Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

film = always (mostly 35mm when traveling/mostly 6x7 when at home)
digital = never

Phil.

11-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot film when I want to slow down and relax and take pics of things strictly for fun. Using one of my film cameras is a much slower thoughtful process sometimes for me. I actually like to use digital the same way but I don't always have the luxury of just walking around photographing anything that captures my fancy, taking my time in setting it all up, waiting till I get the exact perfect shot. I actually prefer digital when I am dealing with fast moving objects, animal shots. I like using film when I am taking a more zen approach to things, when I know the objects I am photographing are unlikely to move on me. I like shooting in black and white sometimes too and while I can do that with film or digital sometimes it's nice just to pop in a roll of B&W and shoot it the old fashioned way.

Shooting with a film camera is almost a meditative thing for me. To use Buddhist terms it's a "mindful" act. I tend to think it through all the way, through each step, and I'm always present in the moment, making the shot I am making. With digital sometimes it's like that, at least I try to pull myself back and make it so, but more often it's reflex and it's quicker. It's like the difference between say traditional Hatha yoga and Bikram or Ashtanga yoga. Traditional Hatha is nice and restorative, all about being there in the moment, getting your stretch on and relaxing into positions. The Bikram/Ashtanga, it's like yoga for aerobics freaks. You're in a hot box of a studio, sweating copiously, working your buns off. You come out of there feeling good but also a little exhausted and muscle weak because you've pushed your body about as far as it can go. I actually prefer Hatha to more active forms of yoga for that reason, but I do realize that each has it's place and it's usefulness.

Ditto film and digital.
11-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

Shooting with a film camera is almost a meditative thing for me. To use Buddhist terms it's a "mindful" act. I tend to think it through all the way, through each step, and I'm always present in the moment, making the shot I am making. With digital sometimes it's like that, at least I try to pull myself back and make it so, but more often it's reflex and it's quicker. It's like the difference between say traditional Hatha yoga and Bikram or Ashtanga yoga. Traditional Hatha is nice and restorative, all about being there in the moment, getting your stretch on and relaxing into positions. The Bikram/Ashtanga, it's like yoga for aerobics freaks. You're in a hot box of a studio, sweating copiously, working your buns off. You come out of there feeling good but also a little exhausted and muscle weak because you've pushed your body about as far as it can go. I actually prefer Hatha to more active forms of yoga for that reason, but I do realize that each has it's place and it's usefulness.

Ditto film and digital.
Great analogy. Thanks.