Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pixel Peeping Syndrom

You know, I've been observing and thinking about the stuff I have shot with my Canon 10D, Canon 20D, Canon 1Ds Mkll and my Pentax K10D's and K20D's.

I JUST DON'T SEE ANY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANY OF THEM WHEN PRINTED TO A LARGER THAN STANDARD MAGAZINE FORMAT!!! Perhaps color nuance and some grain differences when I shot at 400 or 800 iso.

I have been published with all of the above camera's. All of the magazine's I have been published in are very high grade Trendy Press book quality magazines. The output out of all of the above camera's were more than adequate for my needs.

My point is this. In terms of resolving power and for most support that most of us would imagine being published in, the Pentax K10D, K20D, K100D and K200D would suffice.

In fact my last shoot I did for "Spring Mag" with the K20D was over kill considering the size of the support i.e. about 8x10 inches. In fact I had to reduce the image size to get down to 300 dpi for Pre Press. I would have been quite comfortable with the K10D. The only grain I see when published with the K10D in double page landscape format is the "tram" grain of the printing of around 133 dpi.

Why do I bring all of this up...Pixel Peeping is totally a waste of time.

Go out and enjoy your toy and use it to express who and what you are.

That's All...

Ben

05-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You know, I've been observing and thinking about the stuff I have shot with my Canon 10D, Canon 20D, Canon 1Ds Mkll and my Pentax K10D's and K20D's.

I JUST DON'T SEE ANY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANY OF THEM WHEN PRINTED TO A LARGER THAN STANDARD MAGAZINE FORMAT!!! Perhaps color nuance and some grain differences when I shot at 400 or 800 iso.

I have been published with all of the above camera's. All of the magazine's I have been published in are very high grade Trendy Press book quality magazines. The output out of all of the above camera's were more than adequate for my needs.

My point is this. In terms of resolving power and for most support that most of us would imagine being published in, the Pentax K10D, K20D, K100D and K200D would suffice.

In fact my last shoot I did for "Spring Mag" with the K20D was over kill considering the size of the support i.e. about 8x10 inches. In fact I had to reduce the image size to get down to 300 dpi for Pre Press. I would have been quite comfortable with the K10D. The only grain I see when published with the K10D in double page landscape format is the "tram" grain of the printing of around 133 dpi.

Why do I bring all of this up...Pixel Peeping is totally a waste of time.

Go out and enjoy your toy and use it to express who and what you are.

That's All...

Ben
Agree 100%!
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have always said the same thing. There is no use pixel peeping unless your into just the tech part of the camera only. (Kind of like our friend RH) The real differences are so minute you could never really see them in print or on screen.

I agree 100% with Ben when he said go out and enjoy the toy.

Creativity is yours saith the camera.
05-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

bravo!

Well said!

05-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So totally true. Very well said.
05-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I couldn't be bothered Pixel-peeping at all ... I just don't have the time.
I have printed off many shots I have taken of my neices for relatives through my average inkjet printer at home (printing at A4 size) ... it's a cheap way to print for me ... and the images from my K10D have been great (even shots with the kit lens).

Really ... at the end of the day ... if relatives are impressed with the images I take ... I don't see the need to pixel peep really.
05-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You are so right about this, Ben. When the images are printed, it is just so hard to discern any difference in images coming out of these cameras with naked eyes.

05-29-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How very true!!
05-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Kudos!

I will do so as soon as the weekend comes along.
05-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks alot Ben! Another hobby shot in the arse! Just kidding.

Life's just to short to get wrapped around the axle about this issue.
05-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does this mean we have permission to work on our skills as photographers?
05-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One thing I'd say about this: the term "pixel peeping" is ambiguous; everyone seems to use it in different way. To some it means obsessive lens testing. To others it means extensive work in an image editor. And to many it appears to mean even the most rudimentary software corrections. People write "no PP" when they mean no software editing.

It's a useless term. And it reminds me of Queen bragging "no synthesizers" on the cover of "Night At The Opera". On which album they had used every piece of studio trickery imaginable on both their guitars and voices. In other words, it's a hollow boast born out of defensiveness.

But I take your point and respect your opinion as someone who has a lot more experience than me. I have hardly done any printing. Though that will change, my world is one mediated by the screen.
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome point Ben.
'Pixel peepers' make life more interesting and challenge our thoughts. But real world stuff is what really matters.

Great testimony for the Pentax cams, comparing them to the pro Canons! Now how does one take photos like a pro?
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
One thing I'd say about this: the term "pixel peeping" is ambiguous; everyone seems to use it in different way. To some it means obsessive lens testing. To others it means extensive work in an image editor. And to many it appears to mean even the most rudimentary software corrections. People write "no PP" when they mean no software editing.

It's a useless term. And it reminds me of Queen bragging "no synthesizers" on the cover of "Night At The Opera". On which album they had used every piece of studio trickery imaginable on both their guitars and voices. In other words, it's a hollow boast born out of defensiveness.

But I take your point and respect your opinion as someone who has a lot more experience than me. I have hardly done any printing. Though that will change, my world is one mediated by the screen.
To me, pixel peeping is looking at the image magnified 100% and trying to see how sharp it is, its resolving power etc.

PP I think stands for "Post Processing" - doesn't have much to do with pixel peeping.
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right on Ben!