Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow factor, are some of these overdone?

TAHOE | Light - neillockhart

They look great, I like them al lot. What are your thoughts on the PP on these?

02-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I find PP a bit of a hit & miss, but then I'm not a fan of oversaturation & oversharpening. Where it amplifies the natural* lighting it looks good, where it doesn't it looks like a drawing**.

* - natural is maybe too strong a limitation, let's say 'physically possible'
** - which is fine if that's what you're going for
02-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The photographer has a good light painting technique for sure and it is very good at long exposure photography. The sharpness comes from long exposure technique... I do not think that he oversharpened the pictures. I do not know what camera he used but if he used high MPX camera with high resolution lenses i.e. Nikon D810 with Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art or 50mm Art then the results will be like this... Saturation and Vibrancy is personal taste but I bet if you print those it will look great. Just my 2c.
02-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i like a little surrealism in my photos, but these are a bit beyond my own limits and i do not find them pleasing.

02-11-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The orange overdone/blown saturation seems quite distracting to me.
the rest of the shot is great.
02-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ruined some good pictures! They may look good as wall art in an appropriate setting but as 'photographs' they don't look right.
02-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

LSD post processing.
02-11-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
too intense in majority of cases - maybe one that I would accept myself as a good PP - other than that overdone by more or less.

02-11-2015, 03:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too saturated for my taste but otherwise could be great if toned down. The fourth one had a small bright square on the left side, probably a sign of some sort. In a heavily processed image, I thought this distraction would have been removed.
02-11-2015, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The black and white one has too much contrast and too many added gradients. But generally, photography is moving into this direction. Even back in film days some photographers published very saturated and contrasty photos. Now in the digital world, this is more and more popular. I suspect a large part of this is that we all see hundreds of images and photos every day, and the only way a photographer can make viewers notice and click his photo is if the thumbnail and photo are very vibrant, contrasty, so they jump out of the screen at the viewer.
I enjoy taking many low contrast, low saturation photos, but when I put them online, they get next to no views, likes, feedback. A hyper saturated, contrasty photo, like the ones above, is much more likely to get attention. And these days, attention is more important than actually being good, meaningful, etc.
02-11-2015, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The black and white one has too much contrast and too many added gradients. But generally, photography is moving into this direction. Even back in film days some photographers published very saturated and contrasty photos. Now in the digital world, this is more and more popular. I suspect a large part of this is that we all see hundreds of images and photos every day, and the only way a photographer can make viewers notice and click his photo is if the thumbnail and photo are very vibrant, contrasty, so they jump out of the screen at the viewer. I enjoy taking many low contrast, low saturation photos, but when I put them online, they get next to no views, likes, feedback. A hyper saturated, contrasty photo, like the ones above, is much more likely to get attention. And these days, attention is more important than actually being good, meaningful, etc.
Loudness War comes to photography.
02-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I tend to agree, images are over cooked for my personal taste. But some, (like my mother who is not into photography) look at similar images and would say: "WOW, look at the amazing colours"
I will admit before getting into photography I was attacted to similar images, but after seeing so many images in this style I started to realise that the actual scene and composition really lacked in many.

In this particular instance, there is outstanding images which before being attacked by the saturation/vibrance sliders would have been a great showcase of composition.
02-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #13

Are you happy with your photos, do they give YOU that wow? If so, that is all what matters. Enjoy!
Would be interesting to see before processing photos to compare to your posts.
02-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They're a little overdone, but I won't knock anybody's preference or pretend that my opinion is the best. When I see an image and think, "HOLY COW that is BLUE/RED/ORANGE/GREEN!" whatever color, it's like... having a meal and you take a bite and say "HOLY COW that's a lot of SALT/PEPPER/CUMIN/GARLIC!" ... All of those things are good, important parts of the recipe, but if that flavor is overwhelming all of the other flavors/textures, it kind of makes the whole dish a little disappointing, because you can't appreciate the other aspects.

I do look at color first, but more is not better. Some of these images are tastefully processed and some are a little overdramatic. The scenes are beautiful, but the intensity and harshness of the processing makes it more difficult to appreciate some with a long look, although they are initially very eye-grabbing. The sharpness and composition is generally good, but the contrast and color seems to be consistently overworked... generally... since we're not talking about one particular image... but that's just my opinion.
02-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

wow, what a bunch of curmudgeons. do you see a pretty girl and think, "she's got a natural beauty to her if it weren't covered by makeup"? "her clothes a more suited for a movie set than this grocery store"?

what about pointillism, is that not really painting? or maybe impressionism or watercolor doesn't count.

this thread is a lot like another thread where a blogger wrote how he was disheartened by all the oversaturation/over sharpening

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/287764-will-rea...ml#post3141619

maybe we need to start a revolution, "Give me unsaturated photos, or give me death!" could be our war cry?

he, like many of us (and probably better than most of us) is marketing his work to the public in hopes of selling a few photos and making some money. this is what's selling, this style is what the buyers want. I actually have a couple rejection emails from higher end "fine art" galleries which state my images aren't "colorful or lively enough," ie they could use some more saturation.

You are looking at the images on a computer screen, a back lit LED/LCD electronic device probably no more than 3 feet away from your eyes. If the intended output is canvas (or metal which is my favorite) and the intended audience is viewing the image under gallery lights from 6-10 feet or further away, it's going to look VERY different. The first time I ever saw one of my photos in a gallery, it was a visual shock. At the risk of angering the "naturalist photographer" gods, I'm of the opinion, for gallery work, it's close to impossible to oversharpen and oversaturate.

This is how the "game" in 2015 is being played right now. (Have you ever tried to get Gallery space? Not the COLO kind where you pay for a wall, but the actual FREE kind where the Gallery Owner is invested in you work? You think a job interview is stressful? These are the kinds of photos that get THAT wall space, because these are the kinds of photos that sell.) I personally saw nothing wrong with the photos and a couple I would be proud to hang on my wall or exhibit in a gallery. A couple I have technical and/or artistic (compositional) issues with and a few elicit indifference because of subject matter. But as far as over saturation and oversharpening, I don't see anything wrong with what he's done.

Last edited by nomadkng; 02-11-2015 at 08:26 AM.