch the quarterback or anyone else). If you guessed right, you have a good chance to get a great shot. If you guessed wrong, you get nothing, but them's the breaks.
As mentioned above, learn to anticipate the plays - that comes from experience. Also, keep both eyes open!! You would be amazed at what is going on just outside the viewfinder. With both eyes open, you will catch action happening and be able to react quicker. This too takes some practice to get used to doing.