Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #31
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Ruby would be fun but I fear I am stuck with beach glass. I did get a couple of large crystal like rocks to play with. Anyway, here are 3 more from my experiments.
The pinkish one is from the crystal rock I was given.
maria
Nice stuff.
Given your subject matter ignore the blurring comment.
Our camera sensor is 24mm across. Can you give an estimation of the dimensions of the in-frame subject (uncropped)so we have some idea of magnification.
And how much have you cropped it?

01-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Unfortunately the K3 is not supported by either program. I suppose you can use the FluCard if you have it and a suitable WiFi device.
What body would be suitable?
thank you
maria
01-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #33

Pk_tether

PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras

Officially supported bodies: Pentax k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200

People have gotten it to work with K-30 and K-50. Mixed results on these. Supposedly the developer has a version that partially works with the K-3 but it has not been released.

PKTriggerCord

http://pktriggercord.sourceforge.net/pktriggercord_commandline.html

Officially supported: K20d, K10d, GX10, GX20, K-X, K200D, K-7, K-r, K-5, K-2000, K-m, K-30, K100D, K110D, K-01, K-5II, K-5IIs.

PKTriggerCord is open source and there are variants out there. Search the forum.
01-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Nice stuff.
Given your subject matter ignore the blurring comment.
Our camera sensor is 24mm across. Can you give an estimation of the dimensions of the in-frame subject (uncropped)so we have some idea of magnification.
And how much have you cropped it?

For the tall white image:

The original image was 4000x6016
I cropped to 2992x4169 .
reduced in save to web to show here 646x900
Is that what you wanted to know?
I think the save to web might have reduced it a bit much. I used 85%, but I didn't want to hog space.
maria

/

01-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #35
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Presumably you are focussing the DA35 as close as possible-- then that is a 1:1 magnification on your sensor
After cropping your final image is a 1.5 : 1 magnification.
The downsizing to post them here is irrelevant.
To achieve this with your 35mm without cropping you would require about 8 diopters of closeup filters. I see you can get a 10 diopter as part of a set but I don't know how good it is. Otherwise it would involve stacking them which is less than ideal.
The close up filters are so cheap it would be silly not to try them. But it may be better if you have say a 55-300 zoom for your camera --- then it may work to put a close up filter on that as they work more effectively on telephoto.
Any one out there doing that?
Amazon.com : PLR Optics 58MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch For The Canon Digital EOS Rebel SL1 (100D), T5i (700D), T5 (1200D), T4i (650D), T3 (1100D), T3i (600D), T1i (500D), T2i (550D), XSI (450D), XS (1000D), XTI (400D), XT (350
It would give you the added advantage of being further from the subject.
Otherwise find a F series or earlier 100mm macro (lenses with aperture adjustment on their barrel and put ext tubes/ bellows on it.)
This will give you a greater working distance from your subject.
Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses
Macro Camera Lenses
01-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To achieve this with your 35mm without cropping you would require about 8 diopters of closeup filters. I see you can get a 10 diopter as part of a set but I don't know how good it is. Otherwise it would involve stacking them which is less than ideal.
The close up filters are so cheap it would be silly not to try them. But it may be better if you have say a 55-300 zoom for your camera --- then it may work to put a close up filter on that as they work more effectively on telephoto.
Very soon. The shop I'll buy from just needs to get 72mm filters in.
Oh yes, did I mention that I'll be using a 400mm lens?
It's an old preset, f/6.3, 7m MFD.

Edit: LOLOLOLOL
A +2 diopter already gets me to almost 1:1!

