Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
I know the photos are getting a lot of attention from players, parents, studetns etc. on flickr.
That's part of the fun. If--as I suspect--you tend to post photos of 'your' team making good plays, it helps build confidence. I've even had coaches ask to see the full shoot, looking for things that need correcting.

09-11-2018, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That's part of the fun. If--as I suspect--you tend to post photos of 'your' team making good plays, it helps build confidence. I've even had coaches ask to see the full shoot, looking for things that need correcting.
I teach many of the athletes that I shoot and they love looking at the photos. I've had to tell some of them that if I catch them looking at photos while they are supposed to be doing their classwork that I will not take photos of them at the next game. That usually works, especially with the cheerleaders.
09-13-2018, 01:21 AM - 5 Likes   #438
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M85/2

09-13-2018, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #439

"I'd love to play along but most major sports leagues here in the US are cracking down on fan photogs. Nearly every sport has prohibited lenses over 6" long and heaven forbid you try to bring into the stadium anything bigger than a Ziploc sandwich bag, so that makes camera bags contraband akin to a kilo of coke. It's an asinine rule under the guise of "protecting the fan experience". "

I managed to gain admittance to a local Pro ballgame - with a camera bag containing a K-3 and a 70-300mm lens. Just lucky I guess! :-D

Pentax K-3 with Sigma 70-300mm lens (f/9, 1/400s, ISO 1600)

09-13-2018, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
iheiramo, I like the composition of your wind-surfing shot. The colour of the sail amidst the otherwise drab colours makes your subject stand out.

And the extra-low angle works well here.

BTW, I tried a portrait-orientation crop of this shot. Full height, with the sail a bit in from LH edge and the spray almost to the RH edge of the crop. I think that works well too.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-17-2018 at 02:15 PM.
09-14-2018, 06:07 PM - 3 Likes   #441
Pentaxian

Due to Hurricane Florence our Friday games were moved to Thursday and the start times moved back to 6:30 instead of 7:30. That meant I could shoot with the Bigma. In this first shot the defense got to the QB in the endzone for a safety.

In the second quarter I switched to the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Here a receiver pulled in a pass and eluded several tackles to score and then celebrate.

Another receiver went up over the defenders to score this TD with 8 seconds left in the first half and we led 37-7.

09-14-2018, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #442
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The above image is a jpeg of an unprocessed DNG RAW file captured with the K-1 and the HD D-FA 150-450. It was captured down on the Gold Coast during a period of big surf generated by a cyclone that was doing a fly-by off shore.

The image looks a bit soft but this is mainly due to about a kilometre of salt spray between me and the surfer.

This image is posted as a shameless plug for the forum's Post-Processing challenge where you can have a go at making a successful image out of this if you are up to the challenge. The details can be found here if the challenge interests you: PP Challenge #270 - PentaxForums.com

Tas

09-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #443
Veteran Member

Really interesting image Tas. Cool that the board still seems to be going by itself and his body position doesn't look like he got thrown off!
09-16-2018, 10:22 AM - 5 Likes   #444
Pentaxian

From yesterday at a benefit show, An Evening with Champions

(k3ii, 55-300plm)
09-17-2018, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #445
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Friday Night Lights

Chance of rain for this week's game was 80%, but we avoided it except for a few small sprinkles.

K-1 & DFA 15-30, K-1ii & DA*200

09-17-2018, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
From yesterday at a benefit show, An Evening with Champions

(k3ii, 55-300plm)
That's a spectacular shot. Love the clarity.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Chance of rain for this week's game was 80%, but we avoided it except for a few small sprinkles.

K-1 & DFA 15-30, K-1ii & DA*200
Nice variety of shots! I had a bad week this week. I hope to post some tonight.
09-17-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #447
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
"I'd love to play along but most major sports leagues here in the US are cracking down on fan photogs. Nearly every sport has prohibited lenses over 6" long and heaven forbid you try to bring into the stadium anything bigger than a Ziploc sandwich bag, so that makes camera bags contraband akin to a kilo of coke. It's an asinine rule under the guise of "protecting the fan experience". "

I managed to gain admittance to a local Pro ballgame - with a camera bag containing a K-3 and a 70-300mm lens. Just lucky I guess! :-D

Pentax K-3 with Sigma 70-300mm lens (f/9, 1/400s, ISO 1600)

That is and awesome photograph on many levels. Great shot. It shows that tight in shots are not always the best ones. The photographer making the catch of a catch with his secondary camera. A real Henri Bresson "critical moment" shot there.
09-17-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
That is and awesome photograph on many levels. Great shot. It shows that tight in shots are not always the best ones. The photographer making the catch of a catch with his secondary camera. A real Henri Bresson "critical moment" shot there.
I was thinking the same thing! I brought my second camera to a football game, thinking I would be able to do the same thing. Found out quickly that it would take a lot of practice to be able to do that!
09-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #449
Forum Member

Practice makes Perfect

As a follow-up to the recent posts about how to learn to shoot football, I thought I'd share these photos.

In addition to shooting as many games as you can, shooting practice sessions or pre-game warmup drills can also give you valuable experience. For the photo on the left, I went out to the field a couple of hours before kickoff where a few players were running some passing drills just to limber up. In a situation like this, it's rather easy to get a good action shot, as you only have one player to follow.

I was practicing my timing, trying to take each photo just as the ball reached the receiver's hands. For a beginner, however, getting a shot like this can be a big confidence builder that you can potentially do the same thing in a game situation.

About four hours later, I got almost the same exact shot as the team made a pass into the end zone try to win the game. This was a much more difficult shot, made in a game situation in low light and with a manual-focus lens. There's nothing magical about consistently getting shots like this, nor do you need exotic uber-expensive equipment... you just need to practice, practice, practice!

left image:
Pentax K-70
SMC Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5
ISO 800 | 1/500 sec, f/8

right image:
Pentax K-70
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
ISO 6400 | 1/250 sec, f/4
Attached Images

09-17-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #450
Pentaxian