Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Help me get the best photos of Blue Oyster Cult!!!

One of my cousins is very good friends with the band, and they will be in Mt. Pleasant Michigan for a concert in December. Will have "seats" close to the stage, and, BACK STAGE PASSES!!!!

Am particularly interested in getting good pics of the concert itself. Suggestions on settings/techniques?

My gear is:

Pentax K-30
Pentax f/1.4 50mm
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 (gonna be too close to the stage for this lens I believe)
The standard kit lens (will probably use this back stage since the 50mm is too long, I think)

How would YOU set up the camera body, for the best pics? Thank you.

11-19-2014, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Practice! Go to a couple local high schools shows or something like community theater - perhaps ask them if you can practice during their dress rehearsals.
The 50 is probably going to be good for shots during the show. You'll want to know how the camera focuses in the light.

Use the search box for 'concert photography' there are some excellent threads in these forums. The LED lighting, in particular is problematic. I encourage you to shoot RAW and err toward underexposure. At least that's what I've read into the discussion. I'd be tempted to do RAW+ where the jpg is set for no adjustments at all, but record in B&W.

I like my Sigma 28mm f1.8 for darker work. Plus, it has a nice field of view. Cameralensrentals.com out of northern Indiana is a great rental shop, this opportunity is worth considering spending a few bucks renting.

December in Michigan - your heart will be black and your lips cold...
11-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 to searching for threads with the words "concert photography", particularly if you limit the search to titles only. Here's one that seems right up the alley:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/274733-shooting-...entax-k-x.html

RAW is likely a must - for post processing the lighting. Also the focal length choice is dictated mainly by the type of shot you want and the distance you will be from the stage. That 50mm 1.4 may be just right if you are close enough - or you may be kicking yourself for not having something longer that is semi-fast. If you are comfortable with manual focus then there are a lot of options out there.
11-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I did find earlier another member who had some nice shots of BOC.......hope mine turn out as well.

I need to also read up on how to get my focusing dialed in, as I've never been happy with this camera how it focuses......seems like I have a lot of miss focusing. I know it's my fault.

Heading to the search engine. Really excited about this concert. Thanks again.

11-19-2014, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just watch out for the laser...

11-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

The Stoned Age - BOC Laser Trip - YouTube
Live view may help there...
11-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Now I have to listen to Don't fear the reaper, jealous!
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Live view may help there...
It can fry the sensor though, but CMOS are more hardy.

11-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Now I have to listen to Don't fear the reaper, jealous!

It can fry the sensor though, but CMOS are more hardy.
I had not known that. Ouch. What is the threshold? And what's the solution?
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Don't fear the reaper.
11-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha, they were my first rock concert on their Don't Fear the Reaper tour. I saw them at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor.

For the performance photos, the 50 is probably your best bet but if you can I'd bring that 70-200 as well. You could get extra-close or maybe walk up the isle a bit for more of a level shot than you get from up close.

If your backstage passes get you back there during the show, that will be another good chance to get different angles, behind the scenes, etc kinds of shots.
The kit lens may be slow for backstage if it's not very bright. A flash might be good for backstage when they aren't playing, but make sure it's ok to use it. Don't use a flash for the performance.

I'd probably use ISO 800-3200 and keep it as low as you can while keeping shutter speeds above 1/30 or so (depending on how steady you are and how much they move).

Good luck and have fun.
Go go Godzilla! \m/
11-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My suggestions: 50mm seems fine to me if you're close to the scene; don't shoot at 1.4 unless you have to, stop it down a bit, things will be sharper and you'll hit focus more easily; shoot in manual mode M and don't be afraid to underexpose for quite a bit, K30 can handle it in PP if you shoot RAW; shoot RAW, did I mention that before ? start with ISO 800 and 1/60 and see how it goes, then boost up the iso first up to 3200 (as Matt said) and if it's still not enough, then slow down the shutter speed. But I would use 1/60 and boost ISO up before changing the shutter speed. Don't be afraid if you see the exposure meter underexposing for 1-2 stops, just eye the photo on the camera screen and see how it looks. Try to get a few test shots before the action starts. Hope that helps! and post some pictures afterwards
11-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I had not known that. Ouch. What is the threshold? And what's the solution?
I've only read about a few cases and considering the vast amount of concert photographers that never encountered it you're not likely to be a victim. But since reading about and seeing damaged sensors I've been taking it into account when shooting in conditions that might have lasers and avoid video or liveview if I'm at risk. Beware! Lasers Can Kill Your Camera’s Sensor | Photofocus
11-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Ha, they were my first rock concert on their Don't Fear the Reaper tour. I saw them at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor.
On Your Feet or On Your Knees tour, Honolulu 1979-ish.
11-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
On Your Feet or On Your Knees tour, Honolulu 1979-ish.
Wasn't that after Secret Treaties? That would be a 1974-75 tour, I think.
I didn't get to see them until 1981 but Joe Bouchard was still touring with them at that point. Al Bouchard had stopped touring, IIRC.
11-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Wasn't that after Secret Treaties? That would be a 1974-75 tour, I think.
I didn't get to see them until 1981 but Joe Bouchard was still touring with them at that point. Al Bouchard had stopped touring, IIRC.
It may have been as early as 1977, no later than 79 as that was when I was in Hawaii. I specifically remember Hot Rails to Hell. It all sounded just like like the album (that is, vinyl :-)