Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polarising filters and lens hoods.

On the kit lens and I think some others there is a small section you can remove to enable you to align the polarising filter with the hood fitted.
Now that seems sensible to me as the angle that filter works to its best is a angle where ,with out a lens hood, flair is most likely.
So, why do not all hoods have this , and if all you have is a petal one or a solid one how are you supposed to turn the filter?

02-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
So, why do not all hoods have this
Pentax patented it.

QuoteQuote:
, and if all you have is a petal one or a solid one how are you supposed to turn the filter?
You either take the hood off or reach in and turn the filter by the edges. If it's not a deep hood, it's not too hard to do.
02-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I find it too difficult to adjust cpl from that little hole in hood so I use metal lens hoods srewed to filter tread and adjust pola from hood only
02-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
So, why do not all hoods have this?

Pentax patented it.
Patent doesn't stop 3rd party knockoffs from having this, on the 18-55 hood.

Last edited by csa; 02-22-2015 at 10:10 AM.
02-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

turn the filter by the edges
I agree

The little cut out works reasonably well, but it is quicker to just poke your finger from the front through the hood and turn. That little cut out gets lost very quickly
02-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Patent doesn't stop 3rd party knockoffs from having this, on the 18-55 hood.
Go ahead and take a Chinese manufacturer to court. They probably won't even attend and you'll be awarded whatever you ask for. Good luck collecting it--the Chinese government won't help you, so how do you plan to get it?

As Japanese companies, Sigma, Nikon, and Canon would be compelled to pay.
02-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go ahead and take a Chinese manufacturer to court. They probably won't even attend and you'll be awarded whatever you ask for. Good luck collecting it--the Chinese government won't help you, so how do you plan to get it?

As Japanese companies, Sigma, Nikon, and Canon would be compelled to pay.
Wow! I hadn't planned on taking anyone to court!! Just thought I'd mention that the knockoffs have this window!

02-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For a deep hood, I just take it off, set the CPL and put the hood back on.
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Canon is now offering cut-outs in their hoods for the new EF100-400 f/4 - google ET-83D and you will see that they have a sliding window to prevent you from losing the window. If Pentax has patented it, Canon has found a way around it.
02-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of Pentax round lens hoods from the Takumar, K & M Series, were clip-on/screw-in hoods.

These worked perfectly with a Polarizer as the hood clips on to/screws into the filter, so you just turn the hood to adjust the polarizer.

This works even better than the cut-out window.

Phil.
02-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #11

I don't know if the feature is patented or not - there is no patent number on the cover or hood - but this feature would add to manufacturing cost. If price is a selling point on a third party hood omitting the door would be one way to keep the cost down.

I find the opening useful when the hood is reversed and I am using manual focus.
02-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Canon is now offering cut-outs in their hoods for the new EF100-400 f/4 - google ET-83D and you will see that they have a sliding window to prevent you from losing the window. If Pentax has patented it, Canon has found a way around it.
I don't know if Pentax really patented theirs but Canon's approach for that hood is sufficiently different as far as patents go. One is removable piece, the other has a section that slides to open/close.
I've always feared to lose the piece on the pentax hoods, the Canon's approach is much better in that regard.
02-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
On my Tamron 17-50 I can stick my finger inside the hood and rotate the CP easily while looking through the viewfinder. If I couldn't do that I would probably take the hood off, set the CP angle, then put the good back on.
02-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #14

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've gone with the collapsable, screw on rubber type hoods. They screw onto the filter, and rotating the hood, rotates the filter, plus they collapse, so don't take up too much bag space.