Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 01:11 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to improve your photographic creations

I've written a brief article. Although I use a 645Z for some of the shots it's NOT about gear, but about technique. You can find it HERE

01-24-2015, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Great Article, thx for sharing.
01-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

I tried to read it but there's about 100 characters per line so it's difficult to get through on a small device. Still, I read your forum and gear rant in the first paragraph, complaining about motorcycle students in the second paragraph, clients questioning your method in the third paragraph, and you sound like Rodney Dangerfield who also "got no respect." So I stopped reading and just scrolled down to the pictures because you indicated that this article would help photographers. Looks like movie still-shots taken on a set, not something I'd hang on my wall. There was nothing in this article that interested me as a photographer. Good luck getting on with the rest of your students and clients.
01-24-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

THANK YOU. THANK YOU! and THANK YOU! for writing an article about techniques!!!! Keep em coming. This is what I am after. 110%.

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 08:53 AM ----------

I need more of this type article!!

Lighting is my Achilles heel, particularly in the wild...in the 'streets' without all the big studio set up...An article on how to look for and identify pockets of 'good light' would help me a whole lot... (hint hint).

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

A quick question to the OP... a couple of times you talk about 'blowing light' to darken it...

On the second to the last picture for example "Just behind Greg is a parking lot FULL of trucks. Solution? Blow light through the arch to blacken that problem"

What exactly do you mean 'blow light' and how is this accomplished?

01-24-2015, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

very nice article indeed. what about the used technique with the dancers pics ..amazing
01-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
THANK YOU. THANK YOU! and THANK YOU! for writing an article about techniques!!!! Keep em coming. This is what I am after. 110%.

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 08:53 AM ----------

I need more of this type article!!

Lighting is my Achilles heel, particularly in the wild...in the 'streets' without all the big studio set up...An article on how to look for and identify pockets of 'good light' would help me a whole lot... (hint hint).

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

A quick question to the OP... a couple of times you talk about 'blowing light' to darken it...

On the second to the last picture for example "Just behind Greg is a parking lot FULL of trucks. Solution? Blow light through the arch to blacken that problem"

What exactly do you mean 'blow light' and how is this accomplished?
alamo5000 by using a strobe directly behind Greg I was able to 'black out' the parking lot behind him because the light 'tricked' the meter into underexposing that area. It's the very same technique I used to 'darken' the office behind the door where he was exiting from with his prop lantern. You can try this to some extent yourself using an off camera flash unit. Place something or someone in a doorway and place the flash directly behind the object/person. Meter for the room you're in and then fire your camera. Depending on the strength of your flash unit and what you've set it on (No TTL for this experiment) you will notice that the area behind the person is very dark.
01-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pursang Quote
alamo5000 by using a strobe directly behind Greg I was able to 'black out' the parking lot behind him because the light 'tricked' the meter into underexposing that area. It's the very same technique I used to 'darken' the office behind the door where he was exiting from with his prop lantern. You can try this to some extent yourself using an off camera flash unit. Place something or someone in a doorway and place the flash directly behind the object/person. Meter for the room you're in and then fire your camera. Depending on the strength of your flash unit and what you've set it on (No TTL for this experiment) you will notice that the area behind the person is very dark.

It seems counter intuitive. If you are adding that much light to something it seems like it would blow it out not darken it...I assume the strobe is facing away into the doorway... I will test a little and do some experiments and report back.

I have a cactus set and a single flash so we will see.

01-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems counter intuitive. If you are adding that much light to something it seems like it would blow it out not darken it...I assume the strobe is facing away into the doorway... I will test a little and do some experiments and report back.

I have a cactus set and a single flash so we will see.
No the strobe was directly at Greg's back NOT into the parking lot or office.
01-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

No the strobe was directly at Greg's back NOT into the parking lot or office.
I did a quick informal test just now and I got it to work (marginally) but not as good as yours. Here are my observations. I found out through testing (my first shot) that it had to be pointed in towards the subject. (Back in towards the camera) In my case I aimed it up towards the ceiling more.

I also found out that I had to play with shutter speeds and apertures and a whole lot of exposure stuff to get it to work, but even then my 'background' was either still too bright and/or close. I finally got it to work where the background was a quite a bit darker.

My area I was shooting into was in my living room. Low white ceilings. I pulled a big recliner chair in front of a open doorway and tried to have even light in the front and blacken out the adjacent room. Possibly I need to pull the chair farther from the entrance?

Don't get me wrong, it did work in my 3 minute test, the results were very noticeable but they were not as stark as yours. The other room had sunlight blazing in a window so I think that might have something to do with it.

All that said I was able to get a fairly decent effect with various shutter speeds and apertures as is. I will have to play with it a bit more later.

I just wonder if I need a second flash because most of my foreground lighting was coming from the bounce off the ceiling.

It will be something I have to play with a little bit more... but its already given me a ton of ideas
01-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did a quick informal test just now and I got it to work (marginally) but not as good as yours. Here are my observations. I found out through testing (my first shot) that it had to be pointed in towards the subject. (Back in towards the camera) In my case I aimed it up towards the ceiling more.

I also found out that I had to play with shutter speeds and apertures and a whole lot of exposure stuff to get it to work, but even then my 'background' was either still too bright and/or close. I finally got it to work where the background was a quite a bit darker.

My area I was shooting into was in my living room. Low white ceilings. I pulled a big recliner chair in front of a open doorway and tried to have even light in the front and blacken out the adjacent room. Possibly I need to pull the chair farther from the entrance?

Don't get me wrong, it did work in my 3 minute test, the results were very noticeable but they were not as stark as yours. The other room had sunlight blazing in a window so I think that might have something to do with it.

All that said I was able to get a fairly decent effect with various shutter speeds and apertures as is. I will have to play with it a bit more later.

I just wonder if I need a second flash because most of my foreground lighting was coming from the bounce off the ceiling.

It will be something I have to play with a little bit more... but its already given me a ton of ideas
Keep in mind that I was using a studio strobe, not a hand held flash unit. In addition I didn't have walls/furniture/ceilings/etc. to deal with. If I had those elements I may have used a negative reflector to negate their effect. And yes as I had mentioned the flash/strobe should be placed BEHIND the talent and facing them, toward the camera. It was simply a method I used to eliminate light behind the talent. Glad you got some new ideas. Take care.
01-27-2015, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #11

This was a great article to read. I am a new fan!!!
02-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great article, Amazing photos too I might say!
02-10-2015, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was recently hired to do some portraits of MMA and traditional martial artists. Using haze and three strobes gave me this effect using the Z with a FA150mm f2.8 at f10
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
03-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great compositions, very impressive stuff, the nudes were truly exquisite.
03-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was recently hired to do some portraits of MMA and traditional martial artists. Using haze and three strobes gave me this effect using the Z with a FA150mm f2.8 at f10

Firstly, thank you so much for pausing to share your writing and techniques with us as a group. I agree, the nudes are fascinating beautiful. The water trails add a lyrical feeling of motion.

I'm curious, since you do so much with light, was the washing of color from the martial artist's face done via flash and haze or something in post? It's a gripping photo. The effect is striking.

As a more casual photographer, I doubt if I develop to your level of skill, but reading your thoughts and experiences is a great insight for me. Inspiring.