Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 07:52 AM - 25 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Make your SEASCAPES more dynamic...

A recent thread was discussing the white water in ocean shots, specifically when shooting longer exposures to blur the moving water.

There are a few more tricks that we seascape photographers use to emphasize the flow of moving water. Perhaps most important is to shoot the RECEDING water instead of the incoming wave:

As the wave rolls in, the water level is high and forceful. It is not going to get out of the way of those rocks; instead, it passes right over them on a straight path. Your photo of the wave thus appears indistinct. However, after the crash, the water level immediately drops and the white water and foam high up on the beach must now roll back down, following the path of least resistance. THIS is the moment you should be watching for all those little turbulent areas causing streaks and swirls, cascades, and intersecting streams traversing the sand.

To achieve this effect, I use a cable release and MIRROR UP mode. I raise the mirror as the wave is crashing and then release the shutter once the water starts to recede. I make sure my exposure is short enough to finish before the next wave appears in order to isolate only a single wave. When shooting wide angle, this can yield a dynamic foreground effect.

Here are some examples(all are clickable for larger image, EXIF, location, and story):

Beyond The Gate

Martin's Rock (Explore #386)

Four Mile Beach

Pirates in Marin

and lastly, an oldie:
Sharkfin Beach

In my own experience, getting right down in the water, and often getting drenched, helps to put the viewer into the action.

From a compositional standpoint, sometimes this water action can spice up an otherwise dull beach foreground - it can even become the main foreground interest or define a leading line as in this example:

Martin's Beach

Hope that helps!

Mike

PS - no cameras were harmed in the making of these photos...but I tried.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.
01-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Good tips, Mike. And I'd add that motion in the water also aids exposure blending and focus stacking that is the hallmark of digital landscapes these days it seems.
01-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful work as always, Mike, and great tips! Now, if only I could find my way to a beautiful beach.
01-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Mike for the tips.
Your pictures are outstanding.

01-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much for the tips Mike. Awesome photos as well!
01-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
OMG ! I've been doing it wrong the entire time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll try it as soon as the ice melts around here.
01-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
A recent thread was discussing the white water in ocean shots, specifically when shooting longer exposures to blur the moving water.

There are a few more tricks that we seascape photographers use to emphasize the flow of moving water. Perhaps most important is to shoot the RECEDING water instead of the incoming wave:

As the wave rolls in, the water level is high and forceful. It is not going to get out of the way of those rocks; instead, it passes right over them on a straight path. Your photo of the wave thus appears indistinct. However, after the crash, the water level immediately drops and the white water and foam high up on the beach must now roll back down, following the path of least resistance. THIS is the moment you should be watching for all those little turbulent areas causing streaks and swirls, cascades, and intersecting streams traversing the sand.

To achieve this effect, I use a cable release and MIRROR UP mode. I raise the mirror as the wave is crashing and then release the shutter once the water starts to recede. I make sure my exposure is short enough to finish before the next wave appears in order to isolate only a single wave. When shooting wide angle, this can yield a dynamic foreground effect.

Here are some examples:

Beyond The Gate

Martin's Rock (Explore #386)

Four Mile Beach

Pirates in Marin

and lastly, an oldie:
Sharkfin Beach

In my own experience, getting right down in the water, and often getting drenched, helps to put the viewer into the action.

From a compositional standpoint, sometimes this water action can spice up an otherwise dull beach foreground - it can even become the main foreground interest or define a leading line as in this example:

Martin's Beach

Hope that helps!

Mike

PS - no cameras were harmed in the making of these photos...but I tried.
Mike, please excuse my naivete, I don't do long exposures. Does is make a difference if the remote is wireless or wired?

01-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Mike, please excuse my naivete, I don't do long exposures. Does is make a difference if the remote is wireless or wired?
no it does not. in the old days, wired remotes were needed for B exposures, because you could lock the release in place and not have to HOLD the button down. Also, a really LONG wired release would allow you to stand further from the camera. My IR remotes only have a range of about 4 feet, whereas I have a 6 foot cable release that I've needed a few times to keep me dry(ier?). I don't mind planting my tripod in a foot or soo of water, but it's a LONG walk back to the car with wet pants if I stand in a foot of water.
01-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree with nomadking that an IR remote is ok too...

That said, I've lost all my little Pentax IR releases at beaches because they are so easy to drop. Also, not all cameras will detect an IR beam from the back which is most likely where you will be standing. At the end of the day, i just like the firm click of the wired release so I know my timing was right.

Also, if you normally use your camera with the 2sec timer mode, be sure to turn that off or you will come home with a bunch of images that were captured exactly 2 seconds AFTER you meant to capture them, haha.

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
OMG ! I've been doing it wrong the entire time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll try it as soon as the ice melts around here.
ice!? oh boy.

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ut12 Quote
Thank you so much for the tips Mike. Awesome photos as well!
you're welcome and thanks!

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Thank you Mike for the tips.
Your pictures are outstanding.
thx!!

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Beautiful work as always, Mike, and great tips! Now, if only I could find my way to a beautiful beach.
thanks!
works at waterfalls and flowing rivers too.

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Good tips, Mike. And I'd add that motion in the water also aids exposure blending and focus stacking that is the hallmark of digital landscapes these days it seems.
cool!

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 10:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nice shots! They definitely make me miss living in SF. Do you have anything taken out by the Sutro baths? Lots of interesting shapes in the surf out there...
agreed and though I've been to Sutro Baths handful of times, the conditions have not been too favorable for me (blank skies or fog). I should try again soon.
01-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Excellent images, thanks for the tips...I hope to visit Cornwall again soon, considering I have in-laws there, I don't visit often enough..these tips will really help
01-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are one of my most favorite photographers. The images are outstanding and I will try to emulate on my Oregon coast soon. Thanks for the tips.
01-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It goes without saying that the ocean is a dangerous place. At two of the above shoots, I've had mishaps: 1)got hit by a wave and dragged in - had to be rescued by a bystander, and 2)lost handhold on a short cliff and fell, breaking a toe. Please, use caution and watch the distant swells so you know when to grab gear and RUN!

a couple from the blooper reel when Neptune lashed out:

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 10:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Excellent images, thanks for the tips...I hope to visit Cornwall again soon, considering I have in-laws there, I don't visit often enough..these tips will really help
That is a place I would love to go someday. Be sure to share pics when you go next.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-14-2015 at 12:14 PM.
01-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

Nice Advice

Mike, nice advice and tip. Curious, in your experience, are there any general guidelines for how long the exposure should be for some of ghosting effect of the retreating water?

And how different will that be for streams/waterfalls?
01-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
You are one of my most favorite photographers. The images are outstanding and I will try to emulate on my Oregon coast soon. Thanks for the tips.
so nice of you to say - thanks!
Oregon coast is perfect for great rock structures on the beach (seastacks, arches, monoliths)

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 10:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote
Mike, nice advice and tip. Curious, in your experience, are there any general guidelines for how long the exposure should be for some of ghosting effect of the retreating water?

And how different will that be for streams/waterfalls?
depends on speed of the moving water and also your focal length. I like to pick my spot and then watch while counting how long it takes the water to move where i want it to go, then adjust camera accordingly, sometimes even adding an ND filter if the scene is too bright for a slow shutter. TAv mode is excellent for wave shooting.

Pretty much from a 1/2sec for plenty of wave definition, up to about 8sec for long streaks works well for me. Any longer and you get more of the soft smooth water look - something I also really like, but creates a totally different effect.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-14-2015 at 11:56 AM.
01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, These tips are much appreciated. Thank you for sharing your experience and your lovely photos. I could sit staring at those on the wall all day long.