Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Star-D close-up attachment. Questions.

I'm speechless, and that ain't often! Last week, I bought a Vivitar 28-210mm, f:3.5-5.6 macro (1:4) lens from eBay for the grand sum of $19.55, shipping included. Fed-Ex delivered the package today and not only did the box contain the lens, but also a letter that said," I've also included a couple of extra items (camera, lens, etc...) I tried to sell the camera but it was returned, (look thru the viewfinder and you will see why) Do with them what you want, sell them, give them to somebody or throw them away. Thanks for your purchase. - Joe Jeffery -"

The package contained not only the lens in question.... pristine, virtually NIB with original paperwork and an original price tag of $199.95.... but a very nice K1000 (with a bug on the mirror) with an extremely clean SMC Pentax-M, 50mm f:2.0 lens attached to it, two 77mm Hoya filters (a UV & CP), both NIB with original price tags of $22.95 and $29.95 respectively and the Star-D close-up attachment (49mm).

I was completely blown away at this eBay seller's generosity. I promptly called him and offered my most sincere thanks. An amazing gesture in these times. It completely made my day and in no small way, renewed my outlook on people in general.

So, getting back to the purpose of this thread. Do any of you have any experience with the Star-D close-up attachment?

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:36 PM.
12-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are some nice people in this world after all. Did you ever hear the old saying "Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then"?
Good for you. You just found one.
12-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. Merry Christmas.
12-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wonderful story. Filled my heart with great joy!

12-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sometimes it's really nice that Pentax is seen with such low worth by so many. I'm sure Canonikon users often
see the opposite side of the coin; offers to buy Rebels and Kit lenses for top price and such.
12-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
So, getting back to the purpose of this thread. Do any of you have any experience with the Star-D close-up attachment?
Why don't you just give it a try. There is nothing to lose!

The real coup are the two filters. If you price them, you will know what I mean. Two thumbs up for the seller!

Steve
12-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Why don't you just give it a try. There is nothing to lose!

The real coup are the two filters. If you price them, you will know what I mean. Two thumbs up for the seller!

Steve

I just gave it a try and I'm pretty impressed. I attached it to a SMC Pentax 50mm f:1.4 lens and the results were pretty dang good! Even at f:22, the DOF was way more than I expected. I'll post the results when PF gets caught up. Apparently I ran out of space to post photos and just made another donation, but it hasn't registered yet. The cool thing about the Hoya 77mm filters? I have a Pentax-K 400mm f:5.6 lens and IT takes 77mm filters! How'z about that!

O.K. Here's the results using the Star-D macro attachment. Not bad, especially for free!

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:36 PM.
12-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What goes around comes around :
Sometimes it takes a while to catch up with you ...
12-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The real coup are the two filters. If you price them, you will know what I mean.
If they're coated, yes.

What a great haul!
12-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Even at f:22, the DOF was way more than I expected.
I believe that is one of the benefits of auxiliary close-up lenses. Both exposure times and DOF are not effected.

Steve
12-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe that is one of the benefits of auxiliary close-up lenses. Both exposure times and DOF are not effected.

Steve

I'm really impressed with the quality of this inexpensive little device.... and the results I got from it. Magnification is on the order of 1:1.... or perhaps even a little greater. I like the fact that it has it's own focusing ring, with quite a long throw, too.