Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

Sometimes, life just sucks.

So, I was pulling into the parking lot at work today (in my minivan). I'm somewhat distracted because I'm worried about my finals on Monday, so I don't notice that the car in the slot next to mine (this is a rental parking lot) is a bit farther out than it should be. So there I am, pulling left into my spot, when I hear a scraping noise. I immediately smash on the brake and pull out, then park properly so I can get a better look. At first glance, it looks bad. Really bad. Scratches all up and down along the left rear wheel well. The lady who owns the car is just coming out to it. Thankfully, she was very nice about it, especially when I leaned down for a closer look and saw that most of what I thought was scraped paint was really just mud transferred off my bumper. But, I'm still left with probably having to pay for a square inch of paint. However, the lady said she might decide to just leave it.

I'm really hoping here. I was hoping to save this summer for a K10D or K200D, and that's looking less and less likely all the time. Please, please, please, please, please.

05-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sucks. Hang in there.
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Having had moments like this, I feel for ya. While dating this one girl, I totalled two cars going to/from activities with her (thankfully, she didn't see either one)-- it was definitely a sign. I hope the lady continues to be understanding. Best of luck!
05-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep.

Still, it could've been worse...you could have scraped the lady as she was getting out!

I assume you swapped insurance info; if so, and you have her address, mail her a nice apology-type card. Might help her decide it isn't worth reporting the paint rash incident to her insurance company, either. Best of luck!

05-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

At work one day, I watched as a driver from another company backed his truck on the grounds of our warehouse and smashed it into a car.

Our company is large enough and has enough trucks of our own that the insurance company we use keeps a person on-site, coming to work in our offices every day.

Guess who the car belonged to?
05-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hang on in there, Mike. If the lady is nice enough, you'll get away clean. (hopefully you will)

@Mike - That made me chuckle.
05-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To OP - hey if you're both single this could be the begining of something - AFTER the EXAMS.

Good luck on Monday.

05-29-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What? No photos?
05-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good luck and I agree with the maybe sending a card with I am very sorry note. Can't hurt good luck I hope you did well on the final!
05-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would definitely offer the lady something for her consideration. Even as someone posted before a thank you note explaining your appreciation. Regardless of how small the scratch is, it still diminished the value of her car