Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

The maiden voyage for the Vivitar 80-200mm lens

I bought this lens about mid-summer, but hadn't put it to the test until today. It has a 1:3.4 magnification ratio, at 80mm. I took about 70 shots with it today and after downloading them, I was amazed at the sharpness. It looks like new with no lens creep.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 03:06 AM.
11-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of those old Vivitar lenses were quite good. I picked up a 35-105 for video and was surprised also.
11-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I bought this lens about mid-summer, but hadn't put it to the test until today. It has a 1:3.4 magnification ratio, at 80mm. I took about 70 shots with it today and after downloading them, I was amazed at the sharpness. It looks like new with no lens creep.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Nice one. Compared to the bokeh on the sigma 70-300 image you just put up on the macro bokeh thread I think I prefer the smoother bokeh of the Vivitar images. Of course bokeh is so much personal taste. I have always feltthat bokeh quality was such a subjective call that it shouldn't be scored on the lens reviews.
11-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Very impressive! Series One?

Steve

11-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Vivitar for vivid! Love the colors!
11-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very impressive! Series One?

Steve

Actually, I'm not sure. It was my understanding that Series One meant that the serial #s were in the 22K - 23K range? Mine is serial # 77XXXXX. So.... maybe you can set me straight on what exactly IS a "Series One"?

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

what exactly IS a "Series One
A lens that says Series 1 on the barrel. Back in the distant past, that was Vivitar's premium line. In don't know if they made a 80-200 Series 1, but the 70-210 Series 1 lenses (there were five versions) are cult classics. Unfortunately there are more recent models (not contracted by the original Vivitar, Ponder & Best) that are not up to the historic standard.

I am still very impressed.

Steve

11-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Sure looks like a keeper to me, love your pictures. Some of those old Viv lenses are really wonderful. I understand they vary from year to year as far as who made a particular lens - Vivitar contracted with different companies and then put the Vivitar name on them. So you wouldn't necessarily get the same lens from year to year. Now people differentiate between the various manufacturers on the old ones.

I understand that Kiron's Vivitar lenses were so well received that they put some of them out under their own name (I have a Kiron 80-200 lens that has oil on the aperture blades but I've been too sentimental about it to sell it - it was originally bought and used by my father. It would cost more to have it cleaned than the lens is worth so I keep it and occasionally think about biting the bullet and getting it fixed).
11-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Sure looks like a keeper to me, love your pictures. Some of those old Viv lenses are really wonderful. I understand they vary from year to year as far as who made a particular lens - Vivitar contracted with different companies and then put the Vivitar name on them. So you wouldn't necessarily get the same lens from year to year. Now people differentiate between the various manufacturers on the old ones.

I understand that Kiron's Vivitar lenses were so well received that they put some of them out under their own name (I have a Kiron 80-200 lens that has oil on the aperture blades but I've been too sentimental about it to sell it - it was originally bought and used by my father. It would cost more to have it cleaned than the lens is worth so I keep it and occasionally think about biting the bullet and getting it fixed).

Mtngal, you might consider sending your lens to Eric Hendrickson. He's quite well-known amongst the members on the PF and he's the best lens repairman in North America! His prices are very reasonable, with a quick turnaround time, too. Those older Vivitar lenses are becoming harder and harder to find and, with yours having special sentimental value, it might be worth having it fixed. Eric recently repaired a Pentax-K 400mm lens and when I got it back, it looked like it just came from the factory! He can give you an estimate. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his address and phone number.

I also have an older Vivitar, a 75-205 with the matched coupler, both pristine. It was made by Kiron and is as capable, if not more so than the 80-200mm. I love old glass, and they often outperform many of the new lenses on the market. I'm always on the lookout for them. Right now, I'm in search of a Pentax 105mm lens. Hard to find and they want an arm and TWO legs for one that is clean.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA