Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First Review of the Venus 60mm f/2.8, 2:1 Macro Lens

The reviewer uses a K-30 for his test shots. It seems the only down side to this lens is the lack of auto aperture control, so you have to shoot TTL at whatever aperture is selected.

02-03-2015, 04:00 AM   #2

Looks promising, thanks for linking the vid!
02-03-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good, nice that Pentaxians now have a 2:1 macro lens available! Too bad it is fully manual K-mount. I wonder why, I mean even Samyang adds A-setting on aperture. Why not at least add an aperture lever? But still, its not too bad. With a fully manual K-mount, you can switch to Av and the camera will continuously meter as you adjust aperture by hand. But this would have been a big advantage against using our current macro lenses with bellows or extension tubes to achieve the same magnification.
02-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Looks good, nice that Pentaxians now have a 2:1 macro lens available! Too bad it is fully manual K-mount. I wonder why, I mean even Samyang adds A-setting on aperture. Why not at least add an aperture lever? But still, its not too bad. With a fully manual K-mount, you can switch to Av and the camera will continuously meter as you adjust aperture by hand. But this would have been a big advantage against using our current macro lenses with bellows or extension tubes to achieve the same magnification.
Not really, unless newer Pentax cameras work differently. If I set a manual lens to Av on my K20D, it will always work wide open only. Which works well for some of my lenses depending on what I want to do, but on a super-macro will not be very useful.

02-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

Noted here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/287672-thom...eo-review.html

and here along with discussion and links to other reviews and sample photos:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/284949-ultra-macro-pentax-mount.html
02-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Not really, unless newer Pentax cameras work differently. If I set a manual lens to Av on my K20D, it will always work wide open only.
That's with a manual bayonet lens WITH an aperture lever. An m42 (in manual mode) or a K lens with no lever will stop down as you turn the ring always (because it isn't connected to anything), so you can use Av mode. (Some EV comp is needed often though as you stop down.) So this Venus with its 16 blades surely has no lever -- I'm sure they basically made it like a t-mount so they could easily attach the different mounts. I'd get in m42 if they had it to make it more easily portable, but K is good enough. If it didn't have all those blades, I'd say ok, I have enough macro lenses, but I'm a sucker for those always circular apertures. (I love old presets with many blades.) So I think I will have to have it...
02-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not really, unless newer Pentax cameras work differently. If I set a manual lens to Av on my K20D, it will always work wide open only. Which works well for some of my lenses depending on what I want to do, but on a super-macro will not be very useful.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If it didn't have all those blades, I'd say ok, I have enough macro lenses, but I'm a sucker for those always circular apertures. (I love old presets with many blades.) So I think I will have to have it...
Yep, this lens is basically a preset lens. The aperture can never be stopped down by the camera, so Av mode is the best to use. Switch aperture wide open to focus, then close it until you get the shutter speed, ISO, or DoF that you want. Or you can use M mode and green button, I think, in case you don't want auto-metering. This lens is more manual than M series lenses.

What I find really exciting is that China is working on lenses now. We had it with Horus Bennu 50mm for K-mount, the Yongnuo lens for Canon (which I wouldn't mind seeing in K-mount. Shouldn't be too difficult, similar registration distance),.. (Mitakon as well?) But still, China is a powerhouse when it comes to production. So far it couldn't compete in the camera market very well because these are highly technological products. But now China is developing the technology, coupled with cheap labour, it could mean that traditional lens manufacturers, Canikon, Pentax, Zeiss, etc. will have a difficult new rival. the Korean Samyang's advantage might soon disappear, as well.

02-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh I thought it was K-mount. My bad.
02-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It is, but no contacts, no aperture lever. Look at the review, you can see the back of the lens for a second. It fits straight onto K-mount bayonet, but it has no mechanical connection to the camera
02-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

I would treat the examples on the Venus website with suspicion based on the EXIF data in them.

This flikr album has 8 samples taken with the Venus. Only JPEGs are available but the full EXIF data is there. The rest of the photos appear to be taken with various Canon lenses. You can compare the results between the lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orionmystery/
02-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Noted here Thomas Shahan Venus macro video review!

Thanks. I looked for it in the macro subforum before posting but couldn't find it.

The easiest way to imagine it is like an m42 lens with a K mount adapter permanently affixed to it.