Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #1

Histogram for flash photos

Hi all, first post - please let me know if I'm in the right place! I got a new flash for my K5 the Promaster 4500 EDF which I find works well enough in manual mode. I know that the histogram is not the be all end all for correct exposure. What I am finding is that the histogram on my flash photos shows high contrast - ie high points at each end without clipping but with much lower values along the central section. This is in RGB and in simple grey. This is also with a bounce flash but without any fill (sometimes I have to twist the flash around backwards to be able to tilt backwards to compensate for my angle (taking photos of baby on floor) I am flashing off of a stippled 8 foot ceiling. Does this mean I need to drop the flash power down to 1/8 and adjust the exposure with the shutter and aperture. If so - does this mean the flash is not as useful as I thought for helping get nice images in low light? I wonder if this is a big challenge for the photographer. Thanks in advance. I will be available to respond to questions.

12-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Right place, might have gotten more attention in the Flashes section, but I'll let one of our strobists answer your question.
12-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do the photos look? Samples including exif might help.
12-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Stofen or Fong modifier will raise the central values in the histogram, but may not be the look you're after (unidirectional bounce flash, particularly off a side wall and using a flag - simulates a window light source).

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2014 at 01:14 PM.
12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The histogram will have a different shape for every image. Hard to say if it is "good" or not.

An example image would be helpful, but it sounds like you're shooting in a dark area with the background some distance away from your subject. In such a case the histogram is "expected" to look like that. The background is going to be dark and on the low end. Your subjects are going to be near the high end.

You can do various things to balance the ambient light to your subject in order to give a flatter histogram and probably a more pleasing image that does not look like it was shot with flash... but depending on the location and ability to light potentially large areas, you may be limited.
As a start, raise the ISO, and/or extend your shutter speed.

Personally, I say forget the histogram even exists. People put way too much importance and reliance upon it than it is worth.
It is slightly useful with JPG (histogram is based on the jpeg processing).
Histogram is all but useless if you are shooting RAW.
It is often a waste of time, as too often it is not close to a true indication of your image.