Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never though a SD card would do this!

PTN magazine had a small interview with higher up Canon executive. He was talking about video. He said by 2010 the predominate video format will be solid state memory. Even for HD movies.
Then he wowed the room by giving a bunch of numbers that was interupted by gasps from the room. The number that floored everyone? He said we will see a 500Gig SDHC card! Interviewer said that the Canon man didn't act like that was the end point ( just where he was interrupted).
Man, never though so much could be packed in so little space. Wonder what the scientists think the technical limit is? Hard drives could become a thing of the past.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

05-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2010 seems a bit optomistic for that size. But sure, it'll happen — it's bad to bet against Moore's law. Every time someone thinks we're about to hit some theoretical limit, turns out there's a way on past.
05-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, the Canon man didn't say (at least clearly) that the 500G would be by 2010. Just that most video would be solid state. Still amazing. Not sure where memory is headed for consumers. They don't need 32g for P&S still cameras!
thanks
barondla
Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Solid-state memory is already making its way into our devices. FAST. Camcorders, mobile phones, PDAs, SDDs, digital still cameras etc...

With prices continuously dropping, I wouldn't be surprised if the 500 GB mark would be hit sooner than anybody expects.

05-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a Canon ZR700 camcorder and it can use either the mini DV tapes or the SD card, I have never put a card in the camera, just using the tapes only but now that SD cards are getting larger I might try one. The SD card downloads through a USB port and the tape can only use Firewire. You can also use it as a point and shoot with the SD card but I have never used it that way. Video uses a huge amount of memory so big cards will be needed unless they start making video cameras that record in a compressed mode. DVI uses 186MB a minute of video but you can really notice the difference compared to compressed formats, even more than JPEG - Raw. It makes sense to go that way too. Probably most of the failures and returns of camcorders involve the mechanical issues of tape recording and DVD burning. You can include PC's in this too. 10 years from now the hard drive will probably go the way of the floppy, especially in laptops.
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

why does this surprise people.....

you guys are getting old.
05-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Solid state drives are already a reality for laptops, desktops and servers. They're quite expensive still and 160GB is the largest I've run across; but they are here. Intel has just gone public with the announcement of the "Atom" processor that packs around 80 million transistors with speeds ranging from 800MHz to 1.86GHz and is smaller than a US penny.

So what I'm getting at is I won't be shocked at all to see a 512GB SD* card hitting the streets in the next couple years.

05-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #8

The MacBook Air has an option to have a 64gb solid state "hard drive" rather than the 80gb regular one.
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

if we can do away with as many moving parts as possible, all of our gadgets would last longer. Solid state memory is a great thing.
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Forum Member

sorry for my ignorance, but what is "solid state"?
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not really surprised that solid state will be the next big thing. Just surprised that a card that couldn't go above 2GB in the beginning (had to resort to SDHC) can hold that much. The inital SD card must have been kind of flubbed to only allow growth to 2G. Amazed that so much can now be put in so little space.
Would be nice to have video without ANY compression. Saw a short uncompressed dvd once and it was so much better than the same material on standard dvd. Almost HD looking. Maybe jpeg, mpeg, mp3 are all headed for the history books! That would be great. Better pictures, better audio (goodbye CD, DVD A, and SACD) without compression/restraints.
Hope its sooner rather than later.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I imagine the 2gb limit was in the firmware- PC's had the same limitations with hard drives For a while the limit was something like 2.1 gigs, then 8.4 gigs, then (I think) something like 124 gigs, and now it's in the terabyte region. To have a larger drive, you would need to upgrade your BIOS. That's basically what the SDHC spec is- a firmware upgrade to allow cards larger than 2 gigs (I wonder what the highest limit is- ok, reading the wikipedia entry, it's 2048 gigs, but arbitrarily limited to 32 gigs- fools).

One issue with a 500+ gig SD card- heat! even if they are able to shrink the manufacturing processes down, I can't imagine that the current SD physical form could dissipate the amount of heat needed by that capacity and speed.
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
One issue with a 500+ gig SD card- heat! even if they are able to shrink the manufacturing processes down, I can't imagine that the current SD physical form could dissipate the amount of heat needed by that capacity and speed.
It is always a MAJOR concern with any shrinking technology. Finding a way to reduce the amount of power used in the device is one way they can combat that.
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shibby3.8 Quote
It is always a MAJOR concern with any shrinking technology. Finding a way to reduce the amount of power used in the device is one way they can combat that.
errr doesn't a die shrink normally mean less heat and power usage? I know it does for cpu's.