Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you. The desaturation of his face/body is done in post through Bleach bypass in Colorefx Pro through Lightroom. In order to maintain contrast on the talent a fan should be used to keep the haze away or in back of the talent. Haze acts as a huge diffuser and will suck contrast from anything placed behind haze. I have attached a photo of a young dancer who wanted some publicity photos. I wanted the haze to wrap around her and as you can see the areas where I allowed the haze to intrude between the talent and my lens contains less contrast than those areas where I kept the haze from creeping between the lens and the talent. I was using a studio fan to control it. It all depends on what affect you want in your image to create the mood you're after. The accent light behind her is a Fresnel lens with a multi circle gobo to create the light rays. I've written a short article on how I achieved this and you can read that here. And again in her image I did desaturate it because it fit the mood.

Light is the major factor I always consider when approaching a session. What mood do I want to create and how will my light help support that mood? I find so many people get stuck on camera gear, brands, speed, etc. Concentrating on light and engaging the talent is for me the most important aspect of portraiture. Whenever I look upon a portrait I know that how the talent appears is a direct result of the photographer's ability or inability to engage the talent. I hold photographers completely responsible for the mood of the person in that instant. It's not our job to simply press the shutter and control the light. Most of those things can be altered in post if one has the skills. But changing an expression, well that can't be done effectively and even if it could it is certainly not authentic, at least not in my world. Take care and keep improving. Stay away from those who are negative, they won't help you to become better. Work with people who will give you candid feedback without trying to put you down. In almost all cases, those same people don't produce bodies of work that is much to admire.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo