Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron 90mm Di SP f2.8 is optically excellent.

01-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I always learn a lot whenever I ask questions to this group. It's easy to get wrapped up in looking at new lenses, but it is enjoyable to weigh out the many options as they relate to my needs. I might just have to step out my Takumar comfort zone this time. It seems I may have found what I'm looking for in the Vivitar 90mm/2.8 (komine made). I like the 1:1 ratio, the f2.8, shortest minumum focus distance of the group at ~6 inches, and the long focus throw, and an affordable price at just over $100 (lenses like the Bokina, or Kiron are probably higher quality but their price is more than I want to pay at the moment). The Tak 100/f4 is easily the most affordable of the group (some listed around $80) but I think the advantage of a 2.8 over a 4 will be worth a few extra bucks since I plan to do most of my shooting outside, handheld, and at close distances (the extra light could be very useful). The only thing that concerned me about the Tamron was the shorter focus throw-I think the longer the throw the better for what I will be doing. Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge.