Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Monopod, not working for me.

Light at this time of year in Northern Ontario is very often dim. I'm using a K-3 and 55-300 or DA*300 with TC, and ISO gets uncomfortably high. Sometimes I have to take the TC off and shoot at f4. I carried a tripod yesterday, but that is such an onerous and clunky solution, I will not be doing it for normal shoots.

Today I played a bit in the back yard with a monopod, K-3, DA*300 and HD 1.4X TC, SR on. I tried 1/90s on static subjects, and got blurry photos. It worked fine at 1/350s, but I can do that handheld. This is a good quality Manfrotto monopod, and the results match my previous experience. I can do at least as well handheld, and it's far more comfortable than a monopod.

What is your experience? Does a monopod work for you?

11-24-2014, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe take multiple shots may help lessen vibration and spread your feet into wide stance so you are like a tripod.
11-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I only use a monopod with very long lenses, including the Tamron 150-600mm f6.3. It sometimes works for me, but only when my shutter speed is over 1/500. In your situation with a TC bolted on, it's even tougher to get steady. Further complicating matters in your case is the significant pixel density of the K-3--less wiggle room literally.

Sometimes a tripod is the only solution technically, but if that's too clunky for you (and lots others I assume), then at least you know your limitations.

M
11-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you mount the DA*300 directly on the monopod? It has the collar for it, and that would provide better support than mounting the body.

I have a monopod on my Christmas wish list - I have never actually tried using one - but it will fit inside my photo hide, where a tripod is impossible. I still think it ought to make a difference compared to pure hand held: I have had decent experiences with random support from tree trunks and such when the light is insufficient.

I hope you will keep sharing your experiences here. It's good to know what to expect, just in case I find one under the tree!

11-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a monopod and have tried using it a few times, but I haven't found it to be the right compromise between handheld and tripod. Might be my poor technique but I find it rather cumbersome. And then Pentax SR is so good that for the kind of subjects where I'd consider a monopod (e.g., birds), hand held works really well, given the need to use a fairly fast shutter to capture fast-moving subjects. (This is typically with the DA*300 so it's easily hand holdable.) I've finally realized I am unlikely to buy a monster telephoto, where I might still find the monopod useful, so I'll probably sell mine.
11-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often use my giottos monopod with long focal lenses. Including the ball head it weighs only 1kg. If shutter release time is really critical I also use my cable release in combination to avoid shake while pushing the trigger. It works quite well for me and my K5.
11-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

I have a self standing monopod from Manfrotto and it's genius.
That said, I also use it without its tiny legs deployed and I usually get very decent results. On longish exposures I have it lean against my body (more like, I wrap myself around it—perhaps I was a pole dancer in another life...) and use the same technique as if I were shooting handheld, i.e. stabilise yourself, inhale, exhale and shoot at the end, with the benefit of having at least one axis of movement blocked by the monopod.
Manfrotto also has other accessories for stabilising monopods, though. I haven't tried them myself but maybe they're worth a look!

Last edited by hooverfocus; 11-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.
11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Did you mount the DA*300 directly on the monopod? It has the collar for it, and that would provide better support than mounting the body.
Yes, I used the DA*300 tripod mount. It balances almost perfectly with the K-5.
11-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I usually can find something to lean against. If not I kneel or sit on my butt. That usually makes a pretty good tripod. I just don't like carting extra stuff around.
11-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I also use my cable release in combination to avoid shake while pushing the trigger.
Monopod with cable release, now that's an interesting idea! I suppose you hold the monopod with one hand and release with the other hand? anyway, I did not think of doing this before.

I'm sometimes using my tripod as a monopod, not sure if it's a great idea though.
11-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Today I played a bit in the back yard with a monopod (...)SR on (...)
Did you try with SR off? I actually have no idea if it would help, but I wonder if the SR system might overcompensate when using a monopod. Just a thought...

I'd also like tips on monopod use with longer lenses. I'll soon be on vacation with a K-01, a DA 55-300mm and a tripod that converts to monopod (and which is in the mail, literally). With this combo, weight is not a huge issue, but steadiness is. Since the K-01 doesn't get the benefit of the steadiness that comes from using a viewfinder, I was planning to try it with the monopod. Is it worth giving that a try?
11-24-2014, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Did you try with SR off? I actually have no idea if it would help, but I wonder if the SR system might overcompensate when using a monopod. Just a thought...

I'd also like tips on monopod use with longer lenses. I'll soon be on vacation with a K-01, a DA 55-300mm and a tripod that converts to monopod (and which is in the mail, literally). With this combo, weight is not a huge issue, but steadiness is. Since the K-01 doesn't get the benefit of the steadiness that comes from using a viewfinder, I was planning to try it with the monopod. Is it worth giving that a try?
I did not try SR Off today, but I have in the past and thought SR On was beneficial.

Regarding the K-01 and a monopod, it is definitely worth a try. Some people have good success with monopods. I have not had, but I haven't given up. I will test it properly in the field, and pay special attention to keeping it steady.
11-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Try this, used it up to a 500mm mirror lens.
Don't extend it to the ground, just enough to support it on your belt. Better still if you have the proper belt "pocket". Just swivel the top a bit to level the lens.
Very stable and great for video as well, also maneuverable . Leave the SR on ,any movement will be smooth and it can handle it.
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually just trip over my monopod.
11-25-2014, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Monopod with cable release, now that's an interesting idea! I suppose you hold the monopod with one hand and release with the other hand? anyway, I did not think of doing this before.

I'm sometimes using my tripod as a monopod, not sure if it's a great idea though.
I try to describe my way in total.

Build a tripod with your body and the monopod. The fixing points:

The bottom of monopod (1st point), ball head with camera leaning towards your head, left foot (2nd point) and right foot (3rd point) in step position at shoulder’s width.
1-2-3 is your "body tripod"

My monopod has a strap at the grip as you find it at a ski pole. With my left hand I slip through the strap. Holding the grip of the tripod I slightly pull downwards so that the strap gets tension. The effect is that the camera is pressed against my forehead when I look through the viewfinder.

The right hand is free to operate the autofocus button of the camera while holding the cable release. What’s next? Supposed everything is set to take the photograph, you can move the palm of your right hand to the left side of the camera to get even more stability.The button of the cable release now waits for your right thumb to pull the trigger.

I think this sounds complicated. I took an image to show it: