Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Interesting... I always supposed that it's better to have slightly underexposed rather than overexposed shot (as it's easier to "repair" such shot by post-processing). But if I understand the ETTR advice correctly, it's prompting us to overexpose instead?
No, ETTR up to the edge but not overexposed. Blocked highlights have no data (detail) and can't be recovered. The main reason for ETTR is provide as much data in the shadows as possible. Just my $0.02.

11-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
No, ETTR up to the edge but not overexposed. Blocked highlights have no data (detail) and can't be recovered. The main reason for ETTR is provide as much data in the shadows as possible. Just my $0.02.
With the caveat that if your histogram indicates that you have more dynamic range than you need, you expose to the left, to increase contrast. But not all the way to the left, the histogram isn't always 100% accurate so give yourself a little bit of room to play with.
11-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have my color space set to Adobe RGB as I read somewhere it gives a more accuate/reliable camera histogram......can't remember where I read this....but it seemed to make sense at the time.
11-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
It really depends on
1. how much the histogram is accurate (sometimes you have blinkies in the playback windo because it's based on a jpeg rendering, while you've still got some margin in the RAW) and
2. the distribution of the values per channel. Sometimes you're fine in two channels, luminance histogram looks good but you're clipping the third channel (that is often the red one) badly...

11-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments so I have been using Av mode well trying to get used to it.

I take a lot of photos within my local church that is when I get problems with the Light conditions as its quiet dark That's when I was using Tav mode, so this week I will try other modes,
I can sort them in Lightroom I know that, as they are all raw files
the answers have certainly gave me a lot to think about, just have to practise practise.

I would like to get into using the Manuel mode

Tom G