Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Pentax needs to sell more cameras

"That's such a small and silly looking lens!" (ref. Limited series)

"Wow, look at how big that lens is! He must be a professional!"

Ever wonder why Canon and Nikon make FAT lenses? It has to do with the human psyche.

Although you and I all agree that compact lenses are easier to carry around and manoeuvre, it's the unnecessarily huge lenses that impress the ignorant potential customers, and ultimately attract attention.

So, Pentax, if you're reading this, beef up your lenses. They won't perform any better, but they'll look professional!

Canon and Nikon are trying to compensate for something...

05-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

Ever wonder why Canon and Nikon make FAT lenses? It has to do with the human psyche.

Although you and I all agree that compact lenses are easier to carry around and manoeuvre, it's the unnecessarily huge lenses that impress the ignorant potential customers, and ultimately attract attention.

So, Pentax, if you're reading this, beef up your lenses. They won't perform any better, but they'll look professional!

Canon and Nikon are trying to compensate for something...
So sad yet soooo True.

Ben
05-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't forget to paint the lenses white as well!

Might not mean much to the average joe, but you'll have all the other photographer's dripping with white-lens envy
05-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually dislike Canon's white lenses. I don't see the point. They remind me of medical equipment.

05-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always suspected that these long white lenses are sort of compensation for something else...wonder what Freud would have thought about that!

I actually dislike Canon's white lenses. I don't see the point. They remind me of medical equipment.
Always made me think about those white guys in the star wars films...ehh...stormtroopers or something like that...and we all know which side they are on! Besides they turned out to be cloned "humans" in the last trilogy, even worse!
05-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oddly enough that is why I never went after the old FA* lenses. I hated the color of them.
05-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

True

"

So, Pentax, if you're reading this, beef up your lenses. They won't perform any better, but they'll look [I]professional!
This is such a commong saying among the general population. However, there were numerous occasions where some "freelance photographers"keep staring at the Fa 43ltd, Da 40, Fa 77 ltd with envy as well. It is because they know the impractility of these big zooms being so heavy.

I used to own 4 L zooms which were all sold for exactly the same reasons. I brought 28-300mm L zoom to Italy and my neck was so sore after 2 days. I was only 24 yr old back then and the zoom was killing me.

But I pray pentax does not make the rest of the lenses too big and heavy as there seems to be a trend for the forthcoming new lenses... Let's just be unique and different.

James

05-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I HATE white lenses. They are really STUPID when you think about it. Here's the brilliant thought process translated into reality: "What can we do to make lots of extra, unnecessary REFLECTIONS to create additional possibilities for image ruining FLARE?? I've got it! Let's make our top-line lenses gleaming WHITE!" Lenses, and cameras, should be BLACK. Matte, please. Keep the white, silver or other attention drawing colors for fancy cars - they don't belong on photographic equipment. Points for style that in reality reflect (no pun intended) only stupidity shall not be awarded.
05-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I HATE white lenses. They are really STUPID when you think about it. Here's the brilliant thought process translated into reality: "What can we do to make lots of extra, unnecessary REFLECTIONS to create additional possibilities for image ruining FLARE?? I've got it! Let's make our top-line lenses gleaming WHITE!" Lenses, and cameras, should be BLACK. Matte, please. Keep the white, silver or other attention drawing colors for fancy cars - they don't belong on photographic equipment. Points for style that in reality reflect (no pun intended) only stupidity shall not be awarded.
Emotionally and from the point of avoiding flare I would agree, but it might be an advantage to reflect light from the point of view of keeping a constant temperature. I don't know if that effect would be large enough for you to see a visible difference though? Anyone who knows?
05-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know Canon users who refuse to buy certain Canon lenses SPECIFICALLY because they're white.
05-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had people ask if I was a pro or from a newspaper just by being around with my K100D Super.

Once I was shooting small rapids with my tripod, and the other was at an awareness event. They didn't specifically notice the lens, just that the camera was noticeably bigger than P&S.
05-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Are you aware that they are only white on the outside? The color of the outside of the barrel isn't going to effect the light going into the front of the lens.
05-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i have to a gree the less any one nodes me shooting the better. i do not need to be drowing attion to my self when i am shooting a story.

as to one reson i use my 500 mirror lens. i give up some things with it BUT less people wach me shoot with it then my 100-500
05-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
Banned

as ive said before canon states that the white paint is to help reflect heat, that black would otherwise absorb thus creating a higher temperature inside the lens barrel. I don't like or dislike the white but it seems to have its purpose. as for the beefy lenses I completely agree. big lens=pro photographer to most people. well, really most people consider anyone carrying around something bigger than a P&S to be pro but I know those lenses go along way to help cement that. no doubt that if you really look at a canon L lens it does look 'professional' and I wouldn't bet against its build quality and optical ability either.

I was at the 2008 St. patricks day parade, well I was in line to get on the shuttle to downtown and their was this older couple in front of me and the guy had a canon DSLR (what model I don't know) and it had a big white L lens attached (again what model I don't know) but it got so heavy waiting in line that he had to give it to his wife to hold. I just smiled to myself and thought what is the point of carrying a lens that you cant even hold onto for even a small amount of time? he didn't give my pentax's any notice. and I had my 70~210 attached to my superA and thats no small lens!
05-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you are out is the hot sun all day with a long tele, they can get pretty hot which will effect the optics. You see it mostly on the long glass. Black sucks up heat like a spunge. Thats why the space shuttle is white on top too.

Dave