Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I tried to say something similar yesterday, but I don't have all these knowledge like you. Thank you.
That's what I did. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the cap then punched a hole with a needle in a piece of aluminum cut from an aluminum beverage can and glued it to the inside of the cap, over the larger hole. I measured the needle at .032" but I'm thinking it should be more like ,025 - .028. I'll give it another try when I get a little time.

I was way off. I went back to the calculator and found that the hole should be .29mm, or .011in. That explains the extreme out of focus image.

Last edited by dakight; 11-16-2014 at 11:55 AM.
11-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Here's the latest effort with a .02 hole made with the smallest needle I have. I measured a straight pin and found it to be the same diameter. The image is better but still pretty clearly out of focus.

It looks like a need a #80 wire gauge drill; I'll try to find one and see what happens.
11-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #33
Brooke Meyer

Couple of room sized versions around here:

Camera Obscura

Cloud Chamber @ North Carolina Museum of Art NCMA | New Raleigh
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for those links, Brooke, will have to check those out!

A photographer who has made intriguing use of this technique is Aberlardo Morell. I had the good fortune to see an exhibit of his works at the Getty Center about a year ago.

11-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #35
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Thanks for those links, Brooke, will have to check those out!

A photographer who has made intriguing use of this technique is Aberlardo Morell. I had the good fortune to see an exhibit of his works at the Getty Center about a year ago.
Thanks!. Discovery, finding work like this is probably the best part of this forum.
11-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
For those, who fancy this kind of photo, you want to check this DIY out. I know, that technique there is displayed on Canon gear, but according to my sources,it should work for Pentax as well Build A Mega 50MP+ Wide Angle Digital Pinhole Lens - DIY Photography
11-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once thought of making a pinhole for my camera.. but then decided to just buy an Industar 50-2 instead
Camera obscura is the precursor for photography, though. Interesting stuff, lots of artists still experiment with it. I recently met an art student who made mobile camera obscura, which was essentially a big box with a curtain.

11-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've done some more experimenting; the results can be seen here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/279814-landscape-pinhole-pinhead.html