Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The Reason We survived

Subject: Those Born 1920-1979

THOSE Born 1920-1979
READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE --- VERY WELL STATED!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers! No
Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives ' for our own good '.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornadoes, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us...pass this ON!

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 05-18-2008 at 08:36 AM.
05-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Reading this is quite annoying, because of the huge amount of NOTHING between the lines.
05-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

too funny that the people who were raised in those times are now the ones pushing kids to what they are now.. hmm.
05-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Reading this is quite annoying, because of the huge amount of NOTHING between the lines.
Try it again I just tightened it up

05-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #5

Uhh... To one of the people that was not born in those ages... 1986 actually... This just really sounds like "those kids nowadays" ?
05-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Noting between the lines

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Try it again I just tightened it up
I think he was criticizing the substance, not the form.
05-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #7

Wrong Thread

What does any of this have to do with Pentax? There is another thread for off topic discussion; that is where this belongs, not here

05-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Uhh... To one of the people that was not born in those ages... 1986 actually... This just really sounds like "those kids nowadays" ?
That is not how I read it at all... I read it as an accurate attack on the polititicians who have spent years micro managing the minute details of our lives with regulation after regulation... all the while ignoring the bigger issues that have created a society where we are afraid to let our children be children... afraid to let them out of our sight... and afraid of everyone we dont know!
Sat by while they let millions and millions of cheap guns and expensive drugs pour into this country while the jobs flowed out...
And in the end, an attact on us, the parents from those generations who sat by and watched, and allowed it to happen...

The part about kids outside playing all day and home by dark was real... We would spend all day on the creek, fishing swimming and home by dark... If we wanted to get a baseball or football game, we knocked on doors until we got enough to give it a go...

It is a shame we feel safer letting our kids play Madden football or nintendo instead of outside actually playing games.
I feel sad for the kids of today, they live in a much different world. And it is as much my fault as anybody else's
05-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
That is not how I read it at all... I read it as an accurate attack on the polititicians who have spent years micro managing the minute details of our lives with regulation after regulation... all the while ignoring the bigger issues that have created a society where we are afraid to let our children be children... afraid to let them out of our sight... and afraid of everyone we dont know!
Sat by while they let millions and millions of cheap guns and expensive drugs pour into this country while the jobs flowed out...
And in the end, an attact on us, the parents from those generations who sat by and watched, and allowed it to happen...

The part about kids outside playing all day and home by dark was real... We would spend all day on the creek, fishing swimming and home by dark... If we wanted to get a baseball or football game, we knocked on doors until we got enough to give it a go...

It is a shame we feel safer letting our kids play Madden football or nintendo instead of outside actually playing games.
I feel sad for the kids of today, they live in a much different world. And it is as much my fault as anybody else's
but your kids will just turn things around. it's cyclic, if you really look at it. every other or 3rd generation resets the status quo, and it just keeps repeating. i know my son will play outside instead of being inside on the computer like me, because i hate my sedentary life, and will not let him follow the same path
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nonnstop Quote
What does any of this have to do with Pentax? There is another thread for off topic discussion; that is where this belongs, not here
Your right I should have posted this in general talk. I'm sorry for upsetting you, and if the Mods would move the thread I would be greatly happy.

As for the rest here that don't seem to mind, It is a very true and accurate notation of the way we were growing up. I know not all our children grew up playing indoors and watching the tube and playing computer games but the general consensus of the parents in my generation (borne in 1950s) as we grew and saw the hazards and the ways that came about to protect our children, we accepted the changes in safety that the Government was ask by special interest groups to shove down our throats. We were to busy with our lives, and making a living to improve our children's lives to see that growing up had pitfalls, and for the most part the way we were and the way we grew gave us the know how and drive to succeed. All the improvements and marvels of today came from those who lived in this era and were able to survive our childhood.
To all of Us Congrats on making it this far.
05-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Subject: Those Born 1920-1979

THOSE Born 1920-1979
READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE --- VERY WELL STATED!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers! No
Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives ' for our own good '.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornadoes, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us...pass this ON!
wow a lot of cynical feedback.

i was born in 1980...far removed from any city life. i fit right in there.

thanks for the read.
05-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ain't that the truth? If you wanted to play when I was a kid, you HAD to go outside ( I'm 48 ) And no one locked their doors, you could leave your bike in the front yard, it was all good !!
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

It's hard to dispute the 'facts' in this little ditty - but that doesn't make them right!

How 'bout... 'Ma used to knock me up side the head and I'd ask thru the tears; "What's that for?" and she'd say "For nuthin! - Just wait 'till ya do sumptin!" ' Now that's worth rememberin', ain't it?

Ah yes - the good ole days. My Granny used to say; "The only thing good about the good old days is that they're gone!" And she lived through that whole time period; she otta know, huh?

If you're wishing for all that hogwash, like it's a rerun of "Happy days' or 'Leave it to Beaver' you're living in the past and that takes you absolutely no where in the present!

Thanks for sharing, eh!
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until the steetlights came on . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Ain't that the truth? If you wanted to play when I was a kid, you HAD to go outside ( I'm 48 ) And no one locked their doors, you could leave your bike in the front yard, it was all good !!
Played make-up games at the park at the end of the corner, or street hockey with orange pucks filled with popcorn while the Blues were young, or run-down, or 2 on 2 soccer (yes, soccer in the 60's) - until the streetlights came on.

Did your family have some kind of bell? We had a chuck wagon triangle, and every family had its own bell - whenever mother wanted us home pronto she'd ring the bell. Wherever we were, that mother would come and say, "Your mother's ringing," and we hustled home.

The world has moved beyond those times, though, and we do the best we can with what we have.
05-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
The cycle of life.

When each generation reaches a certain age it experiences an irresistable urge to say things like that to the following generations. Your turn is coming.