Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on Fire and Ice Themed Pictures

Hi All,
Our local photography club has a theme of Fire and Ice for pictures this month.

I wondered if anyone had thoughts on taking pics.

One of the members made an ice cube with a hollow in it, and some 151 proof rum was poured in and set of fire, in a cast iron frying pan, with great results.

I am debating making ice structures and putting candles inside.

Debating pouring isopropyl alcohol into a cast iron pan, with ice cubes interspersed, and setting that on fire, figure my telephoto will keep me far enough away, just in case.

Thoughts?

I will post some pics of the first experiment.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ROBEFFY; 01-04-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
01-04-2015, 05:38 AM   #2

The ice sculpture and candles idea sounds great! I'd love to see pics if you go that way.
I would go toward bonfire in a snowy field, but that's only an option if you have snow (and a field) handy.
Also, you could go less litteral - fire and ice are used together in poetry to manifest internal struggle (Houseman) or passions (Frost) for example - so moody portraits could be an option.
And on another figurative yet contrasty note, jalapeno ice cream maybe?
But really, stick to candles in the sculpture, I'm curious what effects we'd see.
01-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What a HOT Idea

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Road Quote
The ice sculpture and candles idea sounds great! I'd love to see pics if you go that way.
I would go toward bonfire in a snowy field, but that's only an option if you have snow (and a field) handy.
Also, you could go less litteral - fire and ice are used together in poetry to manifest internal struggle (Houseman) or passions (Frost) for example - so moody portraits could be an option.
And on another figurative yet contrasty note, jalapeno ice cream maybe?
But really, stick to candles in the sculpture, I'm curious what effects we'd see.
My wife thinks freezing a Jalapeno Pepper in Ice is an awesome idea.

If you try to light fluids, remember, be careful. I used a barbecue lighter to ignite the liquid. I put the liquid in a pan, on a coaster, and let it burn. The cast iron pan got pretty hot even with ice cubes in it.

Thanks for you ideas!
02-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

It's hard to tell the ice cubes are ice cubes, but I have no ideas for making them look more icy.

02-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
My wife thinks freezing a Jalapeno Pepper in Ice is an awesome idea.
Good one! I think that not taking the theme very literally is easier and gives you more latitude in shooting. Play with the words visually.
M
02-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Good one! I think that not taking the theme very literally is easier and gives you more latitude in shooting. Play with the words visually.
M
I agree with both of you! Being literal is predictable..

As someome told me in response to "thinking out of the box", they said "what box?".

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
It's hard to tell the ice cubes are ice cubes, but I have no ideas for making them look more icy.
Not sure how to do that either.

We tried to make flat sheet of ice, by freezing water in a cake pan, 8x10 sized, and removing the ice sheet before it was fully frozen. It was partially clear, with streaks in it. I read that air gets trapped inside the ice and makes it cloudy and streaky. There is a technique for making clear ice cubes ina bartending site, haven't tried it.

We had high hopes for a flat sheet of ice, I wanted to light a fire, and shoot through the sheet, but the flu bug interfered, and now we have -15 high and -35C low temps. Haven't done an outside bonfire yet this winter!
02-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

I had your post in mind when hubby decided to light a brush pile during snow yesterday. Your cubes are a better image, but you said it was cold there so perhaps this will give you some ideas

Last edited by jeantree; 01-31-2017 at 10:24 AM.