Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monopod vs. Tripod

I have a Slik tripod which is light weight and really not heavy enough for the lenses I use. What I was wondering how a good stout monopod would work for the K10D + tele lens. While watching my tripod I could see the vibration. I am looking at monopods because I do some backpacking. Does a monopod take care of the vibration very well? Thanks all.

05-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I have a Slik tripod which is light weight and really not heavy enough for the lenses I use. What I was wondering how a good stout monopod would work for the K10D + tele lens. While watching my tripod I could see the vibration. I am looking at monopods because I do some backpacking. Does a monopod take care of the vibration very well? Thanks all.
It does for me. I just piced up a Manfrotto 681B monopod with a 3229 single axis head. Sure steadies things for me.
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How big is your telephoto lens? I guess same rule regarding supported weight applies to monopod as it applies to tripod. If you have very big and heavy lens, then it should have tripod collar so the weight of the lens does not produce tipping effect. Without that even the monopod is not going to be sufficient. The pan-head or ball-head should also be sturdy enough to hold the complete package (camera+lens). So if you are looking for monopod, you should take all that into consideration.
05-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A monopod is going to give you more stability than just your hands, but less than a tripod. The advantages are it is much lighter and can double as a walking stick. I have a Promaster that I use and I find it will get me down to around 1/8 using a 300mm lens with the SR turned on.

05-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

a monopod is used when you need a mobility.

it will only ever out-perform a tripod where one cannot physicaly put (or carry) a tripod...
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a Versapod hiking stick/monopod and it works fairly well. Its a Ritz relabel of the Trek Go Pod. Pretty sturdy a a hiking stick. It can be used as a kind of tripod too as the bottom opens up to 3 fold out legs. Its shakey with my Sigma 70 - 300 on it at 300. The magmount/ballhead that comes with it works ok but a real ballhead can be added. I used it quite a bit this spring taking pictures at rowing regattas and had some camera shake issues with the lens extended to 300. My lens doesn't have a tripod collar so that doesn't help much but my 5 cups of coffee a day doesn't help either. Glad the K10D has SR.
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Manfrotto 682B, very sturdy and it even has legs that fold out at the bottom that are stored within the monopod itself. Very nice feature. And I use the 486RC2 Ballhead with it.

05-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use a Manfrotto 681B with my K20D and Sigma 70-200/f2.8. It's great for what I use it for - sports mainly. But it isn't a substitute for a tripod, not as stable for sure. I looked at the 682B recently, as it's taller (see Buddha's post above), but it's quite a bit heavier. Also Manfrotto cheat when they measured the height of that one, they measure it with the legs open, not as a monopod, so it's only about 30mm taller than the 681, not the 100mm (I think) they claim.
05-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really depends on your intended usage. Note that most sports shooters in those luminous vests use a monopod.

But if your going to be shooting night scenes, sunrise/set (anything that involves a longer exposure) then a tripod is a better choice.
05-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buddha,

I was looking at 682B the other day, but was told by the sales assistant that they wouldn't recommend it isn't very sturdy and to buy a tripod instead...never trust a salesman! Personally I like the size, easy of use and space saving features of the 682B over a tripod (not to mention saving some $$). Do you use a tripod as well or just the 682B mono?

Daz
05-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
There are several issues with vibration, first is vibration of teh entire tripod assembly, although more expensive tripods are better at this, virtually every pro recommends suspending a weight from the tripod to take the bulk ov these vibrations away. Many carry specifically made bags they fill with rocks. I usually suspend the remainder of my kit in my camera bag.

There is also vibration about the tripod head, which suspending a weight does nothing for. Some of this can be eliminated with different types of heads, but for really long lenses the best is a long lens support. see the attached link

Bogen / Manfrotto | 3252 Long Lens Support | 3252 | B&H Photo

This works really well, and note that although shown vertically up from a tripod leg, I find that an angle (side to side) works better because vertical orientation only removes vertical vibration, where as a sideways offset helps take both vertical and horizontal vibration away. Note the camera can make some of this with the mirror and shutter movement

ALso use a cable release.

Monopods work well and are mobile, but a tripod is the ultimate. Even with a monopod, you will have some motion, and you might want to consider even with the monopod, using a cable release to isolate the camera from unintended motion when pressing the shutter/
05-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Buddha,

I was looking at 682B the other day, but was told by the sales assistant that they wouldn't recommend it isn't very sturdy and to buy a tripod instead...never trust a salesman! Personally I like the size, easy of use and space saving features of the 682B over a tripod (not to mention saving some $$). Do you use a tripod as well or just the 682B mono?

Daz
Not very sturdy?!?!?!, have you lifted this thing, it's a fricken tank. It's part of my home security, I showed it to my insurance agent and got a discount on my homeowners insurance. You salesman was obviously on crack. Granted it is no substitute for a true tripod, but yes I have used it as one and it worked fine, just don't drop a 300mm lens on it and walk away.

I used it as a tripod when I was at the Grand Canyon taking morning shots when it was about 20 degrees out and there was a -20 degree wind chill. I mounted the DA*16-50mm, pulled out the legs and strapped it down to the railing and remotely fired it so I could keep my hands in my pockets, steady as a rock.
05-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks Buddha.

Two birds with one stone....get a great mono/tripod and save $$ on home insurance
05-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #14

I have also toyed with this question. Whilst a tripod (or some form of clamp) is essential for night work, a monopod has advantages. You can view some tests I did here: 2008 05 18 The focal length is only 105mm, but it should give you an idea.