Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

A couple of close focus lens tests.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Tonight, I tried out a couple of new lenses... new to me, that is. A CPC 80-200mm close focus and a Vivitar 28-210mm macro-focusing lens. Both gave better results than I expected. Certainly not on par with some of the high-end lenses.... but the CPC was .99 cents! And the Vivitar was $9.00. I'm pleased as punch.

The first is from the CPC, second is from the Vivitar.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:36 PM.
12-16-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love both pictures - good colour and sharp enough (to my eyes).
You certainly haven't wasted any money on those two!
12-16-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Love both pictures - good colour and sharp enough (to my eyes).
You certainly haven't wasted any money on those two!

No Rod, I don't think so! It's my understanding that the CPC lenses were made by a subsidiary of the Pentax Corporation. The quality of the build and the optics point to it, for sure. I have a CPC 28mm Macro that is superb.... and it too was a steal! I'll be keeping my eye out for more of these little gems.

Edit: Matter of fact, I just saw a pristine CPC 28mm on eBay for $14.00, with a "Buy it Now."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPC-28-mm-f-2-8-manual-focus-MACRO-lens-for-K-KA-KR-...item35e1e53c52
12-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I notice the 28mm CPC on eBay sold. Were one of you guys/gals the lucky bidder? A nice lens for a ridiculously cheap price of $14.00!

12-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not me?
I could have afforded the lens...but the postage!!!
Really, I am not into acquisition for the sake of it, and I feel pretty comfortable at the short end (DA 15 Ltd, Sigma 10-20, DA 18-135).
I would like something longer, but it would have to be a bargain - the Siggy 150-500 would be nice!
12-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Not me?
I could have afforded the lens...but the postage!!!
Really, I am not into acquisition for the sake of it, and I feel pretty comfortable at the short end (DA 15 Ltd, Sigma 10-20, DA 18-135).
I would like something longer, but it would have to be a bargain - the Siggy 150-500 would be nice!

I've found myself in need of something on the short end more than once in the past year. Currently, the widest lens I have is an 18-55 DA-L kit lens and it is, to say the least, not all that good. When on a junket to the Snake River Canyon, where Evel Knievel made his ill-fated jump, I used the little kit lens... out of necessity, as I had nothing else that would encompass that great expanse.... and I was very disappointed in the results, once I got home and downloaded the images. All were soft. Very soft, and disappointing, indeed. To add insult to injury, the water flow over Shoshone Falls.... our original reason for the trip.... was at a very low volume despite reports to the contrary, and the photos of it were not the spectacular ones we had envisioned.

Here's a video of the Knievel's attempted jump. You can see just how wide this canyon is. It looks even more impressive in person! I climbed to the top of the ramp and actually looked out, across this abyss and said to myself, "This guy was an idiot! What was he thinking?"
12-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
the widest lens I have is an 18-55 DA-L
I have a Sigma 10-20 EX (The variable aperture version) that I find quite nice.
If you need wide, it is worth a look.