Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to deglass a Vivitar TC?

Just got on to use as an extension tube. Where do I start?

02-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does the glass screw out? It does on many TCs.
02-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A small ball-peen hammer does the trick for filters. It would probably work for the TC. It's also fun to smash things.
02-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lenses will be held with a ring that has two notches on opposite sides.
Use a flat screwdriver in one of the slots, hold it at an angle and tap it with a small hammer.
You want to unscrew that retainer ring.
Once you remove it the lenses should just fall out.
Some TCs have rings on both sides and you may have to remove both.

( A tool called a spanner wrench is made for this but not worth buying if this is the only time you will need it. )

02-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on which TC. The only ones I have encountered that are reasonable to de-glass (i.e., no hammer required, reversible) are 2x units. As Larry says, look for the ring with little notches. A lens spanner is best for unscrewing the ring but the screwdriver method works in a pinch. It's easy for the screwdriver to slip, though, which can result in scratching some part of the TC (probably not the glass).

Other TCs I've looked at with this in mind seem to be glued together.
02-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any glass will fall apart when drilled with an electric tool. Even tempered glass explodes. So the ball peen hammer is more force than required. Of course a spanner works better. Architects caliper dividers with a locking screw feature have steel points that might engage the retainer rings.
02-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this thread! I'm glad I read it. I have a 2x Promaster TC that I never use - I don't take too many "long" shots, and the TC just degrades the IQ, anyway, so I'd always kept it around thinking I'd take the glass out and make it an auto K-mount extension tube. Never looked into doing it until I coincidentally read this thread. Spanner slots were right there! I unscrewed the smaller ring (two rings had slots) and one piece of glass fell out. A gentle tap from the other side knocked the rest of the assembly out in a neat stack. I wrapped some scotch tape around it in case I ever want to put it back in, but I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it a lot more as an extension tube! :-D

Cheers!

02-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Carefully removing the glass? That's no fun. Hammer all the way!
02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you so much to all, especially Crewl1! I had searched this previously, and tried to follow other instructions, and had worked with wrenches and all kinds of things. The way Crewl1 worded it made it clear for me, and it worked! My Quantaray 2x teleconverter had two rings with the two notches that he described. I took a screwdriver and small hammer as he described, and was done in just a few minutes. Thanks!
02-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it worked for y'all. Enjoy your tubes!