Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Spot metering

Can somebody teach me how to use the built-in spot meter of the K100Ds? Thanks!

05-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you just need to know how to set the camera to spot metering? or what spot metering does and what it is used for?
05-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
Can somebody teach me how to use the built-in spot meter of the K100Ds? Thanks!
when in M mode press the EL button, the one thats above the turn dial.

it will step-down to your selected aperture and meter the scene,
05-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
jdg
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would like to know how to use it in practice? Do i just point it to a bright area of the scene and press the shutter button halfway and then recompose?

05-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No, point it to something that is (ideally) 18% gray, and do as Gooshin says. M mode, and press the AE-L-button.

)Metering off grass and skin works good too, luckily. )
05-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To my understanding, the Auto Exposure Lock button (AE-L) merely locks the exposure or in Manual mode, adjusts the appropriate exposure determined by the camera based on whether the user has preset in the Custom menu for either the aperture or shutter speed to vary, or for both aperture and shutter speed to change (Program Line). The camera default is Program Line.

This has nothing to do with spot metering per se as one could use AE-L with any of the 3 metering methods - matrix, center weighted or spot.

The 3 metering methods provided allow the user to meter according to the subject. Center weighted for example puts emphasis on the center portion of the frame and works well for portraits.

In the case of spot metering, as it allows measurement of a small portions of brightness in a scene. Great for measuring high contrast situations and very accurate but the caveat here is the user has to determine which is the important point to measure the exposure in the viewfinder. AE-L serves the purpose to lock exposure to a defined point in a scene while the user re-composes.
05-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
jdg
Forum Member

Original Poster
From what i read in the k100ds users manual the AE-L button doesn't lock the exposure in M mode but instead automatically selects an appropriate exposure.

05-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Try this (my older post):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24542-post13.html
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

And also:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54149-post8.html

(Try my black & white t-shirt experiment, picture is worth 1000 words!)
05-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

JDG, if you've never seen an 18% gray card, get thee to a photo store and take a look at (or better yet, buy) one. That is a middle tone between pure white and pure black, and it is the tone (brightness) to which your camera meter is calibrated for a "proper exposure," regardless of metering mode.

Learn to see real-world brightness that corresponds to that middle tone (green grass in sunlight is close; a clear blue mid-day sky to the north is real close; the right medium-gray rocks will be close), and learn which other real-world tones are a stop or two brighter or darker. Then, when you use your spot meter (practice in Manual mode until you get good), try to find a tone that you know in your scene, or put your gray card into the light in your scene, and meter on that. Adjust your exposure if you need to compensate for metering on a brighter or darker toned subject. Try a shot, and check your histogram, then increase or decrease your next exposure, or try a different-toned subject to meter. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Build enough experience with this technique, and you'll develop a good eye for the range of light in your photos, for what subject(s) to meter, and for how to anticipate exposure tweaks before you even trip the shutter. After all, that's how we Pentaxians did/do it with our Spotmatics and K1000s!
05-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
jdg
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
05-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I use spot metering only on my K10D and tend to look for a lightly shaded part of the frame to collect the proper exposure from, then reframe and shoot. Works out really well for me. I have a gray card for wedding dress shots, or shots where the exposure is jumping all over the place when I'm scanning the scene I want to shoot.

As for collecting off of grass or sky...those are great suggestions that I will definitely be giving a go at.

Cheers for the suggestions!

c[_]