Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tried out cameras at yodobashi

A great thing about yodobashi camera is that they have so many cameras out there that you can try yourself. Some of the more intersting things up for testing was a 1D mkIII with 300 f2.8 mounted, woah what a beast. There was also an EOS 1 film body with 400 f2.8 mounted, although on a tripod. d3 with 85 f1.4. no 1Ds though, the only one missing as far as I could tell. So some observations:

sony a700: tried just very briefly, dont like the ergonomics and especially the shutter button which is imo terrible. felt loose and like u had to press it way to far down for anything to happen, felt like a button on a cheap toy.

olympus e3: man the af is FAST! woah! it was smokin! it had an SWD lens on it, I dont know which one but it was a wide to normal and from the size it wasnt a fast zoom, but it could focus very close. I did a test where i focused 30cm on the stand in front of me and then quickly tilted the camera up and focused on the register which was several meters away, and it was just instant, I was more impressed with that than any other camera i handled in terms of af, but then again it depends on the lens and position so i could not compare but it really is amazingly fast. its still olympus though, so the vf is too small and dim. responsiveness gets top marks though. i think some ppl could be very happy with one and the 2x multiplier on the lenses makes for some v impressive focal lengths available there.

olympus 420: I have been looking for a pocket cam lately and a 420 with a 25 f2.8 pancacke is one alternative that comes up when u search for a good compact with raw etc. indeed the body is very compact and very neat, I think its a very cool little camera, pentax really has the perfect lenses for this kind of body so its too bad they dont make one. the vf was not good though, af seemed very far from the e3 and the shots i took didnt look too great, dunno if its the lcd screen thats not so good or what. but a very neat little body, quite cool in my book.

canon 5d: getting very affordable now and I note the VF is very impressive, it actually felt the biggest for me that day, but thats not a scientiffic statement. but it really felt like if it was a bit bigger then my eye wouldnt be able to see all at once. u know the feeling when u go to a cinema that has a huge screen and u sit a bit too close to it so u feel like u need to move your eyes around to see it all. responsiveness was not that great though. i know it makes very lovely pictures though, especially portraiture. gonna be interesting to see the replacement.

1d III with 300: v heavy hehehe made some feeble attempts at hand holding it. it was v cool to see though, the vf is v good and u can really see the seperation u can get, even a group of ppl standing together u can really isolate one of the faces. not bad. I just dont like canon though....

k20: didnt really try it too much. am not going to buy one and it feels just like my k10d so notinthing exiting to test compared to the other goodies available. they had several there and one had the da 300 mounted, tried it a bit and the af was quoite snappy, but it had trouble locking on several times. the lens felt good but the body didnt have a grip which makes a bad balance with that kind of lens. im the kind of guy who never takes the grip of the k10d (except ot get the battery out).

sigma dp1: I wanted one of these, but the reviews and the facts. man it could have been soooo sweet. one thing, so its reallllly slow to write a raw file to card and it locks up in the mean time but the buffer in continous mode can actually hold 3 raw files, so why the hell couldnt they do it so u can take one raw and it goes in the buffer and starts writing and u can still use the camera and take up to 2 more shots before that first shot has finished writing to card. actualy the first time i tried one 2 months ago it felt terrible. when i tried one yesterday it felt better, af was bearable if u compare to some older digicams and manual focus was usable. the one in the shop today had some problem though, it would just turn itself off after u turned it on, so no go there. im still consideirng if i should get one or not. i really hope other companies make similar cams.

nikon d3: oh baby... oh yeah... ooooh sexy momma... may i touch? oohh mmm yeah..aaah aa..aaAAAAAAAAA.... errr, I need to go change my underwear...
this camera just owns. it rocks. I tried some high iso shots and was like WTH?! r u kidding me? did I do sth wrong?! this cant be right! and the screen, holy smokes. with hte 14-24 f2.8 on. And I have huuuuge problems manually focusing my 12-24 f4 because I can hardly see the difference, with the d3 live view, which does zoom in to 1:1, I could actually focus the lens without zooming the screen at all, its just so sharp, amazing stuff. conclusion: I want a D3. Preferably by yesterday

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 07-08-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: remove swearing