Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is the New York Times using very light HDR?

I just perused through the 100 Photos of 2014 on the NYT's site (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/28/sunday-review/2014-year-in-pictures.html). Check out this photo:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2014/12/28/opinion/sunday/2014-yip-july-...superJumbo.jpg

Doesn't this photo look kinda HDR-ish? Seems like there are other photos in the gallery that look like this, too.

12-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
I just perused through the 100 Photos of 2014 on the NYT's site (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/28/sunday-review/2014-year-in-pictures.html). Check out this photo:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2014/12/28/opinion/sunday/2014-yip-july-...superJumbo.jpg

Doesn't this photo look kinda HDR-ish? Seems like there are other photos in the gallery that look like this, too.
That photo just looks like it was underexposed in the shadows, and then the shadows were given a substantial boost in-post. I'm basing that on the color of the arms, since that's what I see when I do that to my photos.

I am looking at this on my garbage work monitor, so I may be off on that.
12-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
That photo just looks like it was underexposed in the shadows, and then the shadows were given a substantial boost in-post. I'm basing that on the color of the arms, since that's what I see when I do that to my photos.

I am looking at this on my garbage work monitor, so I may be off on that.
Have to agree. Also, there seems to be a good bit of movement in the photo - multiple exposure HDR and lots of movement doesn't generally result in sharp images in my experience. Could be wrong there but that's what I see.
12-23-2014, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for bringing this photographer to my attention. If this image really strikes you, you might want to take a look at the photographer's own website and study some of her work. I haven't had a chance to go much beyond the main page, but I've seen some pretty amazing stuff so far. If anyone is interested in documentary photography I suggest they check it out.

Meridith Kohut Photography

12-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have to agree with the others. Looks like "Lighten Shadows" and maybe a bit of "Darken Highlights" or "Polarization" in post. Too much of that sort of thing messes up the contrast and makes the image look like a comic book but if you use a gentle hand you can bring up shadows without blending multiple images.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with using HDR when it is warranted as long as it isn't heavy handed.
12-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have to agree. Also, there seems to be a good bit of movement in the photo - multiple exposure HDR and lots of movement doesn't generally result in sharp images in my experience. Could be wrong there but that's what I see.
Exactly this. None of the images in there are HDR (multiple exposures merged into one), but plenty of them are using the expanded dynamic range of a decent sensor with lots of post-processing (shadow lifting and highlight clamping).
12-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There seems to be some kind of smoothing going on as well. Anybody know what that's about?

12-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #8

When you have high dynamic range camera.. HDR is almost unnecessary unless you want those unreal landscape look and feel. Majority of photographers don't have time to wait for camera to process a HDR or taking multiple shots to do even more postone work. Pick a camera with high dynamic range saved most of situations. I have photos that are completely black on the foreground and saved the entire image by using "shadow recovery".

As a side note.. if you know RAW well enough, recovering highlight and shadow area is identical idea like HDR.. It's basically the same thing only you use what you have.. ONE RAW with all the dynamic range instead of 3.
12-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, folks. I know very little of Photoshop (my knowledge is pretty much "Auto Contrast"!), so this makes lots of sense. And I wasn't disparaging the use of HDR, if that was what was being used -- @abmj mentioned that too much post-processing could make it look like a comic book, and there is a little bit of that here, which is what got me thinking. It almost looks like it could be a photorealistic painting in the vein of Ralph Goings.
12-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, there is something more going on than just lifting the shadows. That would not explain the smoothness of everything. In fact, lifting the shadows will have the opposite effect in the shadow areas, showing more noise. So there is apparently some kind of noise reduction and smoothing being applied here, which also contributes to the surrealistic effect.
12-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

it's a well exposed shot, IMO, perhaps benefiting from pulling back some hot sky and pushing some of the shadows to bring up the people. Modern sensors can handle this and it is good to see photojournalism keeping up with technology. thumbs up
02-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think it is lifted shadows and 'clarity' slider.