Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Damn Brit

I think I got a bargain today

Either my luck's in or I lost fifty bucks.
Saw a post in Craigs List last night from a guy who was clearing out his parents stuff. A box of cameras and bits and pieces he wanted $90 for. Sent him a message and he called me at work today. He brought the box to where I work so I could look at the stuff.
I started going through it, the bits and pieces were a few cable releases, a packet of old lens cleaning tissues (yes tissues) some old flash bulbs and a vintage Honeywell Strobonar 100 flash (it says 'forget flashbulbs forever' on the box). There was one lens, an old Konica 55 mm with a macro converter in a nice case.
Then I got to the cameras (all P&S) they were; Leica AF-C1 (looked clean), a Minolta Freedom Tele (I checked online and the Leica was based on this one) with a little cosmetic damage, a Pentax IQZoom (clean), a Pentax IQZoom 95s (crack in the plastic over the LCD), an old Polaroid OneStep Land Camera (icon, never had one and I thinks it's a cool thing to have on a shelf) and finally a C***n 3.3 mp.
I opened them all up, rummaged in the box, couldn't find a charger for the C****n so I told him a charger would probably cost more than the camera was worth. The P&S's had dead batteries. So I told him that I didn't want to risk $90 and I was prepared to risk $30 on the Leica (I just wanted the snob value of owning a Leica even if it didn't work). He told me he'd let me have it all for $50. I don't think I've ever written a check so fast.
So then I had to wait the rest of the day to get home and check out what worked and what didn't. I felt a bit like it was Christmas day.
Any way, so far both the Pentax power up ok with a fresh battery in them. I've found User Guides for all of them online. Both the Leica and the Minolta power up ok. I don't care about the C***n and I hope I shoud be able to get a few bucks for the Konika lenses.
All in all I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, can't wait for the weekend to get some batteries and some film to see if I can get any pictures out of them.
Sorry about the long post but I've been so excited and I just needed to tell someone.
I don't want to tell the wife until I know whether they work ok. Even if they do work, she's just going to roll her eyes and say "What are you going to do with another six cameras?". LOL
Thanks to any one who reads this and wish me luck.
Gary

05-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you've got fifty odd dollars burning a hole in your wallet, I suppose such an investment could be interesting, if nothing more. I really doubt they'll be of any use to you, but this would be a good base for a film P&S collection.
05-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Well actually, I do like to have a Film P&S as a walk around for taking B&W so if they do work then I'll be happy. And fifty bucks to treat myself isn't much compared to the Bigma that my LBA is whispering constantly in my ear about.
Gary
05-21-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

GAH the Bigma will be the end of me. If I can ever afford it...

05-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's a cool find Gary,

I'd pay $50.00 for a decent quality 35mm P&S myself
05-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

hey Gary you will have to let us know how things work out I know about bigma, I want one too
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess now you can brag about owning a Leica and look at everybody drooling. I think you could find worst ways to loose money. Have fun.
05-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Gary, I think you did fine. B&W still looks better to me on film. The Leica will be fun to play with. So many cameras to check out. You could have spent $50 on a single meal. Rather have the cameras.
I used to get embarassed by all the cameras living at the house. Could justify quite a few film ones. Needed color slide camera, B&W camera, High ISO camera, etc. With slides could even get Velvia in one, E100 in another , and Kodachrome 64 in a third.
Saw a show recently called the SHOT. It was like survivor with photgraphers (good show). The episode that made me decide I had too few cameras used a 3D camera setup. This was 90 EOS DSLR cameras in a circle. Thought my head was going to explode with the concept of using 90 cameras at the same time. So awesome. Don't have 90 but most likely have more than 30 cameras. Ouch.
thanks
barondla
Show us some results. Maybe even a pic of the whole tribe you paid $50 for.

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

05-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Thanks for the comments people. I think I did ok.
05-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Gary, I think you did fine. B&W still looks better to me on film. The Leica will be fun to play with. So many cameras to check out. You could have spent $50 on a single meal. Rather have the cameras.
I used to get embarassed by all the cameras living at the house. Could justify quite a few film ones. Needed color slide camera, B&W camera, High ISO camera, etc. With slides could even get Velvia in one, E100 in another , and Kodachrome 64 in a third.
Saw a show recently called the SHOT. It was like survivor with photgraphers (good show). The episode that made me decide I had too few cameras used a 3D camera setup. This was 90 EOS DSLR cameras in a circle. Thought my head was going to explode with the concept of using 90 cameras at the same time. So awesome. Don't have 90 but most likely have more than 30 cameras. Ouch.
thanks
barondla
Show us some results. Maybe even a pic of the whole tribe you paid $50 for.

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
Thanks for the comments, I saw that show, wasn't bad. Already entered P&S #7 maybe if I get time I'll try and add another couple of entries.
Gary
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
-- edit-- I don't want to tell the wife until I know whether they work ok. Even if they do work, she's just going to roll her eyes and say "What are you going to do with another six cameras?". LOL
Gary
Gary.... it sounds like we may be married to the same woman! When she rolls her eyes and says something about more cameras or lenses, "wah wah wah", does she also give you a slight disapproving look? Does it end with something like "where are you gonna put that crap?" If so, I need to see a picture of her to make sure it is not my wife....

enjoy your toys....
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Gary.... it sounds like we may be married to the same woman! When she rolls her eyes and says something about more cameras or lenses, "wah wah wah", does she also give you a slight disapproving look? Does it end with something like "where are you gonna put that crap?" If so, I need to see a picture of her to make sure it is not my wife....

enjoy your toys....
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier Gus. She normally says something about the 'crap' I already have!.
Gary
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know how you feel. The other day my wife phoned from the yard sale circut to say she'd bought me a broken pentax camera with three lenses for $20. I was like a kid on Christmas eve, trying to imagine what gifts I was getting.

If any of you frequent DPR, you may have seen my post there wondering what I was getting and asking for guesses. Everyone was cruel, guessing I was getting Sears lenses etc, but reality was different... A Spotmatic that won't fire, with a Super Multi Coated Takumar 50/1.4 with caps, SMC Takumar 28/3.5 with rear cap and mint hood, and a Vivitar 85-205 with a 3x TC (yuck-but it looks cool), plus lens cases, a basic camera bag... Woo Hoo!

Now I want to go to yard sales every day.
05-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm disappointed. I was waiting you to find a 50 mm f/1.2 or similar gem in the box .
05-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Congrats!!! A nice find indeed.