Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Support Pentax!

I know this is a bit lame but there's a post on Engadget (the most popular blog on the internet (literally) for anyone who somehow has never been there) where someone has asked 'what is the best low end DSLR'... anyway I thought I'd make people here aware so you can shout out for Pentax... if you like. I have.

Post is here: Ask Engadget: What's the best entry-level DSLR? - Engadget

05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With all the Canikon fanboys roaming about, I doubt Pentax fanboys will have any luck getting a word in without being pummelled.
05-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Okay, I voted (sorta). I told him to go try them all and pick one. I did tell him why I used Pentax, though.
05-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
to vote? I would, to write? comon, there is couple hundred replies allready, do you think anybody would be bothered to read all? and anyway, Canikons are allready established there because of how "great" D60 and EOS450 are....
so, sorry but I won't take part...

05-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't mind taking a few minutes and I think it's worth getting a comment or 2 in there. Here's what I added to the site:

I would suggest the Pentax K200D. I offers the sensor with enhanced features of the award winning Pentax K10D body. Capable of professional grade photos with the 10.2 Mp sensor and a feature that isn't offered by either Canon or Nikon. SR. Pentax DSLR's have Shake reduction in the body which allows any lens to have the advantage of anti shake without buying the most expensive glass in the line. Pentax continued to support the mounts from all their old lenses, so you can buy relatively cheap used glass (including all the old M42 screw-mounts - needs a $25 adapter) and use them on the new body. A great way to build a cheap and excellent kit. Pentax has sold more than 24 million lenses in it's long history and every one of them will work on this body. Plus a whole host of similar lenses from other suppliers. You could easily get a 28mm f2.8 lens for under $50 that works fine and has anti-shake as an example. No other manufacturer can boast this inexpensive way to get started.

Wireless flash control is another great feature they include in the entry level body. This is a great feature for someone wanting to do some better quality flash shooting.
Other features:
* large Hi res and bright 2.7" LCD with top LCD that shows major functions.
*in body dust removal system with dust alert system ( a must have)
* available extra grip with extra battery compartment and body control buttons with storage.
* P&S style settings as well as fully manual and auto assisted settings. Easy transition from the P&S upgrade for new users and advanced amateurs
*Water resistant body with 60 weather seals
* High-rigidity stainless-steel chassis
* Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering to accommodate various photographic applications
* 22 custom functions to personalize camera operations
* Approximately 1100 images can be taken when using AA size lithium batteries due to its energy saving design
* Compatibility with conventional SD and large-capacity SDHC memory cards
* Simultaneous recording of RAW- and JPEG-format images
* RAW button for single-action image-file switching
* Eight digital filters for creative and artistic expressions
* In-body development of recorded RAW-format images
* Compatibility with SDM equipped lenses for quiet, extra-smooth autofocus operation

This is a well thought out body that is well worth serious consideration. It's been well reviewed and should be checked out before putting your money on the counter.
06-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm sorry i CANNOT support Pentax as a low end DSLR
06-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Clicker beat me to it, anyone who has held a Canon Rebel and a Pentax knows that Pentax doesn't make low end cameras.

06-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I'm sorry i CANNOT support Pentax as a low end DSLR
Word. [This is to fill the 10 character minimum quota]