Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

PK mount for extension tubes

I was looking at Movo Photo AF Macro Extension Tube Set for Pentax DSLR Cameras with 20mm & 36mm Tubes (Metal Mount) at Amazon and wondered if this mount can be used on my K-3?
I am not sure what the difference is between the PK mount and the K mount.
Thank you
maria

02-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, Pentax K, PK, will work just fine on your K-3.
02-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yes, Pentax K, PK, will work just fine on your K-3.
Thank you so much. I am so amazed at how quickly someone will answer a question on this forum. You people are really great.
maria
02-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Some one else had pointed out those tubes. They appear to have all the connections including the power zoom/SDM contacts. I'm wonder if these are just rebadged Kooka tubes which also have the KAF3 connections.

If you purchase those, please post a detailed review. Thanks.

Third party lens and lens accessory makers usually refer to the K-mount as PK for Pentax K-mount I guess. On older lenses you'll see PK, PKA, sometimes with an R and slashes in there. A means it will usually have at least 6 pins and R means it will probably have a Ricoh pin too.

02-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got the kooka tubes. If you get them, make sure your lenses are quick shift! Hooking them up is a bit odd, and can be very troublesome (putting the tubes on in the field just won't work). If you then opt to manually focus your lens, and it happens to be an fa limited say, you'll find that the extra torque from the lens + attached mechanism in the tube, is painful on the ears, and will make you wince. If you only want to do autofocus macro, then they can be ok if you get them hooked up right. Personally though, I'd recommend saving up for a proper macro lens, or stick to super cheap tubes + old m /k lens.
02-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Some one else had pointed out those tubes. They appear to have all the connections including the power zoom/SDM contacts. I'm wonder if these are just rebadged Kooka tubes which also have the KAF3 connections.

If you purchase those, please post a detailed review. Thanks.

Third party lens and lens accessory makers usually refer to the K-mount as PK for Pentax K-mount I guess. On older lenses you'll see PK, PKA, sometimes with an R and slashes in there. A means it will usually have at least 6 pins and R means it will probably have a Ricoh pin too.
Thank you, if I get them I will review them as best I can.
maria

---------- Post added 02-11-15 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I've got the kooka tubes. If you get them, make sure your lenses are quick shift! Hooking them up is a bit odd, and can be very troublesome (putting the tubes on in the field just won't work). If you then opt to manually focus your lens, and it happens to be an fa limited say, you'll find that the extra torque from the lens + attached mechanism in the tube, is painful on the ears, and will make you wince. If you only want to do autofocus macro, then they can be ok if you get them hooked up right. Personally though, I'd recommend saving up for a proper macro lens, or stick to super cheap tubes + old m /k lens.
I have 2 really nice macro lenses, the 35mm limited and a Tamron 90mm. Both are great, I was only curious to see what extension tubes were capable of doing. I read about people using them and wanted to see how they functioned.
Thank you for the advice.
maria