Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vertical Photos

QuoteQuote:
This seems so obvious, but based on the number of people who still post vertical photos, it clearly isn’t. The world of vertical photography, once dominated by hanging portraits, magazine covers, passport and school photos, and leather-bound albums, has come to an end. We look at everything horizontally: our computers, our phones, our TVs. Our eyes are side by side, not one on top of the other. It’s time for a moratorium on vertical photos on the Internet.

12-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The article sucks. The author is trying to impose a rigid rule. Yes, too many people use their cell phones to capture vertical videos that would be better horizontal, but that doesn't mean every composition must be horizontal.
12-02-2014, 07:35 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every shot should be in 6x6 format so that we would get rid of articles like this.
12-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I often enjoy viewing the New York City skyline as it appears from over here in New Jersey in all it's wide and majestic glory. Other times I just want to take in the imposing verticality of the Empire State Building apart from it's surroundings.

Yes, our eyes are side by side and we do read side to side. But moratorium? That's killing the housefly with the proverbial sledge hammer. I don't mind asking people to be more aware of orientation when they take a picture. We need not go overboard, however. Hard and fast rules should be remnants of days gone by, not harbingers of a darker future.

12-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is what the photographer makes of it. If he/she is happy with the results, then vertical/horizontal, black & white/color; matters little. If there were hard rules governing photography, then the fun and excitement of capturing an image would be taken away. Our choices are what makes photography so amazing, whether others agree with our choices, or not.

Last edited by csa; 12-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.
12-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are certain times when the human does see vertically. You are not aware of it, but when you look at a tall, thin building your mind crops out what would have been in a horizontal view. If you don't believe me, just try it sometime. Therefore, why not shoot the picture vertically as you really did see it?
12-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm, this article wasn't formatted to fit onto my wide screen monitor.

12-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
There are certain times when the human does see vertically. You are not aware of it, but when you look at a tall, thin building your mind crops out what would have been in a horizontal view. If you don't believe me, just try it sometime. Therefore, why not shoot the picture vertically as you really did see it?
Yes, that is why we see tall things as so majestic, they just grabs all our attention.
12-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yes, that is why we see tall things as so majestic, they just grabs all our attention.
When a woman is being honest, if asked what is the "feature", or characteristic she likes more in the man she chose, she mentions how tall he his...
12-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Vertical Photos
This article brings out the wee rebel in me, I'm going out of my way to take more portrait mode images now.
12-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In fact, I (almost) never do... Unless it's a close-up...
12-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

i won't click on the link but i am pretty sure it is the same article i remember reading a couple months ago. Silly and a complete waste of time.
Carry on folks, vertical comps are alive and well.
12-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know I still shoot vertical portraits. For hundreds of years painters used verticals for (individual) portraits and horizontals for scenery an everything else why ? I don't know maybe it's easier on the eyes. I also use verticals when taking pictures that just wont fit in horizontal mode...
12-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I don't know I still shoot vertical portraits. For hundreds of years painters used verticals for (individual) portraits and horizontals for scenery an everything else why?
Maybe because although our eyes are horizontal, our posture is vertical?
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Is called "portrait" and not "vertical photos" and its been used in arts and photography way, way, way(x100) before this iPhone generation.
People should get an education already...

Oh and "horizontal photos" is actually "landscape"...