Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #1

Simple slide copy technique?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have well over a thousand slides that I would like to convert to digital if possible.
I purchased a small slide viewer and have a macro lens. If anyone has attempted this feat before, please chime in and help when you have time. Thank you all. schmally

05-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Fiddle around with it until you figure out what works.
The biggest problem you will have is getting things aligned correctly. The slide needs to be as close to perfectly parallel to the sensor as possible.
You might want to take the lens out of the slide viewer too....

I made a Q&D slide duplicator from ax X-Ray viewer, a 4x5 film box, some black paper from a background roll and lots of black masking tape. I put the thing on my copy stand to keep things level. It worked well enough that I was able to copy a few thousand slides for a customer very quickly and very high quality
05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have done this with a light table and a 100mm macro lens. The results were actually pretty good, but of course it is labor intensive. I don't know if I would want to do that for a thousand or more. I only did hundred or so - Medium format and 35mm. Here are some samples from what they looked like:

Zoto 3.0 - Photo Sharing

and 1 sample here:

05-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the IQ loss in digital, but would one of the old M42 Pentax Bellows, an M42 adapter and the slide copier work? They tend to go for $50 brand new-in-box on auction sites. There is a set bid $64 right now 5 hours to go.

Also just saw a K-Series copipod bid 99c - I almost bid on it but I have no use - 49mm lens mount.

Try this ebay search:

Pentax bellows, copipod, Film Camera Accessories, Lenses Filters items on eBay.com

05-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know the IQ loss in digital, but would one of the old M42 Pentax Bellows, an M42 adapter and the slide copier work?[/URL]
I have a bellows and a copier for K-mount and it seems that you need a lens around 75mm to get the whole 35mm frame copied. I use M75-150 zoom for that purpose.
Otherwise it works ok.
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solisti Quote
I have a bellows and a copier for K-mount and it seems that you need a lens around 75mm to get the whole 35mm frame copied. I use M75-150 zoom for that purpose.
Otherwise it works ok.
Even with the 1.5x crop factor? You can get the full-frame slide?

If so, that's the way I'll go. I have an ancient Vivitar dual-rail bellows system that takes a T-mount Pentax bayonet adapter. Just haven't figured out how to get around the crop factor. I assume the 77 Limited would be close enough in focal length?
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Honestly, if you have that many slides to convert I would recommend you buy a scanner with a film/slide tray built into it. You'll get better results in far less time doing so.

I heartily recommend the CanoScan 4400F or 8800F scanners.* I have the 4400F myself ($89 on Amazon) as I don't do a massive amount of scanning but wanted good quality and it delivers in spades. The 8800F ($175 on Amazon) has all the bells and whistles and is made for more heavier use.

* There's gotta be some kharmic dissonance from using a Canikon product to scan Pentax images but whatcha gonna do?