Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IN a pickle?

Yes I do have a questions

Tonight I went to a soccer presentation indoors ,Now I think the lighting indoors has a lot to be desired for but,using flash(cam)iso setting to 200-400 and lot of pixs where horribly dark .I know what your thinking post some pix.

But what Im interested along with other ppl is a guide to what to do and not

Thank you for your patience

They say to ask is to help

cheers

Last edited by cupic; 05-24-2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: xtra info
05-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like you were shooting at distances beyond what the puny on-board flash is capable of covering.
05-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can adjust the setting for your flash.
I don't know how to on the K10, but it should say in your book.

The other thing is try lowering the f-stop
05-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Cupic, one thing that can cause horribly dark indoor fill-flash pics is your choice of metering pattern. If you're using matrix/evaluative metering, any bright light sources in your scene (arena lighting and flash reflecting off nearby scene elements, especially) will trick your camera into thinking that the whole scene is brighter than it is, resulting in significant underexposure for the rest of the scene.

I suggest using spot metering and taking some preliminary shots to work out the lighting in the arena. Once you have a good idea of the general brightness in the scene, you can decide which exposure mode you want to work in (AV, TV, or manual work well), set your preferred aperture, shutter speed, or both, a workable ISO (400 is a good starting point), and then set your flash for fill flash.

Remember that the flash won't have much effect on parts of the scene more than a few (3-20) meters away, depending on the flash's guide number, of course. The lighting in the arena will predominate beyond that, so be sure your basic exposure is set according to the scene's general lighting.