Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bronica RF645

The Bronica RF645 is a wonderful medium format rangefinder camera.

Do any of you forum members have one of these, or am I the only one?

Chris

05-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Bronica ETRSi 645 system. Too bad the choice of Digital Backs are almost NULL. Otherwise, great system.

Ben
05-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #3

The Bronica RF645 is a wonderful medium format rangefinder camera

I couldn't agree more. I have most of the system - body, 45, 65 and 100mm lenses and flash - absolute joy to use. Pity I could only afford it because Bronica went bust and the remaining stock was available at more or less half price in the UK.

Last edited by Talisker; 05-30-2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: typo
05-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have only the 65mm lens, and it is wonderful.
The dedicated flash is great, too.

Chris

06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm buying one in the next week or so!!! Kit with the 65mm to start. First MF, can't wait!
06-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Bronica RF645 is a wonderful medium format rangefinder camera.

Do any of you forum members have one of these, or am I the only one?

Chris
Chris, I had that camera for review, when it was released, years back. At that time I found it a joy to use, producing excellent results. But in my eyes it has one major design flaw: When you hold it as intended it shoots in portrait format, instead of the usual landscape format. For me that meant, going for Mamiya instead with the small MF system.

Ben
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
But in my eyes it has one major design flaw: When you hold it as intended it shoots in portrait format, instead of the usual landscape format. .

Ben
I've never looked on that as a flaw - its just the way it is. They could have come up with some wierd and wonderful body design to give it a 'native' landscape format but it cost enough as it was. I'm normally in contemplative mode when I'm using rangefinders so I don't mind adding another step to the process for most of the shots...

06-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
I've never looked on that as a flaw - its just the way it is. They could have come up with some wierd and wonderful body design to give it a 'native' landscape format but it cost enough as it was. I'm normally in contemplative mode when I'm using rangefinders so I don't mind adding another step to the process for most of the shots...

Neil, I can fully understand. It is really a personal thing. As I take most shots in landscape orientation, I found the RF645 just inconvenient to use. Perhaps it would have been better, if they had provided a shutter release on the right side (like those on battery grips for vertical shooting on 35mm cameras...)

I likes the camera very much, it really felt good - apart from the orientation, which was my decisive point.

Ben
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the nature of the beast. Only SLRs have native landscape orientation in 645, and all 645 SLRS are big, heavy, and noisy.
The RF design allows for a compact, slick-handling package. In use it is very much like a medium to large 35mm SLR.

I too had my doubts but was soon won over by the RF645's charms. I now find the portrait orientation an asset.
Most of us don't take near enough verticals. And I soon got used to using the Bronica for horizontal shots.
It's really no harder than shooting a vertical with the average 35mm SLR.

Chris
06-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I received mine about a week and a half ago. Took it to Chicago for the weekend and shot 6 rolls(2 slides, 2 color print, 2 B&W). All I can say is WOW! what an awesome little camera. So Light and easy to handle. The meter was as close to perfect as I could expect, only blowing highlights on a few frames. I brought my K10D as well, but never took it out of the bag.

At first I wasn't sure about it, mainly because it was my first time using a rangefinder, but after that first roll, I was in love. I actually like the portrait orientation and find that holding it in landscape is easier than holding most cameras in portrait... if that makes sense. As a matter of fact I bought this camera almost exclusively for landscapes, which I think it will do an amazing job at. I was surprised to find that it makes a great walk around camera too. So yeah... It rocks!

You can see some reduced size scans here. More to come when I get more time to scan them.