Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
It might be a noob question but it is still a great question.

My immediate response is that it is the sense of place that makes that collection of photos so amazing.It takes you into the world of a bunch of people living their lives without all of the opportunities people like us take for granted.....

Have you considered going and living in a favela for a year or so?

I agree that the photos are technically good but I think that is secondary to the subject matter and the sensitivity with which the photographer has dealt with it.
Totally agree. It's the fact that he was able to get close and personal with these poeples that make the photos uniques. He could have used my gear and probably would have get just as good results. On the other hand, you could give me any gear you want and I would not be able to reproduce something even close to these pictures. Sure, its photos are technically flawless, but it's not what made them outstanding, it's what they show.

To get an idea of the difficulty behind the subjects in these pictures, just imagine trying to do the same kind of serie in your own neighborhood. Shooting your neighbours in their house, taking their shower, taking dinner or having some intimate moment... Doesn't sound that easy, is it ? Now, imagine taking perfect strangers in a far away city ? Amazingly difficult...

This guy is definetely at a very, very, very high level.

Last edited by CarlJF; 02-23-2015 at 01:02 PM.
02-23-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Step 1 - Interact with interesting subjects
02-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
how do I get my photos to look like this?
While we can admire other's photos, we should find our own style and work with it. Also posting your photos here, and asking member's critique will help you along the way to developing your own style. Who knows, in a few years; we may be admiring and asking the same question while viewing your work!
02-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Except for great capture, the editing style, is typical of TIME magazine style/color palette, I found magazine like Forbes has similar style too.

02-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not a noob question. In fact a great question. That scene isn't special; a playing field, electrical wires, a busy background. Something most of us pass every day. Three things make it stand out. The end of the day light over the city, the players on the field, and the lighting. He paints his scene with the light, my eye is drawn to this field in a somewhat incongruous place. Stare long enough at it and you can smell the dinners, hear the hush as a city settles down with the shouts of the players over it all.

I would have driven by.
02-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #21

Hey OP,

Want to see something really interesting? Contact him or see if you can find his earlier, even earliest photos.

Also, get out and shoot more and you'll soon be answering this question yourself.
Just kidding. No, not really.

Best to you and looking forward to seeing your pics!
John