Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Day 14 no K10 :(

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/27354-precision-camera-en...rs-update.html

Since I have no blog (yet) this is the next best thing. Day 14 with no K10 and counting I am really happy the *istds is working well and allowing me to shoot something. Disaster almost struck the DS this weekend. I place the bag on the kitchen table after coming home form shooting with friends. Did I mention we have one of those tall tables? You know where this is going I grab the bag by the strap and lift off the edge, the bag was not closed, it opened and out came the *ist ds with 16-45 attached for what seemed like a slow motion crash to the floor. I quickly snatch it up thinking the longer it is on the floor the more damage low and behold, not one scratch, ding or dent can be found. I turn it on and everything works PHHEWWWW. Not sure what I would have done had it been not working. I have a shoot for the local paper's web division this week and this would have caused me to run out and get another K10 or tell them I could not do the shoot

Still no word from Precision as to the status of the repairs. I will be patient and send an email out on Thursday requesting an update.

Thanks for listening to me sulk.

05-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Woa, close call! I dread that scene and have nightmares about it. I've also done stuff like changed lenses so that the body is in my right hand and both lenses are in my left as I swap. I'd had to see one go tumbling to the ground!
Good luck on your shoot this weekend.
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you get the K10D back soon. Mine went in and it came back taking sharper pics than it ever did brand new. Didn't even know that was a problem. Wasn't why I sent it in.
My then new DS didn't get attached to the tripod with QR well and the whole thing fell about 2 ft to the hard granite below. It made a sick bouncing motion. Picked it up and it worked fine. Put a small scratch on the 16-45 hood. Thats it. Good thing because I didn't have back up bodies then ( not counting Olympus E300 system). Still use the DS and 16-45 to this day. So lucky!
thanks
barondla

Enter the POINT & SHOOT CONTEST in the P&S forum. Any type of camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Sorry to hear of your troubles Pat. Let me know if it' true about absence making the heart grow fonder.
Have you thought about sending a copy of your posts to Precision Camera in an email? You never know, it might make them get of their A's .
Gary

05-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well... shoot. The DS is looking like a more reliable camera than the K10D.

You should start calling Precision on a day-to-day basis. This is taking far too long.
05-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both are pretty durable cameras. DS had fair number of builtin flash problems that disappeared with K10D intro. Don't know what was wrong with my K10D sharpness. It was more than FF/BF. Even manual focus it wasn't as sharp as another K10D. Sure is now.
My K10D took over a month (out of part). Sent it to Pentax USA. Why didn't you send camera to Pentax for repair? Always send them to the builder unless they no longer support that model.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT contest #7 at the P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ftpaddict - not a bad idea, I am sending them an email today and maybe include the link here.

Damn Brit - HMMM. I may do that as well I can say I do miss the big LCD and the SR, the front wheel when in P mode

barondla - I hope it at least comes back ready to roll. I swore I would skip the K20 this year as the K10 has been been everything I need. The other reason for skipping the K20 is I want a Bigma or Da300. I did think about sending to Pentax but thought honestly that this would be a simply fix and they are about a half an hour from my house as opposed to shipping across the country. What sucks is now it ended up going across the country anyway

dkittle - I have done that as well and recently had a friend try that with his Nikon D300 and it slipped out of his hand and crashed to the floor. Needless to say my DS survived his D300 is off to NIkon for repairs

Thank you all for feeling my pain.

05-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #8

I feel for you too mate.....but I notice you would like a Bigma.
Better hope that stays in one piece......mine went into the local agent 8 weeks ago. Last report it was now in Japan, and there was no guarantee of them even looking at it (quotation) for a further 3 weeks, and no time given if I accept the quote.
On a side note...... would love to see Sigma commit to HSM on that lens.
05-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
8 weeks!!!! WOW that sucks. what happen to it ?
05-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Understand it being only half hour from home. Hope it returns soon. At least you have the DS.
Also would like a big lens. Can't decide between the DA300 or Bigma.
Bigma is more what I need fl wise. Pentax is better lens and probably easier to get repaired. If there was a teleconverter it would help the 300 a lot for my use.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

is it time for us to have a telethon?

"these photographers only want to take pictures, but they can't. Won't you help?"

maybe a web site that takes donations

hope you get your stuff back soon!

Tim
05-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
heck if folks will send money I will send my paypal info to them now I promise donations will be used 100% towards my photo needs