Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HDR & Tone mapping on portraits

As the title says, HDR and Tone Mapping for portraits.

I did a photo shoot the other day, and took a lot of HDR images (-1 -0 +1 EV).

What is everyone's opinion on HDR & Tone mapping on portraits?

10-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

Can you post a few photos, shot a few sunrise and sunset with E/B. So down the road I can try some HDR, have not seen any portraits processed that way.
10-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are just a few examples.

All photos are taken with a Ricoh Rikenon P50mm f/2 at f/2, iso 80
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I like trying different things and I think this would be one. It would not be for everyone, and every client. Great pics, thanks for posting.

10-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I like trying different things and I think this would be one. It would not be for everyone, and every client. Great pics, thanks for posting.
Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how they would turn out, but I actually did quite a few like that, and since I took them all as different images, I still have the normal image at -0 EV in case it doesn't work out. Haha
10-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like how HDR brings out the background and muscle tone in people but it also emphasizes imperfections in the skin. If you use HDR for portraits be prepared to spend time with the healing brush to clean these up. I think that it is worth the extra pp time.
10-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have never thought of doing this on a portrait but what about applying it then brushing it away from the actual subject or their face as a technique?

10-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen it mostly used with athletes to bring out definition in their muscles, sweat, etc. Probably not so useful for glamor shots.
10-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the #1 pic is very nice ^^
10-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adwb, that isn't a bad idea, apply it as a layer mask or something.. I might eventually try that. I have however noticed it really does bring out a lot of imperfections in the skin, as mentioned above, due to bringing in the lighting from the shadows, midtones, and highlights. Now, thankfully for me, she has relatively good skin, which means a little less time in PP

I didn't really do much to these photos to be honest, all I did was apply the HDR effect (By merging the images in Nik HDR Efex Pro 2) then apply a brightness/contrast filter, and dropped the brightness, and brought up the contrast a bit.
10-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
What is everyone's opinion on HDR & Tone mapping on portraits?
Well, it's like the use of HDR in general: what are your objectives for the shot that require the use of HDR? If you are using it just to use it, then it's a solution lookin' for a problem, or even worse, an affectation that draws one's attention away from other merits of a shot. In this shot, I'd be more concerned with the blue-cast rendering of skin.
Most women I know, especially those under 40, prefer to not have a highly detailed rendering of their facial features, including skin. The amount of retouching effort necessary to offset HDR artifacts may not make it worthwhile.

M
10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to adjust the WB a little more to get rid of the bluish cast. The lighting that day was a little odd.

I don't know if I am going to keep all of them. I will show them, see what they think, if they don't like it I can give them the original -0 EV image. I don't know if I like the ones I took -1 -0 +1 EV as much as the ones that were simply -0 EV with a tone map on them.

The objective of using HDR was to capture more vivid colours, and make everything stand out a little more, because the lighting on the background was much brighter than the subject (taken in late evening, around 6pm CST) that was why I had to do the HDR on some of them, as I do not typically shoot with a flash. Haha
10-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That lens does not have very good bokeh with complex structure. I'd look for another environmental portrait lens.
10-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
The objective of using HDR was to capture more vivid colours, and make everything stand out a little more,
You run the risk of making your subject second banana. To me, the subject of a portrait is the star of the frame. The simple solution is to learn to use artificial lighting tactfully.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That lens does not have very good bokeh with complex structure. I'd look for another environmental portrait lens.
Excellent point, I got a bit dizzy on the second shot.

M
10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You run the risk of making your subject second banana. To me, the subject of a portrait is the star of the frame. The simple solution is to learn to use artificial lighting tactfully.

Excellent point, I got a bit dizzy on the second shot.

M
Any suggestions, MF preferred.