Last edited by Giklab; 01-10-2015 at 04:01 PM.
01-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #37

Original Poster
Presumably you are focussing the DA35 as close as possible-- then that is a 1:1 magnification on your sensor
After cropping your final image is a 1.5 : 1 magnification.
The downsizing to post them here is irrelevant.
Amazon.com : PLR Optics 58MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch For The Canon Digital EOS Rebel SL1 (100D), T5i (700D), T5 (1200D), T4i (650D), T3 (1100D), T3i (600D), T1i (500D), T2i (550D), XSI (450D), XS (1000D), XTI (400D), XT (350
It would give you the added advantage of being further from the subject.
Otherwise find a F series or earlier 100mm macro (lenses with aperture adjustment on their barrel and put ext tubes/ bellows on it.)
This will give you a greater working distance from your subject.
Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses
Macro Camera Lenses
I will try that. Do they make close up filters for the Pentax. I have the zoom and will see what I can find. I have only been experimenting since the end of Dec. So I still have a lot to discover. Found that manual focus and a small tripod were very helpful so far and taking photos of the glass in a mirror has proved promising. It's the light that is so fascinating. It dances all through the glass pieces.
thank you for all your help.
maria

01-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #38
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they make close up filters for the Pentax
It is the filter size that matters. (58mm for 55-300--- 52 mm for 50-200 --49mm for your 35mm)
EDIT ; I have just been kindly informed by photolady95 that the 50-200mm WR has a 49mm filter size so check your lens.
It's the light that is so fascinating. It dances all through the glass pieces.
This is where your creativity kicks in.

Last edited by GUB; 01-25-2015 at 03:42 PM.
01-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #39

Original Poster
It is the filter size that matters. (58mm for 55-300--- 52 mm for 50-200 --49mm for your 35mm)

This is where your creativity kicks in.
I was hoping that was the case I shall order them this evening. Tomorrow I shall clean my mirror and see what a reflection will do to the DOF. Triedstacking a couple using 2 lights and a mirror on a fake ice cube. Will remember to polish cube next time.
maria
Attached Images

01-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #40
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was hoping that was the case I shall order them this evening. Tomorrow I shall clean my mirror and see what a reflection will do to the DOF. Triedstacking a couple using 2 lights and a mirror on a fake ice cube. Will remember to polish cube next time.
maria
Am I right in thinking you would forever be stricken with seeing pictures inside your pictures?

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

I was hoping that was the case I shall order them this evening
Remember that the closeup filters will have a stronger effect on your zoom out at 300 mm.
But that they are so cheap a set for your 35 as well won't break the bank.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Very soon. The shop I'll buy from just needs to get 72mm filters in.
Oh yes, did I mention that I'll be using a 400mm lens?
It's an old preset, f/6.3, 7m MFD.

Edit: LOLOLOLOL
A +2 diopter already gets me to almost 1:1!
And the subject will be so far away it will be in another time zone
Attached Images

01-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #41

Original Poster
Am I right in thinking you would forever be stricken with seeing pictures inside your pictures?

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

Remember that the closeup filters will have a stronger effect on your zoom out at 300 mm.
But that they are so cheap a set for your 35 as well won't break the bank.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:18 PM ----------

And the subject will be so far away it will be in another time zone
Yes, I see all kinds of wonderful scenes, but sometimes just the play of light and the colors are enough. I ordered the 49mm as well as the 58 and should have in hand Tuesday. I am looking forward to experimenting. I spent several months a while back just shooting dead flowers because they had so much color and hidden detail I was intrigued. What fun it all is!
maria
01-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #42
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I see all kinds of wonderful scenes, but sometimes just the play of light and the colors are enough. I ordered the 49mm as well as the 58 and should have in hand Tuesday. I am looking forward to experimenting. I spent several months a while back just shooting dead flowers because they had so much color and hidden detail I was intrigued. What fun it all is!
maria
Yeah the world is so big on the outside and so big on the inside.
01-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #43

Original Poster
Yeah the world is so big on the outside and so big on the inside.
That is so wonderfully true.
maria
01-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #44
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so wonderfully true.
maria
OK you have had a couple of weeks to play with your new toys
Are you having any luck with those close up filters?
01-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #45

Original Poster
Have been experimenting. Having fun with this stuff. I bought some marbles with nicks and scratches on them and have now, finally, found my marbles. Here are a few experiments.
maria

---------- Post added 01-25-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

Could you tell me how to remove my older photos? I hate hogging the space.
maria
Attached Images