Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autofocus technique for off-center subjects

I would have to say my biggest frustration with my Pentax cameras is the autofocus performance. I used to have a lot of front focus issues with my K-5 under tungsten light. That's better with my K-3, but now I found I have front/back focus issues with lenses that didn't miss focus on my K-5. This last weekend I had another issue: shallow depth of field shots for an off center target.

I was shooting my K-3 with a Pentax-F 50mm F/1.4 lens at F/2. My subject was off center with his face closest to one of the edge focus points. Not the most extreme side ones, but the one next to that. I believe these are cross type points with F/5.6 sensitivity. Now I know there are 3 center AF points that are F/2.8 sensitive. But those are so far from my subject's face that I was afraid that a focus then recompose method would give too much change in distance. So I shot at F/2 while using the cross sensor nearest the subject's face. I reviewed my focus on the camera's LCD and thought it looked a bit softer than it should be. I'm aware these large aperture lenses are softer near the edge, but I felt it was not as sharp as it could be. So I decided to try to switch to Live View and use contrast detect autofocus. I moved the focus point to directly where his face was so there was no recomposing. After later review on my computer, these shots seem softer than the previous ones.

So what's a person to do in this case? Magnified Live View and manual focus? Any other ideas?

11-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
So what's a person to do in this case? Magnified Live View and manual focus? Any other ideas?
a) Find out whether your lens has any focus issues. If yes, try and correct them with the internal focus correction. If that doesn't work, send the lens and camera in for adjustment.

b) If the AF is not faulty, you pretty much have to do with life view and manual focus.
11-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do AF points have differences in sensitivity? I didn't know that. Can someone explain or direct me towards some information? Thanks (sorry for hijacking your thread)
11-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible you move slightly when shooting, throwing off the focus when using narrow DOF? I did this a lot with my K100D & 50/1.4.

What about the in-body lens adjustments?

Don't have any other ideas, I use a K-01 and shoot dont have any AF lenses faster than F/2.4.

11-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I decided to try to switch to Live View and use contrast detect autofocus. I moved the focus point to directly where his face was so there was no recomposing. After later review on my computer, these shots seem softer than the previous ones.

It would help if all the facts were presented, like what your shutter speed and ISO were.Plus, were you using a tripod? That helps screening out motion blur as a cause of the soft images.

Why don't you attach the image?

M

Last edited by Miguel; 11-25-2014 at 11:52 AM.
11-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Instead of recomposing by moving the camera from the same point you take a big step to side. That won't change the focus distance but is hard to perform in practice.
11-25-2014, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

if you haven't calibrated your lenses, that's the first step. The K3 is very unforgiving in terms of technical quality. Especially if you are shooting at such shallow DoF, you must have calibrated lenses for THAT camera. I found that every single one of my lenses had radically different calibration points on my K3. Some that didn't require any adjustments on my K5iis were either front OR back focused on my K3. My FA28 was so out of calibration that I sold it as defective. I could not get it close enough on the chart to even tell if it was FF or BF (and that was 28mm at F2.8)

Your F50 may simply not play well with your K3. That's one of the downsides of using legacy glass and a 24MP sensor.

The K3 is a fickle camera. Like dating a supermodel, you can no longer "get away" with things that you used to neglect in the past. It requires an attention to detail on many levels.

11-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Do AF points have differences in sensitivity?
Yes, they do, but only with faster lenses. The three points vertical at center have a focus sensitivity equivalent to f/2.8* while the others are sensitive to f/5.6.

Steve

* What this means is that the AF system is able to detect out-of-focus the same at f/2.8 as at wider apertures. This has to do with the optics (prism angle) that service the focus point.

---------- Post added 11-25-14 at 12:33 PM ----------

Now I know there are 3 center AF points that are F/2.8 sensitive. But those are so far from my subject's face that I was afraid that a focus then recompose method would give too much change in distance.
I would be more concerned that your subject would move. Magnified manual focus (w/ focus peaking) in live view is your most sensitive option. More practical would be manual focus using a high-performance matte field focus screen (e.g. Canon type-S). Or you could simply focus and recompose and shoot stopped-down to f/4. After all, you do want something other than the leading edge (tip) of the subject's nose in focus, eh?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2014 at 01:33 PM.
11-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did check the focus calibration on the lens before my trip, but only for the center point. I made a point to do this because I got burned a month ago because I neglected to check the focus on my K-3 when using a 24mm F/1.8 Sigma that I'd used plenty on my K-5. So I check the lens for center point and it was spot on. I was not shooting with a tripod, so some forward/back movement might have been the culprit also. It sounds like the only more reliable way to do this would be to stop down a bit or manual focus in magnified Live View.
11-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What was your shutter speed?

M
11-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
What was your shutter speed?

M
Shutter speed was pretty fast, and shot with SR on, so I don't think it was motion blur.
11-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went back and reviewed the detailed info on the photos on the camera to see which ones were shot with what focus method. Then I looked at the corresponding photos on my 23" monitor. From least to most sharp, they are:

Center point focus with focus/recompose
Edge focus point right over subject's face (no recomposing)
Live View focused with focus point over subject's face (no recomposing)

I originally said I was disappointed with the focus. So I did some more controlled testing with PDAF vs. Contrast Detect AF vs. Live view manual focus. And I found that I really couldn't do much better with live view and manual focus than I could with the contrast detect autofocus. So I guess the image quality was lacking more in resolution and contrast than it was in focus. I guess I expected a bit too much out of the lens near the edge with an F/2 aperture.
11-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
Sorry, but I don't understand why you can't use re-compose method with a disabled (AF) shutter release button? Focus at whatever part of the object with the center cross with AF button, re-compose and then shoot.
11-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Hi,
Sorry, but I don't understand why you can't use re-compose method with a disabled (AF) shutter release button? Focus at whatever part of the object with the center cross with AF button, re-compose and then shoot.
The problem with the focus/recompose method is that recomposing the picture can change the distance between your intended focus target and the imaging sensor. This effect is amplified with close focus distances or narrow depth of field shooting. Typically if you use the center point to focus on a subjects face or eye, then you aim the camera down to compose, you will get a back-focused image.

Here is an explanation with pictures:
The Problem With The Focus-Recompose Method - Digital Photography School
12-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem with the focus/recompose method is that recomposing the picture can change the distance between your intended focus target and the imaging sensor. This effect is amplified with close focus distances or narrow depth of field shooting. Typically if you use the center point to focus on a subjects face or eye, then you aim the camera down to compose, you will get a back-focused image.

Here is an explanation with pictures:
The Problem With The Focus-Recompose Method - Digital Photography School
Devorama,
If your intended focus target is the face, not an object behind it, it won't matter if you use a side cross to focus without turning the cam or, if you use center cross to focus and then recompose to have the face and the background object inside the frame - the distance to the face will be the same. Therefore the face will be in focus and the object behind will be blurry. If, OTOH, you want both the face and the object behind to be in focus, then you need to find a "common ground": focus on something in between so both are within DOF or change the aperture.

Thanks for the article, BTW. It's funny that the author, at the end, even provided a proof that hypotenuse is larger than cathetus.