Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tonight I shot our boys' basketball game at our gym. We're ranked 7th and were hosting the team ranked 2nd in the state. It was a great game and ended up going to overtime. There were nine lead changes in OT and we hit a shot at the buzzer to take an 89-88 win. During a time out in OT I made sure to switch to my 28-75 lens in case it came down to a final shot. Here was the shot that won the game. You can see the score and the time in the background.

Last edited by GvilleRick; 12-15-2019 at 02:32 PM.
12-17-2019, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #527
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1ii & M85/2:

K1ii & M150/3.5:

01-20-2020, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Backcountry skiing today

01-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #529
Pentaxian

I got my K1 back from the shop and took some basketball photos last night. Here are a couple of two shot sequences.

And here was a dunk near the end of the game that pretty much sealed the win.

01-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I got my K1 back from the shop and took some basketball photos last night. Here are a couple of two shot sequences.

And here was a dunk near the end of the game that pretty much sealed the win.

nice shots! Devil Dogs vs Greenville? Camp Lejeune vs Gville NC?
01-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
nice shots! Devil Dogs vs Greenville? Camp Lejeune vs Gville NC?
Travelers Rest HS vs Greenville (SC) HS.
02-27-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Preseason scrimmages with the K-3ii and 55-300 PLM.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-27-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Preseason scrimmages with the K-3ii and 55-300 PLM.
ThorSanchez, I'd like to offer constructive comments on your 2 preseason shots. For 7 years, I shot stills of junior soccer and some futsal, then switching to 3 yrs of videoing. So I've got some experience in this area.

Shot 1. I can see what you trying for here, but as a general rule, I cull shots that don't include the ball in-frame in soccer or futsal shots. The presence of the ball, to me, seems vital in anchoring the dramatic situation. Perhaps because the players' distance from the ball in this chase situation directly affects the urgency of their chase.

Shot. 2. I believe the essence of sports shooting is to convey the drama of the interactions. So, while 1 player performing a beautiful kick on a ball is interesting, a shot with an intercepting player in close conflict with this player, and the look on their two faces usually makes a much better shot. This is stuff that the bystanders either don't notice or remember. There's so much going on in a game that bystanders can't concentrate on detail and it would otherwise flow past them unnoticed. But you, as the photographer, either anticipate that a dramatic interaction is likely to occur, or you've been lucky to capture it anyway.

I believe you need to crop to the players of interest. In your 2nd shot, the player "97" appears not to be directly involved in this interaction, and the large areas before and to the right of the two interacting players doesn't really convey much. So I'd crop much closer. There's not much I can do with the resized JPG compared to a full-sized raw file. So what I did was just mask the two players, including the ball, and selectively apply 1px radius Focus Magic deconvolution sharpening to them, not the grass.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-27-2020 at 07:00 PM.
02-27-2020, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #534
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA645 35/3.5 on the 645Z. Not a typical setup for the crags, but I liked the result.

02-28-2020, 05:36 AM   #535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
ThorSanchez, I'd like to offer constructive comments on your 2 preseason shots. For 7 years, I shot stills of junior soccer and some futsal, then switching to 3 yrs of videoing. So I've got some experience in this area.

Shot 1. I can see what you trying for here, but as a general rule, I cull shots that don't include the ball in-frame in soccer or futsal shots. The presence of the ball, to me, seems vital in anchoring the dramatic situation. Perhaps because the players' distance from the ball in this chase situation directly affects the urgency of their chase.

Shot. 2. I believe the essence of sports shooting is to convey the drama of the interactions. So, while 1 player performing a beautiful kick on a ball is interesting, a shot with an intercepting player in close conflict with this player, and the look on their two faces usually makes a much better shot. This is stuff that the bystanders either don't notice or remember. There's so much going on in a game that bystanders can't concentrate on detail and it would otherwise flow past them unnoticed. But you, as the photographer, either anticipate that a dramatic interaction is likely to occur, or you've been lucky to capture it anyway.

I believe you need to crop to the players of interest. In your 2nd shot, the player "97" appears not to be directly involved in this interaction, and the large areas before and to the right of the two interacting players doesn't really convey much. So I'd crop much closer. There's not much I can do with the resized JPG compared to a full-sized raw file. So what I did was just mask the two players, including the ball, and selectively apply 1px radius Focus Magic deconvolution sharpening to them, not the grass.

Dan.
I appreciate the feedback, and I'll offer a little bit of explanation. I took several hundred shots that day, and had any number with the ball in the frame. Over several years I've taken thousands with the ball in the frame and after a while the same soccer action shots start to blur together in my mind. I picked that particular one to post because of the facial expressions of the two players in the foreground, and the 3D pop the photo has. And it was kind of interesting to have the graveyard in the background.

On shot two, that was already a pretty substantial crop of the full 24Mp shot. I considered cropping just the two players of interest, but I might have ended up with less than a 6Mp equivalent photo. That may have been fine, especially at forum sizes. But that was my thinking, just saving as many pixels as possible while capturing the facial expressions and action.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 02-28-2020 at 05:43 AM.
03-01-2020, 07:30 AM - 3 Likes   #536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Three shots of Alex Albon in the Red Bull from the penultimate day of F1 testing in Barcelona. All with the K3 and DA*300 except the last shot which was the DA*16-50.

03-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #537
Veteran Member

Season was scheduled to start tomorrow. One from last year
03-21-2020, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is probably x-posted but I still like it
K3 and DA* 4/60-250mm

03-21-2020, 11:47 PM - 2 Likes   #539
Pentaxian

Redone 2011 shot

I've stopped shooting junior sports. Recently, an old shot from Aug 2011 came to mind. I like it because all 4 feet in the shot are off the ground and I think it's definitely a dynamic pose.

When I looked at it again, I realised it was under-processed, so I've made another attempt to process it. It was shot on a rainy, gloomy day with a K20D, in AF-C mode, and DA* 60-250/F4. The shot was soft because focus was slightly off and it was at least 1EV under-exposed. 1/800s, f/6.3, ISO320, 200mm FL. With the EV boost and some dodging, this would be equiv. to shooting at ISO800, the effective ISO limit for the K20D. First off, the version I put in my PF gallery in 2011:

Here's my 2020 version:

If you want to have a go at PP it, here's the PEF: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/dfwd27czth7y2em/imgp2907.pef

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-21-2020 at 11:52 PM.
03-22-2020, 03:06 AM   #540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, probably not many new sports opportunities coming online for the next couple of months...

(On the bright side, time to catch up on editing photos from the past that might not have been processed as well as we'd like).