Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Mechanical Shutter vs Electronic Shutter... ?

So my main stills camera, (a Panasonic GH4), shoots in burst mode at 12 fps, OR 40 fps if you use the electronic shutter. The only apparent drawback in doing this is that it can't shoot raw at that speed, only jpeg. Which is fine for the stuff that I shoot.

However, I'm curious - are there any disadvantages in shooting with the electronic shutter instead of the mechanical one? I.e. are the photos going to look any different? And if not - then why do mechanical shutters still exist, shouldn't everything just be electronic? Less moving parts, no noise, etc?

01-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image quality suffers with an electronic shutter (the "rolling shutter" effect) in case of moving objects as wonderfully illustrated in the Wikipedia article on the subject - note the swept-back rotor:

A mechanical focal plane shutter (like in our DSLRs) can, however, produce a similar, but much less pronounced, effect...

A leaf shutter (in-lens shutter) doesn't exhibit this effect at all.
01-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Image quality suffers with an electronic shutter (the "rolling shutter" effect) in case of moving objects as wonderfully illustrated in the Wikipedia article on the subject - note the swept-back rotor:

A mechanical focal plane shutter (like in our DSLRs) can, however, produce a similar, but much less pronounced, effect...

A leaf shutter (in-lens shutter) doesn't exhibit this effect at all.
Damn, that's actually a really cool photo haha. Ok so what you're saying is that there's an increased likelihood of a rolling shutter effect if you're using an electronic shutter? Is that the only drawback?

EDIT: Thanks for the response btw!
01-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would like to see more examples of f a rolling shutter effect. I am not getting this.

01-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Would like to see more examples of f a rolling shutter effect. I am not getting this.
There are plenty of examples on the web, this page has a decent description and a simple animation of a figure running across a screen near the bottom of the page: Everything You Wanted To Know About Rolling Shutter - DIY Photography

You can get a fan or a record player, or other moving thing and try a few photos for yourself. If you don't have a camera with an electronic shutter, many (probably most) smartphones will also suffer from this rolling shutter effect.

edit- a nice animation here too: https://petapixel.com/2017/06/30/rolling-shutter-effect-works/
01-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I think you get it most with rapid action. Clackers had a couple of examples he posted, I think with bike racing, where the riders looked quite distorted because of this effect. If you are taking photos of a relatively still scene you wouldn't see this.
01-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are taking photos of a relatively still scene you wouldn't see this.
Unless you are hand holding and are a little shaky.