Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do I take a photo like this?

I was looking to shoot something like this for a website background pic and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm a videographer so stills are not my strong point, so any help would be appreciated. I'm shooting on a Panasonic GH4 and my available lenses are a 25mm f1.4 (true 50mm), 12-35 f2.8 (25-70) and a 35-100 f2.8 (70-200).

Cheers!

Last edited by watchingskyfallatm; 11-27-2014 at 08:28 AM.
11-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Find or set up a series of small lights (Christmas lights would be good). Select a lens, most likely a prime. Focus in very near to make the lights out of focus, causing them to all be in the bokeh. This lens had a six blade aperture, and looks like they were rounded blades, but I'm still a noob myself, so don't hold me to that.

For bokeh purposes, I'd use that 25mm you have. And the number of aperture blades really doesn't matter, just controls the number of sides the polygon shapes will have.

Also forgot to mention, shoot it wide open, otherwise you'll get starbursts at tighter apertures.
11-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Find or set up a series of small lights (Christmas lights would be good). Select a lens, most likely a prime. Focus in very near to make the lights out of focus, causing them to all be in the bokeh. This lens had a six blade aperture, and looks like they were rounded blades, but I'm still a noob myself, so don't hold me to that.

For bokeh purposes, I'd use that 25mm you have. And the number of aperture blades really doesn't matter, just controls the number of sides the polygon shapes will have.

Also forgot to mention, shoot it wide open, otherwise you'll get starbursts at tighter apertures.
Thanks for that. I was thinking I would shoot it long lens outdoors, so totally had the wrong idea. Will give this a try. And very interesting regarding the number of aperture blades - had no idea that actually effects the photo itself. The 25mm lens has 7 blades so should provide some interesting results...
11-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Out of focus with a relatively fast lens and focus way to far or too close and experiment until you get a look you like.
Yikes, that lens got some badly polished glass!

11-27-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
Thanks for that. I was thinking I would shoot it long lens outdoors, so totally had the wrong idea. Will give this a try. And very interesting regarding the number of aperture blades - had no idea that actually effects the photo itself. The 25mm lens has 7 blades so should provide some interesting results...
Generally primes have better bokeh. You could do it with a long lens, but it would (probably) need it to be a macro to focus close to you based on ow far you are from the lights. I just did a web search, and if you search for 'bokeh number of blades', or in your case '7 blade bokeh', you can see some of the shapes.
11-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's really easy to do and possible with most bright light sources in low light.

Some of my examples

Christmas lights

Sun through leaves

Far away street lamps

Last edited by VisualDarkness; 11-27-2014 at 08:46 AM.
11-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Brand loyalty has little to do with logic or evidence. It is a visceral, emotional thing and all the pictures in the world won't move it a millimeter in either direction.

11-27-2014, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Brand loyalty has little to do with logic or evidence. It is a visceral, emotional thing and all the pictures in the world won't move it a millimeter in either direction.
And what exactly does that have to do with the thread?
11-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Generally primes have better bokeh. You could do it with a long lens, but it would (probably) need it to be a macro to focus close to you based on ow far you are from the lights. I just did a web search, and if you search for 'bokeh number of blades', or in your case '7 blade bokeh', you can see some of the shapes.
Hmm interesting. I'm not sure I love the 7 blade bokeh, seems less rounded than other blade numbers. Still, super cool, thanks again.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 02:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's really easy to do and possible with most bright light sources in low light.

Some of my examples

Sun through leaves

Christmas lights

Far away street lamps
Thanks for sharing - awesome pics. The Swedish Bokeh pic is beautiful; stunning colours. Tusind tak dude.
11-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
The Nikon thread is that way ----->
11-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Will give this a try. And very interesting regarding the number of aperture blades - had no idea that actually effects the photo itself. The 25mm lens has 7 blades so should provide some interesting results...
You can also mess up the shape of the out of focus highlights with little cardboard cutouts in front of the lens:

DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography
11-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
25mm f1.4
Mount this lens. Select M mode on camera and place camera on tripod. Choose F to 1.4 if you want the balls to be round, choose f2 if you want to give them a shape. The shape depends on number of aperture blades and how they come together. Most new Pentax lenses have rounded aperture blades, so a bigger f number will still be round, just smaller. Older lenses usually have straight blades, turning the round balls into hexagons and similar shapes.
Now select MF and focus relatively near the minimum focus distance. Aim camera at lights, like christmas lights or many small candles.Turn off all or most other lights.
For the final touch, use shutter speed and ISO (ISO should be lowest number, or near that) to make the photo brighter or darker. If you use an automatic mode like Av, press the EV +/- button (exposure value compensation) to make the photo darker or brighter. You probably want to make it "darker".
If you shoot raw, you can make the photo look great in photoshop, aperture, gimp, faststone, raw therapee.. if you shoot jpeg, choose a jpeg mode that has big contrast and saturated colours.

Simply put, what you need is low f-number and misfocused image (usually focused "too close"), while keeping the point light sources relatively close as well. Play with these distances to get a sweet spot. You can try other things like in-camera HDR or one of the jpeg modes that mimics film style.
11-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Mount this lens. Select M mode on camera and place camera on tripod. Choose F to 1.4 if you want the balls to be round, choose f2 if you want to give them a shape. The shape depends on number of aperture blades and how they come together. Most new Pentax lenses have rounded aperture blades, so a bigger f number will still be round, just smaller.
Now select MF and focus relatively near the minimum focus distance. Aim camera at lights, like christmas lights or many small candles.Turn off all or most other lights.
For the final touch, use shutter speed and ISO (ISO should be lowest number, or near that) to make the photo brighter or darker. If you use an automatic mode like Av, press the EV +/- button (exposure value compensation) to make the photo darker or brighter. You probably want to make it "darker".
If you shoot raw, you can make the photo look great in photoshop, aperture, gimp, faststone, raw therapee.. if you shoot jpeg, choose a jpeg mode that has big contrast and saturated colours.
Thanks so much for this! Will see how I go.
11-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And what exactly does that have to do with the thread?
Absolutely nothing. This isn't the thread to which I was responding and I honestly don't know how my answer got here. No doubt a "short between the keyboard and chair." My apologies.
11-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
You can also mess up the shape of the out of focus highlights with little cardboard cutouts in front of the lens:

DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography

Yup. The results can be fun, but YMMV depending on the lens used. Some lenses can pull it off, while others can't (at least in my experience).