Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

zoom lens for macro

Are there any zoom lenses that will work for macro work? I am trying to capture the fissures and cracks in beach glass by reflecting light through them and need to sometimes get closer than my macro 35mm L allows. The areas in the glass I am shooting are quite small but I need to fill the frame with them in order to print them at the size I need.
Thank you
maria

01-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

You can purchase macro filters for just about any lens. They will shorten your minimal focusing distance and allow an up close magnified view. Just check out what size your lens threads are and google close up filters. Sometimes ya gotta do a little research I recommend Marumi DHG Achromat filters..they work well for me !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III  Photo 
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean that you need a higher magnification or have a longer work distance?
01-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Are there any zoom lenses that will work for macro work? I am trying to capture the fissures and cracks in beach glass by reflecting light through them and need to sometimes get closer than my macro 35mm L allows. The areas in the glass I am shooting are quite small but I need to fill the frame with them in order to print them at the size I need.
Thank you
maria
There are no zoom lenses that can offer as much magnification as your 35mm macro. It sounds like you either need to be closer to your subject, or you might be in need of a longer focal length (like the DFA 100mm) so you don't have to be as close for the same magnification.

If you want more than 1:1 (life-size) magnification, look in to macro accessories such as extension tubes or bellows.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would help to know the size of the specimen and the size of the object you are trying to highlight (or some sense of the magnification you need). In addition to the options @adam mentioned you might benefit from reversing the lens which lets you get in real close.
01-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

I believe she is trying to photograph the fissures within the glass and the working distance of the 35mm macro is too short to focus on areas within the glass. In which case a longer focal length lens will give more working distance between the front element and the subject.
01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you
maria
I think you mean a longer focal length lens + more magnification.. DFA 100mm + tubes, TCs or filters is the obvious choice, or you could find a Sigma 150mm or 180mm Macro and fit the aforemented accessories for a longer working distance.

01-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Do you mean that you need a higher magnification or have a longer work distance?
Higher magnification I think. Perhaps I will see if I can hook up the camera to a microscope. The glass is small and the cracks are very small. It is an experiment in catching refracted and reflected light in fractured glass. I probably need to look for larger pieces of glass. Thanks for the information.
maria
01-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

A bellows or extension tubes will give you more magnification, but less working distance.

With the Pentax Auto Bellows A at full extension with a 35mm macro lens (Spiratone Macrotar) I get about 5.6x magnification. With a 25mm enlarger lens I get about 8.4x.
01-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
Here are photos of what I am trying to do. As you can see the glass is small but the abstracts inside can be fascinating.
maria
Attached Images

01-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm, Interesting ..

Might need a little more DOF .. And more light ..
A flash would obviously reflect of the surface , what about a small flashlight ?
put the subject on top of a small flashlight , some filters ( Paper? ) to ease of the amount of light ..
Then the glass will be sitting on top a light source that hopefully will show off the inner ... And allow for a smaller aperture for more DOF ..
Lens stacking might be ideal ..
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Hmmmm, Interesting ..

Might need a little more DOF .. And more light ..
A flash would obviously reflect of the surface , what about a small flashlight ?
put the subject on top of a small flashlight , some filters ( Paper? ) to ease of the amount of light ..
Then the glass will be sitting on top a light source that hopefully will show off the inner ... And allow for a smaller aperture for more DOF ..
Lens stacking might be ideal ..
The glass sits on a lightbox with a LED light shining on it from above as well. I will try to get a bit more DOF this evening when I try a couple of rock crystals I have. They are larger and may work as well. I have also put the glass on a mirror and shone a small flashlight above it. Sometimes I find nice shapes, sometimes not, but the way the light moves through the glass is interesting. It occurred to me that I might be able to see if any glassworkers in the area have some scrap I could use.
Thank you for the suggestions.
maria
01-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It occurred to me that I might be able to see if any glassworkers in the area have some scrap I could use.
I hope you don't mind my trying this out too. My cousin works with fused glass, so getting samples shouldn't be hard. (Finding a space to set up the camera, the time to do it, and stopping the kids from making any vibrations... well that will be the hard part).
01-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I hope you don't mind my trying this out too. My cousin works with fused glass, so getting samples shouldn't be hard. (Finding a space to set up the camera, the time to do it, and stopping the kids from making any vibrations... well that will be the hard part).
Wow, how neat. No, I don't mind at all. I have been trying to develop large abstract photos for a while now and thanks to watching some sunlight glow through an old bottle I began to experiment with bits and pieces of translucent material. Plastic, glass, water, even wrapping paper. Putting the glass on a mirror gives some interesting images too.
Have fun and let me know how it goes.
maria
01-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are photos of what I am trying to do. As you can see the glass is small but the abstracts inside can be fascinating.
maria
Nice work.
persevere.
When you are at that level of magnification you are caught between the tyrants of diffraction and lack of Depth of field.
(if you stop down too much diffraction kicks in.)
This is a rule of physics and all lens would behave similarly.
Bellows would be my call.
And recognize lots must be out of focus and work that into your image.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 12:54 AM ----------

Hang on if she is talking about a DA lens then she is not going to have aperture control on bellows is she ?
Maria you may be better off with an old A or M lens if you need that extra magnification -- they are as cheap as.