Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered my k10d and....

I am as giddy as a school girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the k10d with the kit lens and a high speed 2 gig memory card and overnight shipping.... supposed to be here tommorrow and I am so excited!

Now, I have a few dollars left... what additional lense should I get next???

Maybe a new bag for it too....

02-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #2

Hello,
congratulatiosn to your K10D!
Let me just quote, what I suggested to another member recently in the following thread (sometimes questions are very similar, so that often the search functions does wonders ) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2787-what-lens-k10d.html :

'I had the Pentax 16-45 and sold it after 2 weeks for two reasons:
1. The zoom range was too small for me
2. In wide angle it is too long to use the internal flash (gives a shodow on the bottom)

Instead I bought a Sigma 17-70 (F2.8-4.5), which does not have these two problems. What I read in various forums about it was very good. Some think it has the same quality as the 16-45 (F4), others think it is very close to it. I did not see any differences in the image quality and I like it very much.
Furthermore it has a macro (1:2:3 20cm), which I enjoy, and is (a little) cheaper (appr. $ 350).

If you are looking for a definitely better quality, maybe primes (no zoom) could be useful. There are the so called limiteds from Pentax (DA series is new, FA series almost not available anymore). This is a question of style and budget to my opinion.

If you are looking for a very very easy to use lens and you do not want to change lenses, the new Tamron 18-250 (F3.5-6.3) could be of interest to you. (I think it will be available as of March or so). But it should be clear, that even though quality of big-range-zooms improved very much over the last years, you will not get pictures like the ones from roy. I expect it to cost appr. $ 500.

An in-between-solution could be the Sigma 18-125 (F3.5-5.6), if you do not need high mm for long distance. It is very important that you check the quality of it, because there was a significant variance of quality reported in the forums. But it could be that this is solved with the new edition (to be identified: logo is not only printed, but has a structure). It costs appr. $ 350.

(All prices are estimations for US, because I live in Germany.)

Maybe I could help you a little in finding a decision. In case of doubt, stick to your 18-55 for some time.'

Have fun with your K10D,
Jacob
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Jacob. I plan on using the kit lens until I learn all the camera's features and how to use a camera. This is my first dslr and I am excited to be getting into photography.
I had a Nikon 6006 a few years ago, but never really learned to use it.
I was torn between the k10d and the d80 and decided to just pull the trigger and go with the pentax.
I will post some pics soon, I hope and then I will have a ton fo questions.
Thanks.
02-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Just checked the tracking and it's on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I will stop now before I get on everyone's nerves.

I am signing up for a photography class next week too.

02-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the K10D. You will love it. The kit lens is a good place to start. Your next lens will depend on what type of pics you take. Give us more info. I also have the 16-45 and would not consider getting rid of it (except for the 12-24 or maybe 16-50 f2.8). It is a great lens. Yes, you can't use it with builtin in flash (no loss here) and it doesn't zoom as far, but it matches to the 50-200 perfectly! LBA is just around the corner.
thanks
barondla
02-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
I plan on taking pictures of birds and other animals. I also plan on shooting some indoor museum and outdoor park shots. We travel alot, so shooting in major cities with buildings and etc.
Of course the typical family shots and pics of friends at events.