Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Nervous about upcoming amateur photoshoot, just need a

Hello Dear PF Friends,

I'm a full blown amateur with some decent kit and just about always show up at gatherings and places with my k30

I have been invited to shoot a friend's band that is performing this Saturday.

I've shot them before and they were happy enough with the pics and the fact that it did not cost them anything I'm still glad to keep shooting for the fun, experience and hopefully good feedback.

I could and will look up some websites for tips and infos but wanted to share this here and now since I'm getting more and nervous and worked up about details as I prepare for the shoot.

I've seen a few vids on the past of tips and tricks one of which really appealed to me. It was a long exposure wide angle shot taken while "see-sawing" the camera back and forth while keeping the lens fixed on the subject which should result in pretty cool background. I'll look for the vid if I can find it and I'll practice this a little here at home with my kids and will hope for the best.

I have to get back to things here at home but any feedback, support and goodies are appreciated.

Oh, and my kit:

K30 + two batts, 16gb sd

DA* 50-135 + external flash

Canon 1000D

Tamron 17-50 + ext. flash, 6gb sd

Everything will be freshly charged but I'm bringing extra batteries anyway.

I'll have both cams set at F5.6 100 or 200iso, max 400 @180sec. exp.
I'll attempt some artistic expression but it will likely be pretty limited.

I'm getting cold fingers just typing this...

Again, thanks!

John

02-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you have some good ideas and seem to approach the gig with thought. Just relax and get your shots.
02-19-2015, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #3

Consider carrying an extra SD card. You would be surprised how quickly you can fill up your card, especially if you shoot RAW or RAW+. Also, consider shooting some burst series, might catch that magic photo or two. It is alright to be a bit nervous, but as you said, you've done this before, you have a plan...so have fun and enjoy!
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

leave the flash at home. I know from the perspective of a performer I hated it when the flash was going off in my face. when I played shows regularly I wanted to boot **ck photographers who were pointing flashes at me while I was singing.

Crank that ISO, shoot at 2.8, and keep shutter around 160 and you'll be fine (light depending). It's more important to get a well exposed image in camera thats sharp than it is to have low noise when it comes to concert photography. I rarely shoot under 1600 iso for concerts.

Use your tricks you got up your sleeve for different creative results and you'll be golden.

02-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
All good points!
I keep extra 8gb sd cards in each bag.
My flashes would be bounced and well I'll ask the band if they'll have a problem with flash. I'm for using just because the images will be brighter and crisper. So I'll leave this up to the band. I'm pretty certain they'll want the best images I can get

The no flash way makes me want to throw in the Sigma 50 1.4, which no doubt is a good application of such a lens.

I'll likely shoot one part flash and the other no flash.

Alright! I'm feeling better!
Thanks for the support!
02-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, leave the flash at home. I often have a chance to shoot some bands performing in a well known Club nearby. But it is allways "strictly no flash"!
Gold luck!
02-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some good threads here - search "stage photography" and "band" or "music" photography. Play with the light, play with your camera angles. don't be afraid to get on your knees, or get on a stepstool. Don't be afraid to go behind the drum kit, either. If the guys liked your work, they'll want to see what else you can do.

Oh, and process some of the images in black-and-white. It can completely transform an image.
02-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
A whole lot of awesome!

Hello Everyone!

Well I believe I had as great a time shooting as the band had playing.

Sunset has been together since about tens year playing many rock and roll classics and a handful of pop songs. Their song list is at the end of the below linked imgur album.

I shot intermittently with flash and from somewhat limited choice of angles. With exception of forgetting to set both cameras for RAW images I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

In the future I would attempt more overhead shots. The ceiling however was very low. I had concerns about leaving lenses and flash units lying on the table I was sitting at. Neither of my camera bags sits stable on a table but I believe it would be wise to place unused kit back in the bag and make sure someone I trust will make sure it does not walk away.

Mind you the venue, Rezeptur, is a little hole in the wall kinda place and the quality of people pretty good. In my opinion the likelihood of theft or negligence from others is low but Murphy's Law rules.

My longer exposure "rocking" shots need some work. I never did get to review that old video I recall seeing a long time ago.

Even though my Sigma 50/F1.4 did deliver I would bring a manual lens I have, a Revuenon 50/F1.2, next time, a challenging yet rewarding lens that has really grown onto me.

My primary shooter, the K30, battery lasted the shoot but was super dead the next day. It was my primary shooter.

I'm open to comments and criticism,
Shoot!! \o/

Thanks in advance!
John

Processed with Picasa3 for brightness and color.
Sunset@Rezeptur.Kronberg.21.2.15 - Album on Imgur

---------- Post added 02-28-15 at 03:16 PM ----------

Oh and flash was not a concern to anyone however I could see myself shooting without if needed.